270: Fan of the Game

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Fan of the Game

Competitive videogaming has been around for a while but it wasn't until he attended a Major League Gaming tournament that Greg Tito became a fan.

Read Full Article

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I've seen some MLG stuff on YouTube, and while I don't think it is something worthy of going to another city to see, it's fun. It's competitive, it's really nerve-racking and it has its personalities. It's, well, a sport, minus the whole physical thing.

So, yeah, I couldn't agree more.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
I've seen some MLG stuff on YouTube, and while I don't think it is something worthy of going to another city to see, it's fun. It's competitive, it's really nerve-racking and it has its personalities. It's, well, a sport, minus the whole physical thing.

So, yeah, I couldn't agree more.
I actually prefer it, because I know how these games works, I can appreciate the tactics, the subtleties... Sport was never something I was any good at, so watching it just went right over my head, I couldn't appreciate it at all.

I think comp gaming is a load of fun to watch. Sure, I'd never skip city to go see it, but if I hear there's a live stream of tf2 coming up I'll try and catch it, it's usually fantastic fun.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I don't watch MLG but I do watch Starcraft 2 commentaries on Youtube. It's a lot of fun for me to watch the pros play and have a commentator elaborating about their strategies and tactics. SCII games have held my attention longer than sports games have.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Awe nothing about the SC2? :sadface: (if im not mistaken the SC2 tourney at MLG Raleigh took in more viewers than Halo3, me being one of them! Long Live HUK!)

Well if only Capcom would let MLG have SSF4 the event would have been even bigger!

also well worth the $10 for a HQ stream. quite enjoyed that weekend watching all them awesome pro matches \o/

Cant wait for the next Devastation and Evolution!

Analogy

Jan 12, 2010
It's sad to me that in the US, professional gaming on consoles is far more prominent than professional gaming on PCs. The higher accuracy of keyboard and mouse controls creates a much higher skill ceiling for PC games than console games. As someone who loves watching duels in Quake, watching top Halo players go at it is frankly sad. I won't deny that the players exhibit high levels of tactical skill, but Quake has the same level of tactical skill plus an added layer of aiming skill. It's just a ton more fun to watch.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This is quite true, I remember watching a whole season of MLG when it was on G4 and I loved watching them, going around, using different tactics, and pulling off a sweet-ass headshot every now and again.

If you can make money out of doing something you love, then go for it. Some people claim that games can't be a "sport" because it doesn't require skill (which is complete BS), or because it doesn't have any "physical" part to it. If Chess, bassfishing, blackjack, skeet, poker, and curling are considered "sports" then I see no reason why games can't be "sports" either.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Sorry, but I don't see gaming as a spectator sport; most 'pro' gamers are Stop Having Fun Guys who deserve neither praise nor prestige for what they do.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Wargamer said:
Sorry, but I don't see gaming as a spectator sport; most 'pro' gamers are Stop Having Fun Guys who deserve neither praise nor prestige for what they do.
And of course, you're basing that on having spoken to and gotten to know most pro gamers? No. I'd suspect the people who you're basing your assumptions on are the snot-nosed little squeakers who can barely spell "MLG". The "stop having fun" guys are rife at public level, but unless you've been to that level then I don't think you can make that assumption.

I'd agree that gaming isn't a spectator sport, but why should Baseball be? Why should football, racing, running, or for that matter ANYTHING be spectator based? Because it's fun to watch a talented human do something well. Millions watch F1 motor racing. Is it logically entertaining? Hell no, it's a bunch of cars driving around in circles. Can you appreciate the nerve and skill it takes it takes to take a corner at 200mph whilst your arse is about 4 inches from the ground? Yes. That's why people watch Louis Hamilton, that's why people watch gaming. To see something extraordinary.

JapJay

Sep 10, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
I don't watch MLG but I do watch Starcraft 2 commentaries on Youtube.
As Wolfwood mentioned, MLG has incorporated SCII into this year's season. I can't speak to the quality of the gameplay or the commentators, since I know zero about the game, but they do stream the matches and upload them on the site to watch after the event.

And thanks, Greg, for a great article. I appreciated your viewpoint and, being a member of MLG's site since 2005, I am glad that someone not necessarily familiar with the league can still appreciate what it is offering.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I have a couple of friends that do some competitive gaming on the side, I've always wanted to show up and support them. This article makes me want to do that even more!