Dragon Age: Inquisition Will Launch October 7

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Dragon Age: Inquisition Will Launch October 7

BioWare has set Dragon Age: Inquisition's release date and provided fans with a new gameplay trailer.

BioWare announced today Dragon Age: Inquisition will be available starting October 7. The announcement was included with a trailer the company released today. The two-minute video has plenty of action, beautiful landscapes, and returning character Varric. The news follows yesterday's reveal of Inquisition's box art. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133883-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Box-Art-Revealed]

[video=9093 autoplay=0]

The Inquisitor survives a cataclysmic blast that killed thousands, and no one knows how. A breach threatens to swallow the world as demons terrorize Thedas. The Inquisitor now stands as the one to restore order to the world and destroy the monsters that hope to tear the world apart.

The trailer is full of gameplay and shows footage of characters introduced in Dragon Age 2, like the witty dwarf Varric. It's not raining men, but it is raining demons, according to him. In a shot at the end with the characters standing together at a long table, you can even see a Qunari companion. Inquisition also marks the first time a player can be a Qunari.

Gameplay footage shows the Inquisitor casting powerful spells, rolling around, and making mincemeat of demons with a sword. Of course, there are also dragons - big ones, too.

Dragon Age: Inquisition comes to Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, and PC on October 7.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO2h4qUNJ60]

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Mcoffey said:
This all looks very good, but I wouldn't call it gameplay. In-game maybe, but show me the UI, some inventory management, what the game will look like as I play it.

From a story-side, I really hope they don't force the Chantry in a positive light this time around, or even the "Necessary evil" position. Everything they've done in these games from the organizational level has been awful. Don't mess it up like you did Cerberus, Bioware (They're racist, evil, and ruthless! Nevermind, they're just misunderstood. Fuck it, they're evil again, but dumber this time).
What was wrong with Cerberus? At the end of ME3 the Illusive Man's motives are very clear. He allowed himself to be indoctrinated to be able to control the Reapers. Everything he's done in the three games was to that end. Whether that's evil or not is up to the player, really.

Also I'm glad they're not going to release it until October. The longer the wait, the less chance there'll be of repeating the DA2 mistakes. I also quite like all the different environments.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
7/10.

It's not often you can have the launch date and review score match like that.

[sub]Just kidding, I think Inquisition looks like it could be rather good[/sub]

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Son of a whore! I'm going to be back in school! I can't afford to spend time playing it. Give me a summer release damnit!

But I'm pretty psyched for this. I hope it doesn't become another disappointment.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
It does look pretty good. Undeniably gorgeous, although I can't deny I'm disappointed about the direction they seem to be taking the story in.

It was frustrating enough that Mass Effect 3's story was, in the broad strokes, identical to Dragon Age: Origins', and it looks like they're rehashing it again here. You are the ONLY SURVIVOR and hence the ONLY ONE who can stop the Fade apocalypse/ Blight/ Reaper invasion. I'll reserve judgement, of course, and I guess you expect a certain amount of this sort of storytelling in a fantasy RPG, but it would be nice if they'd done something a bit different.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Anachronism said:
It does look pretty good. Undeniably gorgeous, although I can't deny I'm disappointed about the direction they seem to be taking the story in.

It was frustrating enough that Mass Effect 3's story was, in the broad strokes, identical to Dragon Age: Origins', and it looks like they're rehashing it again here. You are the ONLY SURVIVOR and hence the ONLY ONE who can stop the Fade apocalypse/ Blight/ Reaper invasion. I'll reserve judgement, of course, and I guess you expect a certain amount of this sort of storytelling in a fantasy RPG, but it would be nice if they'd done something a bit different.
The reason why they are going back to the BioWare standard story arc is because of how people reacted to Dragon Age 2's story and how they tried something different and along with the other problems of the game it was something that people didn't seem to like. It will be interesting to see if Inquisition is successful where they might take the story next time, stay safe or try something different?

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Huh... this looks great. I have a terrible urge to pre-order this game.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Okay.
At least it is being released this year.

Although I do have some things to talk about.
- This trailer did not view much about gameplay, so that doesn't look good in my mind.
- It looks ten times better then the past two games combined! :D
- The story, it seems a whole like "The Chosen One" on a bigger scale, while I don't mind the whole Chosen One thing, I just hope it doesn't go to crap like Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect 3. Also some connection from Dragon Age: Origins and 2 would be great, although I'm playing it on my PS4, so hopefully I can choose what happened before.
- The Characters ... we seem to have a lot of them, I think I saw Leliana too, hopefully the Champion and Hawke will be there too.

Still, I am excited for this and like many people, I am pleading with God to not let them screw this up!
But I'm very sceptical due to the recent traffic that EA and Bioware have gained lately

Please be good, please be good!
I'll pre-order it, but I'll be annoyed if it turns to be shit. D:

swiftax

Jun 21, 2011
Sanunes said:
Anachronism said:

The reason why they are going back to the BioWare standard story arc is because of how people reacted to Dragon Age 2's story and how they tried something different and along with the other problems of the game it was something that people didn't seem to like. It will be interesting to see if Inquisition is successful where they might take the story next time, stay safe or try something different?
Which annoys me since I'm one of the few that thought DA2's story was so much more interesting. I still like Origins, DA2 reminded me of something Obsidian would write, trying to balance the morality, making everyone guilty of something to incite the mage-templar conflict, sort of like FO:New Vegas, or KotOR 2 (which, again, I hold to be much better than the original, as great as it was).
THis actually strikes me more as trying to do both at once though, and I'm not sure that's wise. Are we supposed to focus on the Mage civil war with both parties pushing their own rhetoric, or is the whole "Demons everywhere destroying the world" plot going to totally overshadow it?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I expect at least one Monty Python referrence.

Other than that, I agree with others who say that this isn't much of a 'gameplay' trailer, so much as it is a combat trailer.

But then again, how do you build an exciting trailer about dialogue choices and crafting?

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
hum... pre rendered cutscenes and cgi aren't part of the gameplay... Beside all of this, i remember some other Bioware's games that had good trailer and were average at best (swtor or DA2 for example).
With them i trust what i see.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
There is a fair amount of game play shown actually, few fighting scenes etc, sure it isn't all gameplay, but i wouldnt say there wasn't much.

And considering it looks this good now, it will look glorious in October, already seems to be better than 2, but then again all 2 needed was some more area's to explore and few more towns and vilages, (not even another city, vilages and towns would of been fine) and it would of been great.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
StormShaun said:
Okay.
At least it is being released this year.

Although I do have some things to talk about.
- This trailer did not view much about gameplay, so that doesn't look good in my mind.
- It looks ten times better then the past two games combined! :D
- The story, it seems a whole like "The Chosen One" on a bigger scale, while I don't mind the whole Chosen One thing, I just hope it doesn't go to crap like Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect 3. Also some connection from Dragon Age: Origins and 2 would be great, although I'm playing it on my PS4, so hopefully I can choose what happened before.
- The Characters ... we seem to have a lot of them, I think I saw Leliana too, hopefully the Champion and Hawke will be there too.

Still, I am excited for this and like many people, I am pleading with God to not let them screw this up!
But I'm very sceptical due to the recent traffic that EA and Bioware have gained lately

Please be good, please be good!
they said Hawke and the Grey Warden will be there too
and given that DA2 takes place during Inquisition, Leliana WILL be there
as for the gameplay, there's various actual gameplay trailers around, though they're mostly the E3 demo reel types
I'll keep my eye on this one tho
I wanna preorder the deluxe edition, but the shit is that it's digital and Origin loves pulling 30kbps download speeds on me

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
MinionJoe said:
StormShaun said:
if it turns out to be shit, you'll get what you deserve.
Fixed for ya.

Sure Bioware have had a few mishaps, but i wouldn't say what they have done has been complete shit, just...Different to what people expected. For all we know this could be GOTY and Bioware could redeem themselves. And tbh, i hope they do, Dragon Age: Origins was great, Kotor years ago was glorious, and the Mass Effect games were great to.

Admittedly Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were...different, but by no means unplayble, everyone wanted this, that and the other and got something completely different. TOR did the same but still has players going to it.

I'm not saying i have high hopes for this game, but i am willing to give it a chance. What i see so far has me really interested, If they have all this done now, October should be very interesting.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I am trying so hard to come up with a joke about no one expecting a Dragon Age: Inquisition. Sadly, I can't.

OT - Looks interesting. Fro the fragments of story in the trailer, it sounds like it could have good writing at least.

swiftax

Jun 21, 2011
arc1991 said:
MinionJoe said:
StormShaun said:
if it turns out to be shit, you'll get what you deserve.
Fixed for ya.

Sure Bioware have had a few mishaps, but i wouldn't say what they have done has been complete shit, just...Different to what people expected. For all we know this could be GOTY and Bioware could redeem themselves. And tbh, i hope they do, Dragon Age: Origins was great, Kotor years ago was glorious, and the Mass Effect games were great to.

Admittedly Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were...different, but by no means unplayble, everyone wanted this, that and the other and got something completely different. TOR did the same but still has players going to it.

I'm not saying i have high hopes for this game, but i am willing to give it a chance. What i see so far has me really interested, If they have all this done now, October should be very interesting.
I can stand by that sentiment. Bioware are by no means glorious gods who make no flaws, but I've never played a game of theirs that was objectively bad. Whether or not you hate the ending of ME3, it is the best shooting and combat that Mass Effect has ever had, SWtOR may be a bit wasteful with it's design, but I've still played through half the character stories, a couple of which are brilliantly fun (looking at you Imp Agent). So no, despite my occasionaly complaints about Bioware, I don't think its necessarily fair to say anything they've made is total crap, especially not when we live in an age where things like "Guise of the Wolf" or "Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes" can commit much bigger sins than growing somewhat milquetoast.