Lord of Waterdeep

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Season four will forever be known as the best, because of episode 2. Even if season 5 has zombie Ned stark leading lightsaber wielding, velociraptor riding supermodels against the combined forces of the White Walkers and Hitler clone army, season 4 will always be the best.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Renegade-pizza said:
Even if season 5 has zombie Ned stark leading lightsaber wielding, velociraptor riding supermodels against the combined forces of the White Walkers and Hitler clone army
Seriously man, spoiler tag that shit. You just ruined the show for me.

OP: I've never heard of LoD before, but this is a great introduction to it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I've never even heard of this game before, but I'll have to be careful if I ever get the chance to play it.

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Mcoffey said:
deathbydeath said:
Renegade-pizza said:
Even if season 5 has zombie Ned stark leading lightsaber wielding, velociraptor riding supermodels against the combined forces of the White Walkers and Hitler clone army

I truly cannot see how the show was "ruined" for you. Yes, spoilers suck, but it's actually a pretty small one in the big scheme of Game of Thrones.

This game looks cool but none of my friends have the patience for a longer game. Which seems really shitty because one of the best tabletop experiences we've had was playing Civilization. It took six hours to set up and go over the rules but by the end everyone was laughing and at each others throats. It was the first, and only, game.
Lords of Waterdeep isn't a long game, tell your friends to man up and play a real game for once. If they're not sold after one go, then there is nothing saving them from the Monopoly/Game of Life/Snakes and Ladders hell they're in.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
I've had a slight interest in picking this up for a while now. May have to give Lords of Waterdeep a go at some point. Also, great comic as usual!

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
This comic is 100% accurate.

Source: Am senior tabletop games editor for http://www.escapistmagazine.com

And, yes, Lords of Waterdeep is excellent. Takes an hour or so to play. Brilliantly designed.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
The funny thing about Lords of Waterdeep is that it takes about four games to go from fantasy Monopoly to a live reenactment of season three of Game of Thrones.
Not really sure what the difference is. Monopoly almost always dissolves into bargaining and backstabbing and property-clinging. Do I just have the wrong friends?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Renegade-pizza said:
Season four will forever be known as the best, because of episode 2. Even if season 5 has zombie Ned stark leading lightsaber wielding, velociraptor riding supermodels against the combined forces of the White Walkers and Hitler clone army, season 4 will always be the best.
I don't know, you just described the perfect scene to me. I don't think anything could top that.

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
JonB said:
This comic is 100% accurate.

Source: Am senior tabletop games editor for http://www.escapistmagazine.com

And, yes, Lords of Waterdeep is excellent. Takes an hour or so to play. Brilliantly designed.
In my experience it would be more accurate if they were playing The Great Dalmuti but, hey, different play groups.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I need to get my brother and friends around to play some Waterdeep soon. We get murdery playing simple Monopoly and I can see this going well basing my assumptions only off that.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
It doesn't really count as turning into an episode of Game of Thrones unless it has a sex scene breaking out between at least two players.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
It doesn't really count as turning into an episode of Game of Thrones unless it has a sex scene breaking out between at least two players.
And one of them is a dwarf. or your sibling.

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
Mcoffey said:
deathbydeath said:
Renegade-pizza said:

I truly cannot see how the show was "ruined" for you. Yes, spoilers suck, but it's actually a pretty small one in the big scheme of Game of Thrones.
Dude, look at the part he quoted. Its patently ridiculous. Maaaybe he's being humorous? Besides, everyone knows about Ned.

Darth_Payn said:
That happened in games 5, 8 and 9.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
House Stout:

Symbol: Beer (unofficially, a fancy rat)
Words: "When in doubt, come out swinging"

I'll be honest, I've never actually heard of Lord of Waterdeep. If that name is referencing what I think it is, I may need to give it a look...

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Lords of Waterdeep is great. Whoever thought of combining the "dammit, I needed that space!" mechanic from Agricola with the "quietly sitting on extra victory points" mechanic from Settlers is some kind of diabolical genius who wants to see friendship erased from the dictionary.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Never played it before, now putting it to my local group to rectify this. Going by boardgamegeek.com it looks pretty decent.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Malbourne said:
The funny thing about Lords of Waterdeep is that it takes about four games to go from fantasy Monopoly to a live reenactment of season three of Game of Thrones.
Not really sure what the difference is. Monopoly almost always dissolves into bargaining and backstabbing and property-clinging. Do I just have the wrong friends?
I think you've more honest friends than I, our monopoly games begin with blatant cheating and secret deals being struck before the game even starts (don't let 2 people be alone together in the room or several $100 notes will end up in their pockets)

And the game just goes downhill from there.