Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall Won't Get a Digital Version on Xbox 360

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
"represent the true titanfall experience"...

what?

how does a distribution method change the content of the game? unless i'm missing something here, but since when has a digital purchase made a significant difference to the game, let alone a difference enough to be considered as "not the true titanfall experience".

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
That's the chances of me getting it dropped considerably. These days I rarely go out my way to buy a physical copy of a game so unless its decently priced via digital (Live/Steam/etc) then its highly unlikely I'll get it. Shame.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
the only thing i can think that makes this make sense is comparing it to the GTA V installation. When the game first came out, Rockstar said that for best performance, do not install the play disc. the problem being that the second disc, the one meant for installation, is being read off the hard drive, and trying to read the installation of the first disc also from the hard drive causes a bottleneck of information dispersal. for better performance, they said the game would run better if the second disc was being read off the hard drive while the first was being read off the disc. (or course, GTA V is available on Games on Demand so.... yeah)

that being said, i'm not familiar with Titanfall's disc situation or programming structure. maybe it was built in such a way that magic doesn't tingle with the digital mojo of the number number jungle madness.

technically speaking.

CAPTCHA: it's time to listen. excellent point CAPTCHA, maybe EA and Respawn shouldn't underestimate the consumer and just be transparent, tell us specifically WHY it's not a possibility. even if most people don't understand it, we'll all appreciate the effort, and won't automatically assume there's a nefarious corporate reasoning behind it, which we are all inclined to do anytime EA is involved.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I guess that the data stream on the harddrive is so busy, it has to load both from the disk and the harddrive. But still, that's unexcusable, you can still install the game on a USB thumbdrive and use it in conjuction with your harddrive, but I guess that method isn't well known or as widely used.

Also GTA V, the game that should use both the disk and harddrive is available through Games on Demand. So yeah, that's kinda BS EA.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Probably because the 360 version looks nearly as good as the Xbone version and is cheaper they don't want it hurting sales of the flagship version

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
suitepee7 said:
"represent the true titanfall experience"...

what?

how does a distribution method change the content of the game? unless i'm missing something here, but since when has a digital purchase made a significant difference to the game, let alone a difference enough to be considered as "not the true titanfall experience".
This is what I'm thinking. I thought it was going to be something to do with market demographics and the like, finding that, for some reason, the vast majority of people who would buy titanfall 360 would buy a physical disc.

But "Not the true titanfall experience"?

If they're talking performance, they're talking out of their ass. Generally, games installed on hard drive, either from games on demand or from a disc, perform better.

Maybe they're hoping to encourage players to trade in for xbox one titanfall if/when they upgrade, which, because reasons (seriously, someone explain why downloadable games aren't backwards compatible), wouldn't be possible if it was downloaded.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Trying to get a few holdouts to upgrade their Xbox to the new model? Hassle them!

They're fulfilling their promise of making it available, but their making it as inconvenient as they can for people who don't own the new console. Got a new Xbox? Here it is for download. You could be playing in hours. Got an old Xbox? Well, looks like you'll have to stop shaving the goat, hop on the lawn mower, and drive to the nearest game store to buy yourself a copy, all the while overexposed to all that shiny new Xbox One fanfare. Or there's Amazon, where the earliest you could be playing would be the next day, which would have a lot of the more impulsive people I know grinding their teeth into stumps. Bet you wish you had a new console now, don't you?

The 'true Titanfall experience' involves going to the store to buy the disk... where they're hoping like hell you also buy an Xbox One along with it and not have to have this problem.

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
Doclector said:
Maybe they're hoping to encourage players to trade in for xbox one titanfall if/when they upgrade, which, because reasons (seriously, someone explain why downloadable games aren't backwards compatible), wouldn't be possible if it was downloaded.
But that wouldn't change how much money they got from the purchase. People are gonna have to buy the game twice if they want to play it if they upgrade, whether they trade in their old copy and buy the flagship version, or whether they simply download it twice.
If anything, in fact, it would make them less money as the physical media would have associated packaging and distribution costs and last time I checked, Games On Demand downloads cost the same as their physical counterparts. Although, granted, I haven't checked in a while.
tacotrainwreck said:
Trying to get a few holdouts to upgrade their Xbox to the new model? Hassle them!

The 'true Titanfall experience' involves going to the store to buy the disk... where they're hoping like hell you also buy an Xbox One along with it and not have to have this problem.
I honestly can't see how EA would benefit from Xbox One sales. Each Titanfall unit costs roughly the same price (on US Amazon anyways) so it's not as if they get extra cash for every X1 version of Titanfall. And I highly doubt Microsoft gives EA money every time someone buys an Xbox One.

I genuinely believe it's an actual technical problem.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
If only have a physical version not digital you can limit the supply however you want to. So you can make it harder to get on 360 so people will think "screw it , I'll splash out on a xbox one"

Or you can mysteriously stop sending out new copies near Christmas to have the same effect

Cynical outlook i know, but I'm a cynical person .... and this is the only reason that makes sense to me since downloadable versions should perform better/make them more money, they are trying to limit the supply.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Whats strange is that every time I've started up my Xbox in the last week there's been a countdown timer telling me that there's x days y hours z minutes until Titanfall is available. Assuming that I cared, both EA and I would presumably want to be able to click a button to sell/buy a copy instantly.

It may well be that there is a valid technical reason why they can't run it from the hard drive. I remember that F1 2010 had a similar problem where if you installed it on the hard drive it would seriously downgrade the frame rate. There may be something similar going on here. It'll be interesting once the game is out to see how it runs once you install it onto the hard-drive.

The real problem here is the marketing speak, i.e. the belief that saying "a GoD copy doesn't represent the true Titanfall experience" is better somehow than saying "we're really sorry, but we are pushing the hardware so hard*, and using the hard-drive so intensively, that we need to run the game from the disc", which would be more understandable.

Despite the conspiracy theories, I can't really see how EA benefits from no digital copies of the game, given that a digital copy can't be resold and can be set at any price by the publisher. But being so vague and insincere about it is obviously going to feed the "EA is doing something evil" rumour mill.

*(whether or not this is true or an excuse for coding problems)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
the only thing i can think that makes this make sense is comparing it to the GTA V installation. When the game first came out, Rockstar said that for best performance, do not install the play disc. the problem being that the second disc, the one meant for installation, is being read off the hard drive, and trying to read the installation of the first disc also from the hard drive causes a bottleneck of information dispersal. for better performance, they said the game would run better if the second disc was being read off the hard drive while the first was being read off the disc. (or course, GTA V is available on Games on Demand so.... yeah)
This is basically what I was thinking, considering the 360's limited RAM I seriously think their relying on the hard drive as a cache drive from the disk, if you run the game off the hard drive then there will be too much data trying to get through and the game will lag or crash.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I honestly can't see how EA would benefit from Xbox One sales. Each Titanfall unit costs roughly the same price (on US Amazon anyways) so it's not as if they get extra cash for every X1 version of Titanfall. And I highly doubt Microsoft gives EA money every time someone buys an Xbox One.

I genuinely believe it's an actual technical problem.
Does EA plan on getting profits on selling more Xbox ones? Probably not. Do they plan to release a heaping majority of their future games on the new system? Most likely. Does that mean they stand to gain if there are more next gen consoles purchased? Sounds like it. Since we're only speculating here, If I were an EA exec, I'd do what I could to encourage purchase of the new kid on the block where most of my games will be landing. The design (and hype) around Titanfall makes it pretty obvious it was designed to sell next gen systems. No better way to do that than by demonstrating how last gen will be inferior in every way.

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
What does the quality of the experience have to do with how the game is distributed? I'm fine with the decision to only offer physical 360 copies, but can they not do better when making up their justifications?

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Fasckira said:
That's the chances of me getting it dropped considerably. These days I rarely go out my way to buy a physical copy of a game so unless its decently priced via digital (Live/Steam/etc) then its highly unlikely I'll get it. Shame.
Then just buy it for PC. You just said you have Steam so by power of deduction you must have a PC.

As for why, they just need to admit that they don't think it will sell that well and that it's not worth paying Microsoft to put it up on their online store.