Minecraft Pocket Edition Sells 21 Million Copies

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Minecraft Pocket Edition Sells 21 Million Copies

Minecraft Pocket Edition is now officially the biggest of them all and Mojang is celebrating with an "ask the devs (almost) anything" next week.

The Xbox 360 edition of Minecraft recently broke million [http://news.xbox.com/2014/04/games-minecraft-12m] in late January, but it wasn't released until December 2013, so that's fair. And yet the Minecraft Pocket Edition dwarfs them all, as developer Jens Bergenstein tweeted earlier today that it has now surpassed 21 million units sold.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/453900156388528128]

To mark the occasion, Bergenstein, along with Minecraft Pocket Edition developers Johan Bernhardsson and Tommaso Checchi, will take part in a live broadcast from the Mojang office on Reddit.

"We're hoping to harness the collective power of our Pocket Edition players to submit questions to this reddit thread [http://www.reddit.com/r/MCPE/comments/22lf0s/questions_for_dev_panel_on_monday_april_14/]. Then we'll pick the best ones and put them to the team live on air," Mojang wrote. "This is all in celebration of hitting over 20m sales of Pocket Edition just a few days ago. We're extremely grateful to all players for your dedication and creativity. Without that, Minecraft wouldn't be anywhere near as significant as it is today."

The timing of the AM(A)A hasn't been locked down but a recording of the session will be uploaded after the fact.

Source: Mojang [https://mojang.com/2014/04/ask-the-pocket-edition-devs-almost-anything/]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
You know...I really should play Minecraft one of these days. I've still never played it, and I don't have a copy on anything surprisingly. XD

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Neronium said:
You know...I really should play Minecraft one of these days. I've still never played it, and I don't have a copy on anything surprisingly. XD
It's not worth the hype, but it IS worth a purchase and a playthrough.

OT: Not bad at all, Mojang. I'll be popping in throughout that AM(A)A.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Neronium said:
You're not alone. I only played the PC demo for the first time yesterday. I've been playing the pocket edition on the other hand, for months. Its addicting to be able to play it anywhere. Even though it seems gimped compared to the desktop version, there's still so much to do in it. Supposedly, when the pocket edition gets to version 0.9 infinite worlds and other stuff from the pc version will even be added

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I'm waiting for this headline to one day show up.

"Mojang releases Minecraft: Toaster Oven Edition, sells 30 million copies."

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Minecraft is the new Tetris. What do I mean (aside from being a game about blocks)? For years the metric of if something is a legitimate gaming machine was if it played Tetris: including home gaming consoles, home computers, handheld video games, graphing calculators, LEGO stop motion, office buildings, etc. It can play Tetris, it is a gaming machine.

Minecraft is that equivalent today (sure everything still plays Tetris, but it doesn't have the same meaning as it once did). If it modern and doesn't have Minecraft it is an incomplete gaming machine, or not a gaming machine at all.

PC: Minecraft
Mac: Minecraft
360: 360 edition
PS3: PS3 edition

Wii: no minecraft
3DS: no minecraft
Vita: no minecraft
WiiU: no minecraft
PS4: no minecraft
XB1: no minecraft

Wii, 3DS, Vita, WiiU, PS4 and XB1 are incomplete.

iPhone: pocket edition
Android: pocket edition
Kindle: pocket edition
Windows Phone: no minecraft

Windows Phone is not a gaming platform.

However Nintendo does operate on a different metric which is: Does it play Super Mario Bros. (1)? in which case for the Nintendo standard, Wii, 3DS, and WiiU are all completeish. Nintendo is happy off playing by its own rules, but Minecraft on WiiU would be a better world.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
Are people still playing minecraft? I got bored of that game pretty soon after it was launched its fun at first but its just the same shit over and over after a while.

Please someone explain why people can play it so much? So much so that now they need a mobile version.

Alhazred

May 10, 2012
Chareater said:
Are people still playing minecraft? I got bored of that game pretty soon after it was launched its fun at first but its just the same shit over and over after a while.

Please someone explain why people can play it so much? So much so that now they need a mobile version.
Played as a straight, single player survival game, I'll be the first to admit that Minecraft gets old fast. Combat is rubbish, surviving is piss-easy once you get a farm of some sort going, and the game has barely any progression at all. Modpacks like Technic help to liven things up, but if anything they just make the game even easier.

And yet, I still play Minecraft more than any other game besides WoW. Why? Because its creative sandbox aspect really appeals to me. I've poured far too many hours of my life into building stuff; it's just really relaxing somehow.