Report: Amazon Glasses-Free 3D Interface Smartphone Images Leak

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The idea is kind of cool but as with almost everything 3D the price doesnt justify the need of it for most people.

And doesnt the 3DS use a different system? This one tracks your face and adjusts the image accordingly giving the illusion of 3D, something like this:

I dont think that the 3DS is like that since the image in here wont be blurry for someone else that isnt the user, just distorted.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
SourMilk said:
josemlopes said:
The idea is kind of cool but as with almost everything 3D the price doesnt justify the need of it for most people.

And doesnt the 3DS use a different system? This one tracks your face and adjusts the image accordingly giving the illusion of 3D, something like this:

I dont think that the 3DS is like that since the image in here wont be blurry for someone else that isnt the user, just distorted.
The 3DS and that lot uses Stereograms, the ones you get headaches from.
however the red/blue filters is done at the monitor level instead of having to wear spectacles

That youtube link you provided does not do that.
Yes, I just asked because the news post compared the tech of the phone with the tech of the 3DS but overall they seem very different (the phone using tech similar to the video I posted, I think)

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
I had a glasses free 3d phone, the lg thrill, it was a cool gimmick and worked really well. But there was just nothing to do with it. I think its really unlikely amazon is going to find enough developers willing to put in time to make something interesting for one single phone model that isn't the iphone.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
The actual ability to shift images based on viewer perspective is truer 3D than the 3DS, 3D TVs and 3D cinema. Those systems always looked like 2-4 layers of cardboard cut outs with no real depth to individual elements, like a diorama for a school project come to life. I've seen head tracking projects from both individuals and small company prototyping groups, but this is the first I've heard of a commercial product.

Still, 3D is a gimmick in almost every application you can think of. Being able to shift your head to see a different angle of an object is neat, although if you spend the time to code that functionality you can just make the object rotatable by the user. It might work with multi-user situations like advertizing is public places and special effects in amusement parks and fun houses. Even with this impressive tech people are only going to use it the five minutes or so it seems cool. I wouldn't want to contort my wrists at weird angles all the time because that's how a menu or game is controlled.
HalloHerrNoob said:
Also, what happens if I wear (sun)glasses, or it is dark? What if there are more people (would be fun if you could trick the cameras to register one of your eyes and one of the eyes of someone else).
I don't think sunglasses are very infrared transparent, but if it's dark I'd assume it would have a few IR LEDs to illuminate your face without being noticeable to you if the screen didn't provide enough light. Security cameras today have tons around the lens to help see in the dark without giving a robber any light to work with or spot the camera's view. IR LEDs have an ever so faint red glow in the dark that it wouldn't bother anyone looking at a screen right next to the LEDs.