Square Enix Says DRM Is Here To Stay

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Square Enix Says DRM Is Here To Stay

Square Enix says that despite its many flaws, digital rights management will be an essential part of the video game industry for a long time to come.

DRM may be the bane of your existence, but don't expect it to go away any time soon. That's the message from Square Enix, delivered by Square Enix America Senior Manager of Business and Legal Affairs Adam Sullivan, who told TorrentFreak that copy protection in one form or another is necessary and here to stay.

As much as gamers don't like DRM, game publishers do, for one simple reason: profit, which Sullivan described as "the primary benefit" of DRM. He acknowledged that measuring the effectiveness of copy protection as it relates to sales is difficult, but seemed to suggest that "data available to us through our sales team and various vendors, along with consumer feedback" indicates that it does provide some degree of success in protecting against loss.

The key to effective DRM, Sullivan explained, is that it can't come between the player and the game, which as we all know is a dicey proposition at best. "It's not uncommon for people to get a new computer every few years, or to have multiple computers. Sometimes they don't have reliable internet connections," he said. "There's no perfect solution yet."

The most obvious solution to the problem of DRM is no DRM, but that's not likely to happen any time soon. "I think DRM will be essential for the foreseeable future," Sullivan said. "So long as we're concerned about things like data privacy, account sharing and hacking, we'll need some form of DRM."

Personally, I'd love to see a widespread return of the code wheel [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_wheel], but beyond that I suspect that DRM as a whole is doomed to be more trouble than its worth - for the foreseeable future, at least.

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/square-enix-drm-boosts-profits-and-its-here-to-stay-140415/]

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Is today the day where developers try to make gamers as angry as possible?

First we had the Candy Crush moron mouthing off about how Microtransactions are the future and how hardcore gamers should stop complaining. And now we have this steaming pile of horse manure about DRM being here to stay from Square Enix.........

Jesus, when did developers start to actively hate us? Like, I know the console manufacturers have loathed us for years, but when developers get in on the action, it really starts to worry me.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well square enix can suck my royal ring-piece as far as im concerned. They ruined Thief, tomb raider (sort of) and final fantasy quite spectacularly. Not that im bitter or anything.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"So long as we're concerned about things like data privacy, account sharing and hacking, we'll need some form of DRM."
GOG has my info, does it need DRM? Its sounds a lot like bullshit to me, at least just launch the games on Steam if the industry is this paranoid.

Oct 20, 2010

2 steps forward, ten miles backwards. Guess It's a good thing I keep my Viking Long Axe sharp and rust-free.

EDIT my Picard face-palm failed........the captain is not plased with me.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
This would be dangerous if SE were still a big factor in the games industry. Thankfully they have done a marvelous job at destroying nearly every IP they could get a hold of.

Oddly enough the best IP's they own are the ones they give the least attention and think won't sell (ex: bravely default).

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Did all the companies out there purposely choreograph their anti-consumer announcements to fall on the same day to minimize attention or something, what is happening today, Jesus.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Okay Squeenix, if you insist, welcome to the boycott!

Andy Chalk said:
He acknowledged that measuring the effectiveness of copy protection as it relates to sales is difficult, but seemed to suggest that "data available to us through our sales team and various vendors, along with consumer feedback" indicates that it does provide some degree of success in protecting against loss.
That sounds dubious at best, in particular the consumer feedback portion of it. This sounds more like they want DRM and will just claim that any numbers they see clearly show preference towards DRM. Luckily for me, there is nothing Squeenix makes anymore that I'm interested in.

[small]unless they start making good Dragon Quest games again, then this will be a painful boycott[/small]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
GAunderrated said:
This would be dangerous if SE were still a big factor in the games industry. Thankfully they have done a marvelous job at destroying nearly every IP they could get a hold of.

Oddly enough the best IP's they own are the ones they give the least attention and think won't sell (ex: bravely default).
Lest us not forget Just Cause also. Im still waiiiiiting for an announcement annnny time soon!

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
There's something wrong with DRM when a pirate gets better service than a legitimate user.

And from a customer's point of view, that should basically be the only test needed to see if your DRM is good or not. Seriously - never treat your legit users like criminals; we're the ones actually supporting your products.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
He's not wrong, company's are generally unwilling to invest in platforms where they're unable to limit improper use of their products. A DRM solution that's not horribly obnoxious (probably a Steam-like solution)is optimal.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
DRM doesn't work. Not a game out there that can't be pirated. A lot of the time the pirated games are easier to install then the legal ones. So....... How does DRM actually work in bringing in more money?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Um... before we all shout "BOYCOTT Square Enix!" and all that... can we maybe ask what the context of this quote is? Square Enix isn't exactly known for having draconian DRM so, it just seems kind of odd for it to even come up in an interview with someone from Square Enix.

I don't know, I kind of just have to shrug this off as non-news given the source isn't even in any lists of top DRM offenders.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
He's not wrong, company's are generally unwilling to invest in platforms where they're unable to limit improper use of their products. A DRM solution that's not horribly obnoxious (probably a Steam-like solution)is optimal.
He is wrong, because there is no such thing as "a platform where they're able to limit improper use of their products". It simply can't be done. This is the information era, you are not capable of sending out digital information to computer owners, and effectively stop them from re-using and copying and editing said information.

DRM just doesn't work, on a conceptual level, because ultimately, to put DRM on a file that you expect to distribute to your audience, means that you have to ship them a product locked away in a locked chest so they can't take it out and share it with others, but then send a key with the chest so they can access what they just bought. At which point they can share it as well anyways.

Steam is not optimal, it's just a less harmful degree to which they can waste their efforts. Every steam game is out there on piratebay along with the toughest and the lightest DRM games. DRM doesn't work.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
iseko said:
DRM doesn't work. Not a game out there that can't be pirated. A lot of the time the pirated games are easier to install then the legal ones. So....... How does DRM actually work in bringing in more money?
I love how your avatar fits with your comment.

OT: First fucking over Final Fantasy and now this, looks liek that there's a third company i'm going to boycot.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
iseko said:
You sure about that? CD Projekt RED is known for it's "consumer friendly" stance on DRM, refusing to use it on games like The Witcher 2, which went on to be the most heavily-pirated game the year it came out.

While this doesn't solidly disprove your point, it could suggest that DRM does indeed slow down piracy.

...or it just proves that people who claim they only pirate software because of DRM are lying d-bags.