Report: Robin Williams Will Return For Mrs. Doubtfire 2

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Report: Robin Williams Will Return For Mrs. Doubtfire 2

The comedy legend is reportedly ready to return to one of his most famous roles

According to The Hollywood Reporter, [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mrs-doubtfire-sequel-works-696958] legendary comedian Robin Williams will revive one of his most iconic movie characters in a sequel to the 1993 comedy Mrs. Doubtfire. Original helmer Chris Columbus is also being sought to direct from a new screenplay by Elf writer David Berenbaum.

The original film was one of the biggest comedy hits of the early 90s. Williams played a divorced father banned from seeing his three children by his ex-wife (Sally Field) for his irresponsible and immature antics (summary of charges: Acting like Robin Williams.) In order to see them, he dons a costume and prosthetic makeup to pose as the children's new nanny, an elderly Scottish woman named Euphegenia Doubtfire. Child star Mara Wilson, comedian Harvey Fierstein and then-future James Bond Pierce Brosnan also starred.

At this time, there is no word on what the story of the sequel would be.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mrs-doubtfire-sequel-works-696958]

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
What?
Why?
Mrs Doubtfire is a good film, light-hearted family stuff, but the film resolves it's self at the end.... it doesn't need a sequel!

Goddamn it Hollywood! Would an original idea kill you?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Bob has made his opinions on the original movie much clearer on Twitter.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
On a related and predictable note:

There are many, many reasons I don't want to be in Mrs. Doubtfire 2. But they haven't even asked me (yet), so no need to worry.

— Mara Wilson (@MaraWritesStuff) April 17, 2014 [https://twitter.com/MaraWritesStuff/statuses/456673599483420672]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ldude893 said:
On a related and predictable note:

There are many, many reasons I don't want to be in Mrs. Doubtfire 2. But they haven't even asked me (yet), so no need to worry.

? Mara Wilson (@MaraWritesStuff) April 17, 2014 [https://twitter.com/MaraWritesStuff/statuses/456673599483420672]
I was about to say..Mara wilson should do a cameo or something...she's really cool

so yeah..how will this work? does he need to dress up as mrs doubtfire teach a bunch inner city kids and help them learn to believe in themselves? maybe they should start a ch- wait that sounds familiar

Aug 1, 2010
Um...... Cool? I guess? Or not?

Mrs. Doubtfire is one of the my favorite comedies from my childhood, but this is incredibly odd. The story was over. There's no room for another film.

This is like that Cats and Dogs sequel. Completely out of left field.

Splunge

Cautiously Optimistic
May 4, 2009
Well, you see, what happened was a bunch of the makeup effects guys from the first movie got together for some drinks and reminiscing, and they suddenly realised they'd only have to add a quarter as many wrinkles with prothetics if they did the movie again with a 20-year older Robin.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I guess it's better then trying to pay rent on a McDonalds salary, but I wouldn't exactly put this sequel anywhere near my most anticipated movies.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
On the one hand, this news confuses me, and on the other, it ticks me off. Of ALL the movies out there, why make a sequal for this one?! I know that making a successful movie out of an original IP would be considered a miracle these days and originality is at an all time low, but Mrs Doubtfire?! don't get me wrong. I LOVED this movie as a kid and it's still a movie that I have fond memories of, but nothing about it gives the impression that a sequal is necessary. Just... whhhhhyyyyyyyyy?!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Really? It's a little late for that, don't you think? The actors have aged. Pierce Brosnan looks older than Roger Moore's James Bond, now. The kids have grown up. Robin Williams is even hairier. Let a good 90s be left alone. The only glaring thing that makes it show it's age is the music. (Though now I can't get that Aerosmith song out of my head.)

Robin Williams hasn't been in a decent movie in probably ten years.(Well, there was that robot movie. It was okay.) Let's not try to change that with a cheap nostalgia attempt. Give him something good that doesn't rely on a gimmick.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
???

Why?

I can't decide if I really want to see this trainwreck, or if it would just be sad.
I remember thinking as a kid the movie was ok and better than most of the 'a guy in a dress'-based comedy, but I don't have enough childhood nostalgia about it to really be upset if they make a sequel.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
as much i like the first one, this sounds like it will have no space what so ever. i cant even imagine how this should continue.
either someone was really thinking hard about it for over 20 years or it was some last minute choice to make it with a crappy story no one will like.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I just can't understand why this is going to happen. The story was resolved, it ended, it had a good ending to it! There's no room for a sequel. This was one of my favourite comedies growing up. I can't imagine a sequel ever living up to it. Besides, everything is going to be so much more high tech now, everyone has aged, I can't imagine what kind of story they can pull out of a hat for this.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I like how people used to joke(and still do) about franchises being run into the ground over time, and now its actually happening.

I'll try to guess the synopsis of the film:

[small]*ehem*[/small]

"Join Robin Williams in the sequel to one the funniest and heartwarming family films ever made!This time, Mrs. Doubtfire will need another pair of hands to deal with the madcap hijinks and mayhem, as she returns to save her family once again!"

Oh, and the cast will probably feature Chris Pine and some sort of new kid actor to provide that "loveable charm" and be a source of "mischief", because why not.

Hollywood: "If it is a license, then its milking time!"

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I don't really see how they can make a sequel out of it again since last time I remember, Mrs Doubfire got her/ his own TV show and his marriage was somewhat restored I think?

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I always thought Mr. Williams was someone who took his work quite seriously (at least according to anecdotal evidence from various people he worked with) and would generally refuse to do anything he deigned to be beneath him. Weird that he would accept a sequel to this - they must have won him over with something. Maybe it is not as much of a cheap cash-grab as it seems?

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Monsterfurby said:
I always thought Mr. Williams was someone who took his work quite seriously (at least according to anecdotal evidence from various people he worked with) and would generally refuse to do anything he deigned to be beneath him. Weird that he would accept a sequel to this - they must have won him over with something. Maybe it is not as much of a cheap cash-grab as it seems?
That is kind of what I am thinking. What is really sad though is what if this is the only way he can make another comedy film. Like Hollywood feels that Robin Williams is not enough to sell a movie anymore. I got to see his early movies recently and it surprises me how funny he can be. Same thing with Eddy Murphy except he just stopped doing movies as far as I can tell. Oh god please don't make another Nutty Professor movie too movie industry, we really don't need it.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
I ... but ... why?! Granted it's been a long time since I've seen this movie but I could have sworn that in the end Robin and Sally reconcile. What would the sequel be? Robin Williams dressing up for his grandkids?

I'm pretty sure at this point any of us could wander out to Hollywood, pitch a random idea to a studio exec and get an associate producer credit.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
putowtin said:
Goddamn it Hollywood! Would an original idea kill you?
Hollywood:*in pouty voice* "But it's harrrrrrrrd! So instead we'll just remake Police Academy."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9005520/Police-Academy-remake-confirmed.html