Third X-Men: DOFP Trailer Brings Mutants, Mayhem

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Third X-Men: DOFP Trailer Brings Mutants, Mayhem

Newest (and possibly final) trailer for the superhero blockbuster shows tons of characters, action

Fox has released the biggest trailer yet for the much-anticipated return of director Bryan Singer to the Marvel movie franchise he helped launch over a decade ago; which reveals what may be the full roster of major characters, their respective mutant powers and the giant robot Sentinel enemies.

As with previous recent advertisements for the film, a big moment is afforded to Evan Peters the new character Quicksilver; who (owing to a shared-rights situation between two studios) will also appear in Marvel Studios The Avengers: Age of Ultron next year, though played by a different actor and with a (presumably) different backstory.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm guessing the whole Quicksilver thing pretty much cements that X-Men and Avengers aren't sharing a universe...

Also, I find it a bit sad how X-Men, who were one of the franchises that really sparked this ongoing superhero craze we've been having for the past decade, have been overshadowed by the Avengers-universe continuity. Would have been nice if they tied into it, though...

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country" GG Fox. GG.

Jandau said:
I'm guessing the whole Quicksilver thing pretty much cements that X-Men and Avengers aren't sharing a universe...

Also, I find it a bit sad how X-Men, who were one of the franchises that really sparked this ongoing superhero craze we've been having for the past decade, have been overshadowed by the Avengers-universe continuity. Would have been nice if they tied into it, though...
I could just imagine it now...Avengers VS X-men.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Whoa, what?

There's mutants in this XMen movie? Yeah, I know one person who won't be seeing it then.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Sentinals look like the most generic robot toys you always passed in the aisles of the toy shop when making your way to the good stuff. The cartoon Sentinals, while no less silly, were at least intimidating. What is it with robots in movies from the last decade looking so terrible?

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
The SentinEls look retarded, agreed. However they are as big as is probably viable for a bipedal robot that is supposed to to high mobility combat versus a diversified opfor for a price that is reasonable.

And since you market it to americans, the toy look is kinda mandatory.

btw:
I vote for dinklage winning this.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
The Sentinals look like the most generic robot toys you always passed in the aisles of the toy shop when making your way to the good stuff. The cartoon Sentinals, while no less silly, were at least intimidating. What is it with robots in movies from the last decade looking so terrible?
Well for movie purposses the make sense.

Don't think people would respond to well to police robots bigger than a house.
And they wouldn't be all that practical either.
although, now i think of it, i don't think it was all that clear to the animators of the cartoon show how big they actually were.

And the look of them, well that's a mather of fact overtaking fiction in development.

X1/3 were good but not great (X3 being the least).
And first class was a bit beter.

But must say, these trailers are selling the movie to me.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
So... this is gonna suck. Looks generic as fuck with neither the X-Men nor the Sentinels looking the part. And don't tell me that "THE ORIGINAL DESIGNS WOULDN'T WORK ON FILM HERP-DERP", because I've got three words for ya: Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Did I just see Wolverine pop his Bone-claws.
I'm really curious how this fits in with the continuity.

And wasn't young Prof X crippled at the end of First Class?
Or will this not be a sequel to that movie?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Creedsareevil said:
The SentinEls look retarded, agreed. However they are as big as is probably viable for a bipedal robot that is supposed to to high mobility combat versus a diversified opfor for a price that is reasonable.

Jeroenr said:

although, now i think of it, i don't think it was all that clear to the animators of the cartoon show how big they actually were.
It's not even the size, it's that they look flimsy. They don't exude any sort of strength or weight. They look plastic-y and comprised of just plates.

And a lot of robots in current movies suffer from this. Whether it's Iron Man, the new Robocop, Transformers... All of them feel like just a mess of plates.

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
I'm usually fairly flexible with how faithful to the source material something has to be, but this one just seems to have the name and the catalyst the same as the original story. I don't mind (too much) using Wolverine instead of Sprite/Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde as the one sent back through time to prevent the world from going to hell in a hand basket, but why have her be the one with the ability to send his mind back into the past. Well, other than being able to say "Hey, we brought back Ellen Page! She's still cool, right?"

And I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but why is everyone except Marvel fully willing to embrace the "Yes, we're making a comic book movie and sometimes that means weird stuff is happens?" This is referencing the clip that was released a couple of days ago, not the new trailer, that shows some of the mutants (Bishop, Blink, Iceman, Sunspot and Colossus) fighting some Sentinels in a library. Bishop has Sunspot hit him with some of his power to give him an energy boost, but instead of just being able to release that energy from his hands (as in the source material) he's physically attached to an oversized gun. Why can you go 3/4's of the way there...and then quit? Why bother at all using him then?

I really enjoyed X-Men: First Class. I really did. But I just have a lot of reservations about this one.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Darth Marsden said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QLd1QLkMcM

...you're welcome, peeps in the UK.
Cheers for that. :)

OT: Trailer is certainly interesting enough for me to put the release date in my calendar. The combined cast looks like it could be a lot of fun, but it's the return of Bryan Singer that gives me the most optimism.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Suddenly young Xavier, seemingly after he started his school for the gifted, can walk? How many timelines are they cramming into this?

I really liked First Class, but I think I'll wait until Wolverine and Friends: Time Traveling to Smooth over Inconsistencies airs on TV to watch it.

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Creedsareevil said:

Jeroenr said:

It's not even the size, it's that they look flimsy. They don't exude any sort of strength or weight. They look plastic-y and comprised of just plates.

And a lot of robots in current movies suffer from this. Whether it's Iron Man, the new Robocop, Transformers... All of them feel like just a mess of plates.
Considering that the amount of agility and mobility outright forbids a heavy frame and that modern engineering tends towards light but durable materials, you have to aknowledge that a huge, hulking heavy robot is probably not the way to go.

If its big and heavy it has to be able to deal with the consequences of that. That aside: Mimicking the range of human movement on a combat capable highly mobile frame is a tall order. It is then supposed to pack guns, ammo, powersource etc...

A lightweight frame with artificial muscles and tendons made from, going on a limb here, carbon fibers and stuff like that is probably more realistic then a heavy hydraulic juggernaught. A light armor plating covering vital areas is most likely the maximum you wanna put on a light frame.

The Iron Man armor is already laden with problem, no need to go further. Lets just say that its ability to absorb kinetic schock is truly otherwordly. Oh. And the sweat. And the heat. Th suit sure is good in preventing tony from slowly cooking.... and all in that... well... thin frame...

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Creedsareevil said:

Jeroenr said:

Metal is being replaced with plastics and composite materials more and more.
We already have humanoid robots in real life, and they start to look more like toy's as well.
even the military ones.

But i think using CGI also has a role in it, animatronics does often gives things a real presence.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Ranorak said:
Did I just see Wolverine pop his Bone-claws.
I'm really curious how this fits in with the continuity.

And wasn't young Prof X crippled at the end of First Class?
Or will this not be a sequel to that movie?
It goes after Wolverine in Japan. In that movie:
Wolverine lost the adamantium in his claws (and only his claws, the rest of his skeleton still has it), and he regenerated bone claws

I guess they will say that the injury in First Class did not cripple Charles; after all, there is still the issue that he can walk in Wolverine Origins and the flashbacks in X3.