Report: Assassin's Creed: Unity to Feature Four Player Narrative Co-Op

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Report: Assassin's Creed: Unity to Feature Four Player Narrative Co-Op

Ubisoft will unveil two new trailers for Assassin's Creed: Unity at this year's E3; one will focus on single-player, while the other will showcase a four-player "narrative" co-op mode.

If you're an Assassin's Creed fan and feel the yearly franchise is running through the motions, then its latest entry -- Assassin's Creed: Unity -- might just be the game that shakes the franchise up. According to someone at Ubisoft who wishes to remain anonymous; Assassin's Creed: Unity will, for the first time in franchise history, feature a four-player "narrative" co-op mode. This new mode, along with the single-player, will be showcased at this year's E3 in two separate demos. Former NeoGAF poster Shinobi602 first revealed this tidbit over on Twitter, [https://twitter.com/shinobi602] which I've verified comes from a legitimate Ubisoft source.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/shinobi602/statuses/457327029198000128]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/shinobi602/statuses/457327902636642304]

It's also been said that the two demos won't necessarily be shown at the same press conference. Odds are, one of the demos will be shown off during Ubisoft's presser, with the other set to appear elsewhere. Seeing as Ubisoft has been chummy with Sony the past few years, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the demos is shown off at Sony's PlayStation press conference. Keep in mind that things could change from now until E3, but based on the info we received, four-player co-op is indeed a reality and we'll see it firsthand come E3 this June.

For our first glimpse at Assassin's Creed: Unity, make sure to give claimed that the reason the publisher is releasing yearly entries in the franchise is due to people wanting it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133132-Assassins-Creed-Unity-Set-in-Paris-Says-Ubisoft]

What do you make of this reported new four-player narrative-driven co-op mode? Will it be enough to reinvigorate the franchise?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Coop? Not surprised by the title "Unity", to be honest. And it was something I expected the series will have at one point.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Alex Co said:
What do you make of this reported new four-player narrative-driven co-op mode? Will it be enough to reinvigorate the franchise?
Could be? But I think there are always tons of games that try to entice you with the word multi-player and Co-op but unless those features are really worth there weight, then I don't think there is much of a point. Would it really enhance the franchise? I've grown kind of sick of anonymous online multi-player, and as I get older, getting friends together in the same place to play a game like that is becoming harder and harder. So of course this is going to be more fun for kids which is ironic given the mature rating. It could be cool. I remember multiplayer for Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven was some of the most fun multi-player memories I've had and I imagine this would have a similar feel. I think it all comes down to the content that goes along with it.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
never cared for the MP anyway. played it a bit in brotherhood and wasnt really exited about it. Sp is all i care for and as long its good, im happy.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I couldn't care less about co-op in AC. Never cared about MP either. Just give me a good, long and fun single player campaign and I'll be a happy Assassin.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
I couldn't care less about co-op in AC. Never cared about MP either. Just give me a good, long and fun single player campaign and I'll be a happy Assassin.
Well, assassinations would be something you would need as well. Otherwise, you're just some random happy dude with questionable choice of clothing for what he does.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I heard the Assassins Creed Comet - the one for the 360/PS3 is going to be set during the Roman empire. That is far more interesting than France.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I am mixed on this. On one hand, if the assassinations are more like the first game's where most of the time you could use (and it was preferable to use) stealth tactics, getting a lay of the area, knowing where you can escape, where guards and rooftop archers are whatnot to get to the target, then I would be super hyped for a coop mode. Have two of your friends play rooftop cleaners and have them keep an overhead watch on the target and guards below, have one walk around and get close enough to cause a distraction without angering the guards and have the final guy sneak in from behind the target, take him down, then walk off like nothing happened (granted, this requires the target to be in a place that isn't some highly restricted facility or sitting in a chair in a corner of some sort. It would be so cool.
What worries me is it might be more like the 3rd game (I never played the 4th so I have no basis on that one) where most targets will basically just be a run in there and stab/shoot him scenario so coop will just be needless backup.
Still, the new environment and the coop have my attention for now.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
bugger me co-op ? what will they think of next !!!!!! its amazing to see that our gaming scientists can re create the technology of the ancients, the super advanced n-64ites were far ahead of us even now

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
This news of 4 player coop is making me imagine Assassin's Creed with MGS:peace Walker's coop...

Ok i'll give Ubi just one a chance. ONE chance damn it.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Alex Co said:
Wait, did the franchise die? I thought it was still okay to like AC since Black Flag was a fun game?

Is that still fine, or do I have to add AC to the list of games that get mandatory hate due to being yearly releases?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Right, do NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT link any of the trophies for Unity into this bullshit co-op mode! The other MP trophies for the last few Creeds have been some sort of boring endurance tests for the terminally unemployed. I know this is a purely hollow comment which will get ignored, but please no more online trophies. I just don't have the time or patience to reach level bloody 50 in the slowest gameplay ever created. [/rant}

OT: I'm still yet to understand why this shoe horning of co-op into everything is taking over. Most people I speak to either never go near it, never knew it existed, or simply try to endure it to get 100%. As for the yearly releases....I thought they we're stopping it so the franchise wouldn't wear out and become some sort of time travelling Call of Duty.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Good luck getting four people to coordinate during one of those missions where being seen automatically means failure. Though I assume they will make it work somehow. Still does not make me more interested in the game though.

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
HA ha ha. That's genius.
I can imagine the rage of 4 people simultaneously failing those bloody tailing missions. That or they're just replacing your AI assassin recruits.

On a more serious note seems they're taking cues from RE. Hopefully it pans out for them; but I'm more interested in what the 360/PS3 version is like. Hopefully more in line with the series' strengths.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I love coop but either make the singleplayer story enabled for 4 missions or forget it, to just have a coop mode with a strict set of missions usually sucks for everyone, for the single player gamers that would have likedd to see those resources stuck in singleplayer and the coop guys that know that only a handfull of missions are available for what they really like to do.

I like coop and single player but if they are going the extra mile of making co-op work (having two players in the same session) just make it like Halo CE where it doesnt matter if the story stops making (4 Master Chiefs running around but somehow in cutscenes its only one), just let 4 players experience it together. If someone really cares about it ruining their singleplayer experience then just play it alone, but let the others enjoy it too without spending resources on stuff that no one realy wants (selected mission for coop only)

Bindal

May 14, 2012
wooty said:
Right, do NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT link any of the trophies for Unity into this bullshit co-op mode!
Seems to be a core-idea of that game so expect most of the achievements to be only obtainable in Coop...

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I keep on forgetting that there was an AC4... I guess the series really does need some fresh paint. That said, I haven't been all that chummy with any PS4 gamers, so I don't see how co-op will do me any good.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Hope this one will have some nice character customization, and growth. Haven't really seen something like that since Tenchu Z.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Man, AC could be as big as GTA if they'd just pull their head out and listen to the community for once.