Fox Network Cancels ADHD Programming Block

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Fox Network Cancels ADHD Programming Block

The late-night animation series will move to all-digital in June

The Fox Network has announced that it will remove the cartoon-shorts showcase ADHD (short for "Animation Domination High-Def") from it's 11pm Saturday timeslot effective June 28. Though launched to much fanfare a year ago, ADHD struggled to draw broadcast audiences even as individual shorts like Scientifically Accurate [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ygjD04vyU] became viral hits. The series will be moved exclusively to digital/streaming platforms, where it will be used as an "incubator" for potential full-length series.

ADHD was Fox's attempt to capture some of the emergent market for late-night animated programming aimed at older teens and college-aged viewers; a market still largely dominated by its progenitor, Cartoon Network's overnight Adult Swim block. Later this year, Fox's cable sibling FXX plans make its own entry into this arena with four-hour blocks of The Simpsons set to air on Sunday nights.

The move marks the latest major incoming shift to Fox's powerful TV animation lineup, the other being Seth MacFarlane's American Dad moving to TBS at the end of it's current season. That series is scheduled to be replaced by another MacFarlane-produced animated show, Bordertown, [http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/fox-picks-up-seth-macfarlane-produced-series-bordertown-90845.html] which focuses on the relationship between the family of a U.S. border agent and a family of Mexican-American immigrants who are neighbors in a fictional southwestern U.S. town.

Source: Deadline Hollywood [http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/fox-greenlights-animated-comedy-series-from-seth-macfarlane-for-next-season/]

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Adult Swim is not something to emulate.

And, if you are going to try and capture the "lightning in a bottle" that is Squidbillies, Boondocks, Assy Mcgee, and Xavier or whatever horseshit from 7 years ago they are continually re-airing alongside such bleeding edge anime favorites like Cowboy Bebop...try not to put out shows even worse?

Both Fox and Adult Swim would be a barren wasteland if not for Seth Mcfarlane, The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, and Robot Chicken. Sure there are the occasional good shows that end up on both networks, like Stroker and Hoop or the aforementioned Bob's Burgers.

But both networks have longer lists of failed shows than other networks have in their entire catalogue of offerings.

Also, naming your programming block ADHD is just idiotic. Why not the Really Awesome Pictographic Entertainment block? Was SIDS taken? Or something equally sure to piss off people?

I guess I was just not meant to appreciate the glorious comedies that were Axe Cop and High School USA, or whatever other placeholder-name-that-became-the-real-one they were airing.

Saturday's have long been devoid of anything worth watching. Probably because its is assumed, largely correctly, that people have better things to do than tune in to watch TV on a Saturday or Sunday (before primetime anyways).

I'm sad American Dad is moving to a network I do not receive, and greatly skeptical of Bordertown. It might be great like AD, or total garbage like Family Guy has been for roughly 75% of its episodes.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
MovieBob said:
which focuses on the relationship between the family of a U.S. border agent and a family of Mexican-American immigrants who are neighbors in a fictional southwestern U.S. town.
And here comes the right wing anti-immigration propaganda in a cartoon.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
KoudelkaMorgan said:

And, if you are going to try and capture the "lightning in a bottle" that is Squidbillies, Boondocks, Assy Mcgee, and Xavier or whatever horseshit from 7 years ago they are continually re-airing alongside such bleeding edge anime favorites like Cowboy Bebop...try not to put out shows even worse?

Both Fox and Adult Swim would be a barren wasteland if not for Seth Mcfarlane, The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, and Robot Chicken. Sure there are the occasional good shows that end up on both networks, like Stroker and Hoop or the aforementioned Bob's Burgers.

But both networks have longer lists of failed shows than other networks have in their entire catalogue of offerings.

Also, naming your programming block ADHD is just idiotic. Why not the Really Awesome Pictographic Entertainment block? Was SIDS taken? Or something equally sure to piss off people?

I guess I was just not meant to appreciate the glorious comedies that were Axe Cop and High School USA, or whatever other placeholder-name-that-became-the-real-one they were airing.

Saturday's have long been devoid of anything worth watching. Probably because its is assumed, largely correctly, that people have better things to do than tune in to watch TV on a Saturday or Sunday (before primetime anyways).

I'm sad American Dad is moving to a network I do not receive, and greatly skeptical of Bordertown. It might be great like AD, or total garbage like Family Guy has been for roughly 75% of its episodes.
I'm not sure I've met anybody who thought any of those shows were good except the boondocks because that shit is awesome. I think it's pretty much accepted that most adult swim original shows suck with the exception of boondocks, robot chicken, venture bros, and metalocalyse. You are right about if it wasn't for all the syndicated shows adult swim had/has it wouldn't be around.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Holy hell, am I tired of Seth McFarlane making really terrible, obvious self-insert rant bait...
Edit to add: And I'm surprised they got away with calling it the ADHD block, with the incoming tide of Social Justice W... wankers? I can never remember what the 'W' stands for in SJW...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well, that video was terrible. If that's the sort of quality to expect from this animation block, I'll stay away.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
KoudelkaMorgan said:

What about The Venture Bros. and Superjail?

JET1971 said:
MovieBob said:
which focuses on the relationship between the family of a U.S. border agent and a family of Mexican-American immigrants who are neighbors in a fictional southwestern U.S. town.
I don't think that's the angle Seth Macfarlane wants to take with the series at all. Fox News is a completely different channel to its similarly-named associates.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
JET1971 said:
MovieBob said:
Considering the fact that Macfarlane is an unapologetic liberal, I'm pretty sure you can look forward to it mocking the anti-immigration right.

Soviet Heavy said:
Well, that video was terrible. If that's the sort of quality to expect from this animation block, I'll stay away.
My thoughts exactly. I didn't even crack a smile during that video, it was basically just "ANIME NAMES! WE KNOW ANIME NAMES! LAUGH AS WE PUT THEM ALL INTO ONE CHARACTER!......please laugh, they'll shoot our cat if you don't...."

Seriously, I don't know if that was just a random selection or if that's supposed to be an example of their "A material", but if it's the latter then it's no wonder this ADHD block fell right on its face because that...that was just awful.

Edit: Having followed the link to "Remember When" in the article, then clicking on a couple videos from there, I can now confirm that yes: all their material is as bad as this.End Edit.

KoudelkaMorgan said:
I have absolutely no desire to get into an argument over this, so I'll simply say that there's plenty of people who would disagree with the sentiments you're expressing.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
It might have something to do with the fact that the advertising for this ADHD stuff was completely (perhaps appropriately?) confusing. Up until now I assumed it was an online streaming thing and not an actual show.

Even Adult Swim has to pause for a few minutes and make sense long enough for it's bumps to explain whats going on.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
KoudelkaMorgan said:

What about The Venture Bros. and Superjail?
Or Rick and Morty?

OT: It's a shame, I really enjoyed Ax Cop, although I didn't bother watching any of their other Shows. Still, as long as I can watch Ax Cop online, all is good I guess.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
JET1971 said:
MovieBob said:
Nah, its produced by Seth McFarland, hes pretty liberal in his views, it's more likely to take underhanded swipes at the right like 'American Dad' does then promote any of their bs.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
MovieBob said:
from it's 11pm Saturday timeslot ..... struggled to draw broadcast audiences...

I could already tell you why and the answer is there in the article. That time-slot clashes with the Toonami Saturday run on Cartoon Network. It essentially is fighting for the same audience of adults who like more adult themed cartoons. Sure the AS Toonami has more anime going for it than ADHD does, but it's still around the same audience. Honestly a very dumb move for FOX to plug that time-slot instead of something more mid-week when reruns are going on for AS.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
JET1971 said:
MovieBob said:
You do know that Seth McFarlane is like super liberal, right? I don't think you need to worry.

OT: ADHD is a terrible name. I can't believe they though that was a good idea. I'm looking forward to the DOWNS or AUTISM programming blocks.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
So someone tried to rip-off something that worked on Adult Swim without realizing that there's more behind what they're emulating than being needless cash-grabs? Whether you like a lot of Adult Swim programming or not, you had to admit that there's a group of people actually given free reign to air their crazy ideas, and some of them work really well.

The only things that other networks have done well with the Adult Swim-like templates are Archer and Ugly Americans, and these weren't made just to appeal to the audience. Those shows have a lot of soul in them.

Oh, and the current contender for "Stupid AS ripoff of the year" is Comedy Central's "Triptank". If you want to see something that's only entertaining for how unfunny it is, there you go.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
It was doomed to fail. Every time a TV network tries to emulate internet success it always falls flat on its face. Now we get ANOTHER Seth McFarlane show based entirely on a single political issue/joke. Bordertown will at most last 3 episodes without jumping the shark. You can only take one gag/concept so far.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
KoudelkaMorgan said:
Shitty, budget programming seems like exactly the thing to emulate in this climate.

JET1971 said:
I'm surprised it took them this long. Then again, given it's under the Fox umbrella, I'm surprised they don't have a cartoon instructing kids to shoot teachers who believe in evolution, global warming, and a heliocentric solar system.

CelestDaer said:
Holy hell, am I tired of Seth McFarlane making really terrible, obvious self-insert rant bait...
I'm always amazed not only that he has a career, but how prolific it's been.

Edit to add: And I'm surprised they got away with calling it the ADHD block, with the incoming tide of Social Justice W... wankers? I can never remember what the 'W' stands for in SJW...
Maybe because the number of people bitching about so-called "Social justice wankers" outnumber the actual wankers like 5000 to 1.

I mean, it's like the anti-social justice wankers created some strange amalgam of a strawman and a dead horse and continued to pound it until the molecular structure itself dissolved, ironically, blowing the "issue" out of proportion with no sense of irony given the subject of their ire.

But that couldn't be.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Between American Dad and Conan, TBS is turning into "the network that airs shows that were too good for the major networks". I approve of this becoming a trend.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Someone wanna remind me how FOX stays afloat again? Because, like with Walmart incompetence, I just don't see how it can be done.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
American Dad is moving to TBS?! This sucks!! Fuck TBS and it's horribly run fucked bullshit, I was so glad when the station left Canadian TV (the part of Canada I'm from at least)