Ghost Recon: Phantoms Launch Trailer: Fight Together Or Die Alone

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ghost Recon: Phantoms Launch Trailer: Fight Together Or Die Alone

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Phantoms is now available on Steam.

The free-to-play online shooter Ghost Recon: Phantoms, formerly known as Ghost Recon Online, went live on Steam today and that means it's time for a launch trailer! And this one has a point to make, too. See, Ghost Recon: Phantoms is a team-based shooter, the operative word being "team," and in case that's not clear enough, this trailer is entitled "Fight Together or Die Alone."

Still not sinking in? Okay, notice how the red guy - the Phantom - is all alone out there, taking on three blue guys - the Ghosts? He seems to do pretty well for himself, all things considered, but he's alone, while the other guys are together. And eventually his solitary ways catch up to him, and in the end he dies alone at the hands of those who are fighting together. So, the lesson: alone bad, together good. Got it?

Sorry about the spoiler. Here are some screens to make up for it.

[gallery=2325]

It's a pretty groovy trailer and hopefully the game will be decent too, although I'm less than thrilled by the third-person perspective. Luckily, you can give Ghost Recon: Phantoms a rip without having to blow any money on it, as it's a free-to-play release that you can grab now from Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/243870/].

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I really enjoyed Future Soldier when it came out. The multiplayer was fantastic and yeah you needed teamwork to win or you got picked off and hacked (a really cool addition that revealed enemies). Only problem was not enough people used headsets and stupidly for a game that concentrated on teamwork they didn't have co-op. Though multiplayer died out quickly on ps3.

Oh and it had fantastic gun customisation.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
F said:
I really enjoyed Future Soldier when it came out. The multiplayer was fantastic and yeah you needed teamwork to win or you got picked off and hacked (a really cool addition that revealed enemies). Only problem was not enough people used headsets and stupidly for a game that concentrated on teamwork they didn't have co-op. Though multiplayer died out quickly on ps3.

Oh and it had fantastic gun customisation.
Just going to post to confirm this, even though the game may look more "casual" it wasnt, it really needed teamwork and tactics, just not the sort of tactics that could be applied in the real world since the game wasnt exactly as realistic as the other Ghost Recons.

A great game that really didnt live that long.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
GHOST RECON SPACE SHUTTLE DOOR GUNNER!

I know that normal Ghost recon might get washed out in the sea of modern shooters without doing the super duper future tech, but i just have no interest in future tech...

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
I was planning on getting and (even if it was briefly) enjoying this. Until I saw a combined total of $154 "dlc" (AKA starter packs and such) already up to purchase.

Nope. I can't do it.

I'll most likely still download and try it within a day or two anyway...

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
I wonder if the name change has anything to do with all the bad press GR:O was getting for it's awful 100% pay-to-win "micro" transactions. The kind where gear better than anything purchasable with in-game currency can only be obtained with real-money currency.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Toastngravy said:
I was planning on getting and (even if it was briefly) enjoying this. Until I saw a combined total of $154 "dlc" (AKA starter packs and such) already up to purchase.
But the core game is free. Grab it, play it, get the DLC you want and have fun. I like to look at as an indicator of choice: With that much DLC available, there's gotta be something you'll want to throw a few bucks at.