GTA V's Microtransactions - "The Gift That Keeps on Giving," Says CEO

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
GTA V's Microtransactions - "The Gift That Keeps on Giving," Says CEO

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Hey Rockstar Games. Evacuate now. Just evacuate. Just run. Go, quickly, while you still have a soul!

This is like captain america suddenly transforming into hitler.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Is he talking about the feature where you can spend real money to buy in-game money... which you can then lose when people steal it off your corpse, or if you stop playing for too long?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Is he talking about the feature where you can spend real money to buy in-game money... which you can then lose when people steal it off your corpse, or if you stop playing for too long?
He is, and it scares me. I have loved GTA since vice city and I like bully scholarship edition too. But this kind of attitude, you know he's not going to treat the devs well. With lines like that, it can only mean he wants more of that kind of thing. And it scares me.

That's the kind of shit that leads to dungeon keeper mobile.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
That's just fucked up. Someone goes into a company that had been focussed on providing excellent content at one price (at least as he describes it) with the goal of introducing the devil's pricing model and is happy with his success. Shoot me please.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I hate microtransactions and if GTA$ wasn't so easy to get in game, this would really piss me off but after playing GTAV & GTAO for the past half a year, and enjoying the constant updates, I'm tempted to buy one. I've gotten way more play out of that disc than I usually get for $60. What's holding me off is a)I have plenty of GTA$ & b) when they do start charging for dlc, I'm sure it'll be at a premium price. But hey, I support this instance of microtransactions, if it wasn't for all these people buying shark cards, I probably wouldn't be enjoying as much free dlc.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
The last time I heard that expression was from this guy:

To me this will now be the face of a Mr Strauss Zelnick.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I imagine Rockstar HQ has been a nonstop party locale the last few months. This furthers my theory.

Honestly, I can understand the viewpoint, but let us hope he doesn't take it too far.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
god this is so cynical... while this current iteration isn't exactly problematic, money is easy enough to earn and purchasing the cash is competely optional, and many people don't do it. HOWEVER... this seems to foretell a darker future where microtransactions permeate deeper into the system. pay a dollar to unlock the RPG earlier. pay a dollar to increase your ammo capacity. pay a dollar to remove cooldowns.

i hope this is just a greedy person celebrating his windfall, and not a call to arms of sorts. i hope Rockstar is able to stand up and prevent this from becoming a standard in their games.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Racecarlock said:
Casual Shinji said:
He is, and it scares me. I have loved GTA since vice city and I like bully scholarship edition too. But this kind of attitude, you know he's not going to treat the devs well. With lines like that, it can only mean he wants more of that kind of thing. And it scares me.

That's the kind of shit that leads to dungeon keeper mobile.
GTA has certainly become the epitomy of hypocrisy. Constantly shoving criticism of capitalism in our face, while in the meantime selling millions and persuing very shady business practices.

Still holding out for a Bully 2 though. *fingers crossed*

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
that's kind of sensationalist though,with a bit of a lack of understanding of the game mechanics. even if you have millions of dollars on you, you drop $500 on death.

it's not like you drop your entire on-hand cash supply every time you die.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Casual Shinji said:
that's kind of sensationalist though,with a bit of a lack of understanding of the game mechanics. even if you have millions of dollars on you, you drop $500 on death.

It's still real cash (however little) bleeding away, in many instantces due to no fault of your own. And then there's the issue that you lose money (as well as level progress) if you stop playing for too long. Unless they patched that shit out.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012

Well at least he hasn't formally declared that GTA6 will be a free to play mobile title...Yet....

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
say what you want about microtransactions but the main problem in gta online are those "exceptional individuals" who camp outside the apartment buildings all day long with a tank
its what drove me away from multiplayer in the first place and now anyone who spends a little money can do it.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Wait people actually use MT's in GTA online? All there is is the ability to buy currency. It blows my mind that people would buy fake money in that game given that GTAO has been plagued with money glitches since launch till now. I think there are still glitches now even after the latest patch.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Casual Shinji said:

It's still real cash (however little) bleeding away, in many instantces due to no fault of your own. And then there's the issue that you lose money (as well as level progress) if you stop playing for too long. Unless they patched that shit out.
yeah, i'm not too sure about degradation. although, i can confirm that every in-game day you are charged a fee for your mechanic and utilities. the nicer the house, the higher the fees. i have the nicest apartment in the game currently. Eclipse Towers, Apt. 31, and i'm charged $125 a day for the upkeep. so, in that way i can confirm that you do lose money, although i can not confirm that you lose it at the same rate during extensive periods of absence.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I was telling some fellow players when DLC was just starting to boycott it and buy actual expansion packs. This was the reason I was against DLC. Greedy CEO and shareholders swindling customers. But my voice is meaningless so few heard it and those few that did ignored it.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
heroicbob said:
say what you want about microtransactions but the main problem in gta online are those "exceptional individuals" who camp outside the apartment buildings all day long with a tank
its what drove me away from multiplayer in the first place and now anyone who spends a little money can do it.
That was one of the many reasons why I mainly used the private mode in GTAO. I don't mind microtransactions when they are just used to sell purely cosmetic items.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Sounds like Rock star are planning to be the new King, with all that that entails

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Meh, still never had any reason to buy money so cant really complain. Im saving some money now to buy a buzzard and the only expenses that I am having is the need to buy ammo, other then that I just stopped pimping out cars and my character and I will eventually be able to buy it.