Call of Duty: Ghosts Unveils R. Lee Ermey Voice Pack Video

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Call of Duty: Ghosts Unveils R. Lee Ermey Voice Pack Video

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman wants to know why you are not stomping the guts out of the Federation of the Americas.

Did you believe us yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133765-Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-Recruits-Snoop-Dogg-for-Voice-Pack-DLC] when we mentioned that R. Lee Ermey was lending his voice to Call of Duty: Ghosts in the upcoming Drill Instructor Voice Pack? Now we have proof: A trailer of the man himself in the studio, doing what he does best.

Ermey, who by all appearances is a very nice guy in real life, has appeared in numerous films and television shows over the years, but he will always be best known as the sadistic drill instructor from Full Metal Jacket, one of the most creatively obscene characters ever put to film. It's a talent he came by honestly: Prior to launching his acting career, Ermey served as a U.S. Marine for more than ten years, including two years as a drill instructor.

It's kind of sad that Ermey is so non-sweary in the trailer, especially since Call of Duty: Ghosts carries a seriously blood-soaked "M" rating. On the other hand, it is absolutely precious to hear him say "what the heck" - a far cry from the language he used when he wanted to if your parents had any children who lived.

The Call of Duty: Ghosts Voice Packs and a slew of other personalization DLC packs [http://community.callofduty.com/community/call_of_duty/english/ghosts/blog/2014/04/15/call-of-duty-ghosts-customization-items-coming-april-22nd--personalization-packs-the-soap-legend-pack-and-all-new-voice-packs] launch on April 22.

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
To be fair this is a hundred no wait probably a thousand times better than that terrible soul destroying snoop dog voice pack.. Ugh I feel like vomiting just thinking about it. Lee Ermey did a good job in this one.

On the other hand, its COD and I really couldn't care about that franchise anymore. Skin packs, map packs, voice packs , etc.

Do you actually even get a game anymore for the $60 you pay? I remember when games would be patched and the developer would add this kind of stuff in as a sort of thank you for playing our game and putting up with the bugs till now.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Sadly, this will probably not be enough to get me back to playing [em]Ghosts[/em]. But I will still download this voice pack, out of respect.

Semper Fi, Gunny!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I hate his voice. Yelling at people isn't my idea of fun. Regardless of how iconic said yelling is among the people. God damn, I really fuckin' hate his voice.

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
I don't play COD anymore. If I did though, I'd download the fuck out of this! I'd love to hear his voice add a bit of flavor to the otherwise pretty bland voice-overs

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
YOU PLAY VIDEO GAMES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FUCK

and other lines I wish I could have used in the news post

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Way to miss the point of Full Metal Jacket, Call Of Duty. :p

Although I'll 'fess up, I'm no better. I too laugh myself silly at the incredibly memorable put-downs in the first half of the movie along with everybody else.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Andy Chalk said:

You made me listen through it again to make sure I didn't miss that! And then I realized it wasn't there. Now I'm sad, how dare you fool me like this!

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
ThatDarnCoyote said:
Sadly, this will probably not be enough to get me back to playing [em]Ghosts[/em]. But I will still download this voice pack, out of respect.

Semper Fi, Gunny!
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/full-metal-jacket-star-r-lee-ermey-criticised-posing-bodies-hunted-lions-1431442
I've got no respect for anyone who could proudly do this. He pisses me off tbh.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
JaceArveduin said:
Andy Chalk said:

You made me listen through it again to make sure I didn't miss that! And then I realized it wasn't there. Now I'm sad, how dare you fool me like this!
Sorry. For what it's worth, I was immensely disappointed that it wasn't in there, too. Or "YOU HAD BEST SQUARE YOUR ASS AWAY AND STARTING SHITTING ME UNLOCKABLES OR I WILL DEFINITELY FUCK YOU UP!" Such a wasted opportunity.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
"A day without blood is like a day without sunshine." Immediately reminds me of an accusation the Ultimate Warrior made about Hulk Hogan on youtube a few years ago. "Warrior: What was it used to say all the time backstage? 'A day without marijuana is like a day without sunshine brother.' That was one of your catch phrases Terry[footnote]Hulk Hogan's real name is Terry Gene Bollea[/footnote]." (paraphrased from memory) if Warrior is to be believed, Hogan kept more than just vitamins in that little fanny pack he wore for a time.

As for this itself well... it makes sense. Though as you mention it's kind of bizarre you're not allowed to cuss in such a violent game.

But this fits Ermey's MO. I remember about about a decade ago he hosted a show on the History channel that coincided with my giving up on said channel and cable in general. It started out alright, a neat little program about different aspects of military history and weapons. But it quickly devolved into WW2 fanwank and then cheerleading for the modern military, completely ignoring the "history" aspect. So he's a logical choice for CoD fanservice.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
As much as I hate CoD and I really do. I have to admit that this is a good sign or at least an interesting mutation. This is a sign that they are at least having fun on some on some level and if you are going to make a macho militaristic shooter why not pull from movies if you can? For once infinity ward you have impressed me. This will not often come your way from me. Well done.

Mar 30, 2010
Downloaded this for a laugh the other day, and it doesn't work. Not in split-screen, not in private lobbies, and not in random matchmaking. Very pissed off as Activision "support" has been singularly unhelpful.