Spider-Man and X-Men Studios Team Up Against Marvel?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Spider-Man and X-Men Studios Team Up Against Marvel?

Fox's mutants will appear in a teaser at the end of Sony's spider-sequel.

In a surprise move, a short scene from the upcoming blockbuster feature X-Men: Days of Future Past will play during the credits of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. The scene will reportedly be part of an action sequence featuring X-Men characters Mystique, Havok, Toad and William Stryker; and is regarded as strictly an advertisement for X-Men, not as the beginning of a "crossover" between the two series.

What makes the arrangement unusual is that movie studios seldom collaborate on promoting eachother's films, particularly when they are expected to compete with one another at the box office (X-Men: DOFP will release only one month after ASM2.) The move is likely to be seen as rival studios working together toward the common goal of undercutting Disney's Marvel Studios; which has used shared-universe continuity between it's superhero films for an unprecedented string of box-office hits. Spider-Man and The X-Men are both Marvel properties, but currently reside with other studios because of rights deals made before the veteran comics publisher established its own studio.

It appears unlikely that this marketing collaboration would lead to an actual "team-up" between the two blockbuster series; but it's an open secret that every studio in Hollywood is looking for ways to steal (or muffle) Marvel's thunder: The shared-universe conceit allows the studio to brand even risky ventures like August's Guardians of The Galaxy as psuedo-sequels to one of the biggest action franchises on the planet, which threatens the box office prospects of many other studios and would only increase in dominance were they to reacquire major players like Spider-Man or Wolverine. So it's not too hard to imagine Sony and Fox (which has a famously toxic relationship with Marvel leadership) calling truce to hold-fast against the bigger "enemy."

Source: Empire [http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40776]

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
ugh, i hope nothing comes of it. i detest the new spiderman movies, and some of the x-men films were really good. i'd rather not have the new spiderman entering the x-men franchise in any way

Oct 20, 2010

EDIT/ Jesus fucking hookers in a brothel, I am following the instructions and this pic wont show up. Six tries now and nothing! Even after copy-pasting. I have also noted that everybody's "Spoilers: click to view", NEVER WORKS

http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=8076 link to the Double Facepalm.

If NEITHER studio is capable of handling either franchise separately, WTF makes them think a collaboration will work? The only hope I have is for a scene of Hugh Jackman Punching Andrew Garfield square in the face meat.

Oct 20, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
SilverStuddedSquirre said:

EDIT/ Jesus fucking hookers in a brothel, I am following the instructions and this pic wont show up. Six tries now and nothing! Even after copy-pasting. I have also noted that everybody's "Spoilers: click to view", NEVER WORKS

If NEITHER studio is capable of handling either franchise separately, WTF makes them think a collaboration will work? The only hope I have is for a scene of Hugh Jackman Punching Andrew Garfield square in the face meat.

I think this image actually roundly sums up your dismal failure to use the simple forum tools :p

I know! The delicious part is, THAT is the image I failed to post XD Is there one with a third crewman?

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009

Linked images must end in a file extension (.jpg, .gif etc.) for the image to show using that method.

In this case, right click on the image in question and click "copy image location". Then paste this into the image box.

e.g

Right clicking on your image and choosing "copy image location" yields this address:
http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Place this between (img)(/img), with square brackets instead of round brackets, and you should get this:

EDIT:

Neither company seems to be able to handle their properties well. Perhaps not releasing trashy film after trashy film might make it easier to compete with Marvels success record. Neither will match Disneys budget, but they can at least not shit out a title just to hold onto copyrights.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
The thing is that even teamed up they'll probably lose. Disney is in a much better financial position than Fox or Universal, if Disney decided to change the release dates of all the Marvel movies to match the competition's dates Disney is better diversified and could afford to make less money on the Marvel movies in the short term if it meant that they could make the rival studios' use of Marvel properties unprofitable and thus get the rights back eventually.

I just wish Disney would do what they did with Lucas though, just walk into the Fox and Universal lots and say "give us a number."

Oct 20, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:

Linked images must end in a file extension (.jpg, .gif etc.) for the image to show using that method.

In this case, right click on the image in question and click "copy image location". Then paste this into the image box.

e.g

Right clicking on your image and choosing "copy image location" yields this address:
http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Place this between (img)(/img), with square brackets instead of round brackets, and you should get this:
Thanks. I'm far better with physical tools than web tools. Trying to get Internet things to work properly looks like this when I do it:

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
I really don't understand why Sony and Fox don't combine their marvel universes. Not only would a Spidey/F4/X-men crossover be huge and probably make Avengers cash, it would also raise awareness for all 3 franchises. Look at what Avengers did for Cap and Thor. Even just a one time crossover film would be a massive win for both studios.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:

I think this image actually roundly sums up your dismal failure to use the simple forum tools :p

I know! The delicious part is, THAT is the image I failed to post XD Is there one with a third crewman?
As a matter of fact....

:p

OT: I'd love to see at least the X-Men somehow find it's way back into Marvel's hands. Then we could get Wolverine in The Avengers. :3

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Fusioncode9 said:
I really don't understand why Sony and Fox don't combine their marvel universes. Not only would a Spidey/F4/X-men crossover be huge and probably make Avengers cash, it would also raise awareness for all 3 franchises. Look at what Avengers did for Cap and Thor. Even just a one time crossover film would be a massive win for both studios.
The problem is that would require Fox and Sony to work together and give up the "want all the money" attitude that movies seem to be focusing on now (Just like Jim Sterling was saying about video games too), for they would have to try and figure out a way to split the costs and profits.

I really have no opinion on Fox and Sony really trying to help each other out, for I don't think it will really help them against Marvel for Marvel seems to know what they are doing. Both Fox and Sony don't seem to understand how to make a movie based on a comic to generate large appeal.

Captchas: Rocket Science - its not really that hard.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Yay free market capitalism. Where Big business interests trump those of the consumer for the greater bad.

Its a real shame we will never see a joined up marvel universe with different companies desperately hanging on to their own pieces.

Oct 20, 2010
Fusioncode9 said:
Looks good on Paper. Just a few problems though:

First : everything associated in ANY way with the Current Spider-Man.
Second : you can bet that the new fantastic four will be a giant steaming pile of garbage. Evidence? The first 2.
Third : brilliant casting aside, everything associated with Fox's X-Men franchise is also a steaming pile of Shyte. Not to mention Cyclops is Dead, Jean Grey is Dead, and Wolverine got his claws Neutered. (First class was a great movie, but they've already boned the franchise SO FAR past the point of redemption, that the only way stories work is in the past, or alternate realities - which I thought we were avoiding in the Movie Marvel Verse.)

You forget that Cap and Thor also got respectable stand alone movies, each doing the character individual justice and showing them be Awesome on their own merits, not just cool when you put them next to Hulk or Iron Man.
Removing The Avengers takes away some great moments for each character yes, but they could all still be stand alone movies and be good. None of these heroes have a BAD movie yet. Let's tally up Fox and Sony:

Spider-Man: 2 out of 4 movies are good, looking to go 3/5 ; odds strongly against.
Fantastic-Four: 2 out of 2 movies are shit. Looking for a single good outing here, odds strongly against.
X-Men: 2 out of 5 movies good, looking to go 3/6 ; odds pretty good

All of these franchises struggle to make a 50% record of decent films. So far F-Four has a 100% fail rate.
You can say "two heads are better than one," but when those two heads are Lloyd and Harry from Dumb and Dumber, it won't help you.

Oct 20, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:

As a matter of fact....

:p

OT: I'd love to see at least the X-Men somehow find it's way back into Marvel's hands. Then we could get Wolverine in The Avengers. :3

NOOOOOO! Warf is sad at me too?

EDIT/ I feel like I should get a meme pic:

Attempts to mock failure with Facepalm Earns BIGGER facepalm.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
thetoddo said:
I just wish Disney would do what they did with Lucas though, just walk into the Fox and Universal lots and say "give us a number."
That's the thing, Sony needs Spider-Man right now. They aren't doing too well in most of their departments, so any right they hold that will guarantee profit, they will hold on to it. I am one of the few that didn't loathe the new Spider-Man movie, but I'd be much happier if it were given the chance to join Marvel's joint universe.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Facepalming

I win.

OT: I'm not even sure Sam Raimi's Spidey is good for this. Does...anyone ever stop the flow of bad ideas in Hollywood? Ever?

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I doubt that the contracts that Sony and Fox have with Marvel would allow either company to produce a film with characters they individually lack the rights to. Would the contracts have included terms for jointly produced films?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Can't we all just get along? If done right, the sheer awesomeness of a X-Men/Spider-Man movie would revival The Avengers. I remember how hard I hit the roof when the X-Men (with their original voice actors and designs) showed up the the Spider-Man cartoon show from the nineties. That was incredible. Something like that can be done again, if people would just put their pride aside.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Fox and Sony are just retarded. Both their movies are in May, so how will advertising each others movies going to do anything against Marvels movie that is released 3 months later in August? lol. People wont even be thinking of Xmen or Spiderman by then.