27 Fake Apple Stores Discovered In China

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Uber Waddles said:
Atleast these fake apple stores are selling REAL apple products. Or so it assumes. Wouldnt suprise me if thats not the truth. But seriously, how can any first world country let people get away with things like this?
Face value. Connections can get you pretty far, and if you know someone at the respective factory then it's quite easy to get some of the products "under the radar" and at a lower price.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Apparently Apple even found a couple of these in New York City this month. Not a lot of detail, but they filed some cease and desists against some Chinese-owned (of course) stores.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Again. China taking over the U.S.? Not happening. Get your OWN house in order first.
But it sounds like they're getting closer to figuring out Capitalism. heck, the movie industry in America was built on avoiding copyright laws.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
orangeapples said:
FalloutJack said:
Again. China taking over the U.S.? Not happening. Get your OWN house in order first.
But it sounds like they're getting closer to figuring out Capitalism. heck, the movie industry in America was built on avoiding copyright laws.
China is not a Capitalist nation, per se. True, they may figure it out, but if/when they do...it might change their nation and bring up a whole manner of other issues which could set every precident of order in the country on its head. In America, we have sort of a handle on things because we're crazy. What will the saner Chinese nation do once this power is unleashed?

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
FalloutJack said:
orangeapples said:
FalloutJack said:
China is not a Capitalist nation, per se. True, they may figure it out, but if/when they do...it might change their nation and bring up a whole manner of other issues which could set every precident of order in the country on its head. In America, we have sort of a handle on things because we're crazy. What will the saner Chinese nation do once this power is unleashed?
Try to take over the world!

They're Pinky and the Brain. They're Pinky and the Brain.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Core, fake Apple stores make me think there's in-cider trading going on.

I wonder if they're looking for Jobbs.
*winces*

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
FalloutJack said:
orangeapples said:
FalloutJack said:
Not a Capitalist nation per se, probably closer to Ultra-Capitalist.

China charges for, and bottom-line produces, every commodity. You can't drink the water in China because sewage goes through the same pipes. This has come about because the Communist (what a joke) Party simply doesn't care enough to spend the money to keep their followers healthy.

China is ridiculously concerned with image, if you aren't wearing the latest brands etc then you are in trouble.

I'm just back from 6 months in China, people I've talked to are actually PROUD of China's tendency to mimicry other cultures while creating nothing itself. Even worse, they think China makes these copies better than the originals. I'll tell you right now that this isn't the case.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Amethyst Wind said:
FalloutJack said:
orangeapples said:
FalloutJack said:
Not a Capitalist nation per se, probably closer to Ultra-Capitalist.

China charges for, and bottom-line produces, every commodity. You can't drink the water in China because sewage goes through the same pipes. This has come about because the Communist (what a joke) Party simply doesn't care enough to spend the money to keep their followers healthy.

China is ridiculously concerned with image, if you aren't wearing the latest brands etc then you are in trouble.

I'm just back from 6 months in China, people I've talked to are actually PROUD of China's tendency to mimicry other cultures while creating nothing itself. Even worse, they think China makes these copies better than the originals. I'll tell you right now that this isn't the case.
I would call that ultra-consumer then, if it's all about appearances and the latest thing and being empty inside. But then, my original comment on how they probably won't dominate the U.S. becomes even more prevalent.

th155

Mar 4, 2011
as China has laws in place that protect trademarks and prohibits companies from copying "the look and feel" of other company stores.
Yes, i see they are very good at upholding that law [http://kotaku.com/5812722/meet-final-combat-chinas-shameless-team-fortress-2-rip+off]

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
chuckey said:
I'm not too surprised by this. China has made many knock offs of many products: Wii, Ds, other various electronics, etc. As long as they are selling actual Apple products, has employees who know what they are talking about, and gives some of the profit back to apple then i see no problem. The only thing I would suggest is to make it a law to have a business license and then have cops come by every once in a while to see if they have a license and if it's up to date.
Not just that, but the "Genius" people (Tech Fixers) need to be Apple certified for repairs, the store must follow proper codes and all that jazz. Moving on, China is just pure lazy when it comes to holding up basic laws.

EDIT: Even that Final Combat is 100% proof its all ripped, sounds and weapon skins alike.

miscelaneous

Apr 4, 2010
My sister told me about this when she was in China. She avoided one of the stores because they misspelled official (with an S).

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
Arontala said:

This post made me realize just how much I miss Hankman...

OT: When I read the headline, I thought that they had found stores that were selling fake apples. I was very disappointed.
But nobody will ever replace Hankman... nobody...

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
...When I read the name of this thread, I though we were talking about street vendors selling fake produce.

Oh god, I feel so stupid.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I hope that guy that sold his kidney for an iPad didn't buy a knockoff at one of these places :\

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
vansau said:
However, as Reuters points out, "In May, China was listed for the seventh year by the U.S. Trade Representative's office as a country with one of the worst records for preventing copyright theft."
Ah, yes. The Special 301 [http://www.ustr.gov/about-us/press-office/reports-and-publications/2011/2011-special-301-report] list where all the vile anti-American nations go like those evil Russians, Indians, and Canadians.

(The Special 301 list is a bunch of political crap, like many things. You get put there if you're the worst of the worst or if you piss someone off. There's countries on the Special 301 with copyright laws MORE RESTRICTIVE than the US.)

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Uber Waddles said:
What a fucking joke. Really wish the Chinese government would step in and stop all these flagrant bootleg opperations.
Problem is these bootleg operations are so commonpalce that shutting them down would shut down half the economy. Its like how my Egnlish teacher went there and they were selling bootlegged movies on the streets in vendor carts.

The bootlegging problem in China is more or less as bad as the Cartel Problem in mexico /sigh

Ahh well... Not much we can do except complain.

Feb 13, 2008
AngelOfBlueRoses said:
Arontala said:

This post made me realize just how much I miss Hankman...

OT: When I read the headline, I thought that they had found stores that were selling fake apples. I was very disappointed.
But nobody will ever replace Hankman... nobody...
Hey, I was doing this long before Hankman :(