Ex-Prey 2 Studio Takes Over TimeGate's Minimum

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ex-Prey 2 Studio Takes Over TimeGate's Minimum

Minimum, the blocky multiplayer shooter that was formerly being developed by Timegate Studios, is now in the care of Human Head.

Human Head Studios spent a lot of time working on Prey 2 but it just couldn't quite get the job done, and sometime in 2012 - I don't think the date has ever been nailed down - Bethesda bankruptcy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124543-Prey-2-Was-A-Full-Game-When-Bethesda-Cancelled-it] of the company.

Prior to that, TimeGate had been working on a cool-looking shooter called Minimum, a reference to the minimalist design of the game's characters and environments, which were constructed entirely out of blocks, giving it a vaguely Lego-like look. The end of TimeGate seemed to mean the end of Minimum as well, but it's actually still alive and kicking at the hands of another studio - Human Head.

Human Head announced the revival of Minimum yesterday with a trailer that actually looks pretty fantastic. The game will pit teams of five against one another, each backed by a massive, autonomous Titan robot - and yes, I can foresee some trademark issues ahead on that one. Players can collect and use resources to craft customized weapons and armor using the blueprint-based crafting system, and along with battling other humans they'll also have to deal with "creeps" that spawn during Titan Mode, and that drop resources that can be used to power and enhance friendly Titans.

It's kind of a strange and surprising turnaround, but a nice outcome for all involved, too. Except for TimeGate, I suppose, but Minimum has a new lease on life and Human Head is back in the saddle, and two out of three ain't bad, as they say. Most of the details remain unannounced but it's expected to hit Steam Early Access "very soon," and in the meantime you can find out more about Minimum and register for "early beta access" at playminimum.com [http://playminimum.com/].

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
May as well call it 'Titancraft' and be done with it. Who knows, maybe there's a decent game under all the elements "borrowed" from other popular current games but all I can see this in this trailer is a series of lawsuits waiting to happen.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Since when is everything with the word titan an infringement on titanfall?

Last I checked, there were at least a few dozen games with "titan" as either something in the game, or in the name outright, BEFORE titanfall.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Are we to take "pulled the plug" to mean Prey 2 is entirely kaput, or merely HH's participation in same? Last I heard (including the linked article) was that it had been turned over to Arkane; is that still the case, or is it now vaporware?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I think they would be served well to put some actual textures on - maybe give it all a bit of Gen1 TF aesthetics?