The Simpsons LEGO Episode Puts Homer in a LEGO World

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
The Simpsons LEGO Episode Puts Homer in a LEGO World

Homer Simpson will have to find his way out of a LEGO universe.

The Simpsons' 550th episode, titled "Brick Like Me," will take place inside a LEGO universe. In development since 2012, the episode has been something Simpsons' executive producers Brian Kelley and Matt Selman have wanted to do for a long time.

Homer Simpson wakes up in a new world of different yellow characters and finds himself in a LEGO universe. In this universe, characters believe this world is where they belong. Through flashbacks, Homer realizes this universe isn't a part of his normal life, and he must choose between the two worlds.

While having some headnods to the successful LEGO Movie, the Simpsons episode has no desire to be like the movie. Even the animation is quite different. "We consciously said: We're not going to do rack focus stuff, where it's blurry in the background and clear in the front," Selman said. "Tricks like that worked so well in The LEGO Movie, but we felt they would not work as well for our universe." Kelley added that everything is in focus in the show. Even so, the episode will be aware of the movie.

"I think the episode is about: What is awesomeness?" Selman said. "Is a universe that is awesome all the time a universe you truly want to live in?"

LEGO helped pay for the "Brick Like Me" episode and worked with Kelley and Selman, though the pair said all the words in the episode are theirs. When LEGO did have concerns about something, such as a LEGO sex scene, Kelley said they were able to find a way around it.

The Simpsons' "Brick Like Me" airs May 4.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/16/simpsons-lego-episode-photo/]

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
Is this what Simpsons has become now? Just a load of references? I miss the old funny Simpsons :(

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Chareater said:
Is this what Simpsons has become now? Just a load of references? I miss the old funny Simpsons :(
Well that is the nod to the LEGO movie. The LEGO movie is a load of references.

Now if we could get a LEGO Simpsons game...

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Not looking forward to it to be frank, it just seems well, off... to say the least.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I see nothing wrong with this. Some people are just too critical about stuff.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The only real thing that the Lego Movie had that made it so unique - among other things, particularly story and characters, but those aren't so important, but still strong qualities of the film - is the fact that it was made entirely with real lego.

So, this is basically taking that gimmick, and making it The Simpsons.. and it makes me sad. Does it want to take on its own more dramedy sitcom elements, or does it was to just be South Park but everyone is yellow and not animated in an insanely complex program used to make circles move? It's really depressing.

What makes that tiny bit sadder is that it needs to reach out to Lego fans. What's the average demographic for Lego? Like, 5s to 12s?

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Someone Depressing said:
The only real thing that the Lego Movie had that made it so unique - among other things, particularly story and characters, but those aren't so important, but still strong qualities of the film - is the fact that it was made entirely with real lego.
Well actually it was not made out of real lego. There were parts of it like sections of the set which apparently were lego but most of it was cgi. They did a lot of work to make it look like Lego but it was in fact done on computers. Regardless I agree it is a little sad to see this as the focus of an episode. As a couch gag or some of the episode it would work but as the entirety just sounds like a giant pop culture reference episode.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
BanicRhys said:
Remember when the Simpsons satirised popular culture instead of worshiping it?
That's what I remember South Park used to be too. And I love that they both made jokes on the probability of this happening to them.

Homer: Mr. Cosby wanted to take the show down before the quality suffered
Bart: Quality schmality! If I had a TV show, I?d run that sucker into the ground
Homer: Amen, boy

And now something else:

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Well. I'm kind of looking forward to it.. I mean I don't go out my way to watch the Simpsons, but Ill make the effort to check this episode out purely because its a bit quirky.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Nazulu said:
BanicRhys said:
Remember when the Simpsons satirised popular culture instead of worshiping it?
That's what I remember South Park used to be too. And I love that they both made jokes on the probability of this happening to them.
When did South Park stop doing that?

People must remember, that often the best satire comes not from a place of hatred, but from the fans themselves.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
CriticKitten said:
I never once imagined that I would live to see the day where a Simpsons episode would be trying to improve the show's overall popularity by appealing to the audience of a movie focused around my favorite childhood toy.

Truth's stranger than fiction sometimes.
As Mark Twain once said, "It's no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense."

Personally, I can't wait to see this episode. Sounds like an awesome idea.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
FoolKiller said:
Now if we could get a LEGO Simpsons game...
I was thinking the same thing actually, even though The Simpsons have been lacking in recent series, I would love to see a Lego game of it, and I have always found the Lego games humourous. I think it would be a good match, them collaborating to make a game.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
I'm not quite sure if Simpsons is merely trying to adapt and try out new material, or if it's struggling to stay afloat and alive when it's woefully outplayed and should be put down (with a revolver).

I mean, material like this has the potential to be hilarious, but the Simpsons hate is pretty damn real.

Dr. Octogonopus

Aug 31, 2010
The fact that The Simpsons' mini-figs dont have the standard Lego stud on the tops of the heads makes me uncomfortable.