Tropico 5 Pre-Orders Open With Pre-Purchase Rewards Tiers

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Tropico 5 Pre-Orders Open With Pre-Purchase Rewards Tiers

The more people that pre-purchase Tropico 5, the more rewards everyone will get.

Similar to how the BioShock Infinite pre-orders [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122770-BioShock-Infinite-Steam-Pre-Orders-Now-Include-a-Copy-Of-XCOM] worked last year, Tropico 5 is now available to pre-order on Steam, with several tiers of "pre-purchase" perks that are unlocked as more people buy the game. To celebrate the game's availability, Kalypso has also released a new "The Eras" trailer, which you can check out to the right.

The base game will set you back $39.99, with discounts available for purchasing a 2-pack or a 4-pack, and everyone can enjoy a further 10% discount for pre-ordering. As for the three aditional "rewards tiers" - the first one, a free copy of Tropico 4, has already been unlocked. The second tier will grant all pre-order customers the first Tropico 5 DLC pack for free, and the third tier will give you a free copy of Omerta - City of Gangsters.

There's also a special edition available for $42.99, which includes the "Guide through Tropico Island" ebook and the mini-DLC "Isla de Vapor" including one costume and one map exclusive to Steam.

Furthermore, if you signed up for the game's beta test [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132533-Tropico-5-Beta-Sign-ups-Open] earlier in the year - check your email - you should have received a 10% discount code that can be used in conjunction with the pre-order discount. Even players that didn't actually get into the beta, but still signed up, should receive the code.

Tropico 5 is also coming out for Xbox 360 and PS4, and while you can pre-order them from the official Tropico website [http://www.tropico5.com/en/buy/], they won't be out until Summer and Autumn respectively.

The PC version of the game launches on May 23.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/245620/]

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
no code for me yet and i signed up for the beta (dident get in drat it) :p dosent matter thou i will buy it either way haha i love the tropico games

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I'm glad we are all still celebrating the horrid idea that is pre-orders, the gaming community really showing it's spine made of goo right there.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Mr.K. said:
I'm glad we are all still celebrating the horrid idea that is pre-orders, the gaming community really showing it's spine made of goo right there.
Or the opinion that "pre-orders = bad" is a minority opinion and not as popular or prevalent as you think it is. I know I know, its no fair when people don't share your opinion en masse, but hey its not like its the end of the world. Anything that is honestly unsustainable will ultimately fail anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it either way. I'd be more focused on bringing attention to the fact that publishers are mostly run and managed by folk who've no clue about games, gaming, programming, or any of the myriad departments they oversee (except maybe marketing by which I mean marketing to easily swayed folk).

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
if they release a demo or something and I enjoy it even a fraction as much as I did 3 and 4 I'll likely spend a chunk of my built up steam wallet money

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Given that the pre-order bonus now includes a copy of Tropico 4, it doesn't seem like this pre-order is oriented towards most existing fans of the game, the ones likely to have pre-ordered regardless. I didn't even think much of ordering Omerta when it was on sale, so really the only thing that seems like a good selling point for people invested in the franchise is the DLC. Given how thoroughly interesting Tropico 4's DLC was, I hope this game pulls through, but the DLC shouldn't be something that tips potential buyers. If this game doesn't include a whole bunch of new mechanics, maps, etc., then there's going to be some consumer dissonance.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Could not care less about the preorder bonuses minus the %10 discount on a only $40 game (which seems completely fair to me). I really might consider getting this game if only because I REALLY need a good citybuilder right now and Tropico has always been a fairly good series.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Of course pre-orders are a bad thing, they attempt to by pass the review and opinion portion of a game release by basically bribing fans with incentives, though in this case its a few older throw away titles and discounts.

I mean how is it a bad thing to allow a good game to get reviewed and presented on its own merits rather than working out the worth of the pre-order, plus pre-orders often include 'special items' inclusive to the pre-order, which is to say buy it now or lose out forever.

Pre-orders have sort of got publishers working harder at hype and marketing than the actual product, if you can flog the bloody thing before its sale date theres no fear of bad reviews.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
Sleekit said:
just in case anyone reading this is interested...by coincidence Tropico 4 is -85% off today (£2.24) as steams daily deal. the collector bundle with all the dlc is also reduced.
thankyou :) i tend to shy away from steam so i wouldent have seen it in time

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Last night it was 50% towards the second pre-order reward. As of writing this is 80% - with a month left for this, I'll give this a week to see if it hits tier three.... not that I'm really interested in the third game

But the second reward - the first DLC pack being free - when we all know that this thing will have more DLC packages than Penultimo gets bribes... that's honestly not a bad pre order reward

EDIT: Barely six hours from it being 80% its 91

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
RedBackDragon said:
Sleekit said:
just in case anyone reading this is interested...by coincidence Tropico 4 is -85% off today (£2.24) as steams daily deal. the collector bundle with all the dlc is also reduced.
thankyou :) i tend to shy away from steam so i wouldent have seen it in time
Actually, yes, thanks for that heads-up. I'm not willing to try Tropico 5 as a pre-order for silly amounts of money, but a £2.50-ish one? Okay, I'll give it a shot.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
So the rewards are:
1. a game that fans of the series (and those likely to pre-order) already have
2. some DLC, which depending on the size, should be free or very inexpensive for a $40 game
3. a game that no one wants given how bad it is

I think I can pass on this. While I like Tropico, I can wait till expedia gets me a better rate ;)

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
ASnogarD said:
Pre-orders have sort of got publishers working harder at hype and marketing than the actual product, if you can flog the bloody thing before its sale date theres no fear of bad reviews.
You still have to sell the next game too ... few developers can afford to screw up as much as say Bioware with DA2 and still get more pre-orders the next time (didn't pre-order DA2 because I could see the trainwreck coming, did pre-order ME3 though cause I thought they'd not screw up their flagship series ... luckily multiplayer saved that one for me).