Thousands Sign StarCraft 2 Petition

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Thousands Sign StarCraft 2 Petition

Thousands of people have signed a petition imploring Activision-Blizzard to put LAN play back into the game.

At the end of June, Blizzard announced that StarCraft 2 would not support LAN play [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92748-Update-StarCraft-II-Will-Not-Support-LAN]. This did not go down well with fans of the series, and they did what gamers do in this kind of situation, they started a petition. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92818-Fans-Petition-For-StarCraft-II-LAN-Blizzard-Responds]

Blizzard may have brushed it off in July, when the petition only had 13,000 signatures, but in the last six weeks, things have changed significantly. At the time of writing, the total number of signatures stood at 100,452. To put that into perspective, the boycott against Left 4 Dead 2 had a little over 41,000 supporters, and that seemed to work pretty well.

The question now is whether or not Blizzard, more correctly called Activision-Blizzard, is going to pay any attention. If you want to sign the petition, you can find it here [http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?LANSC2].

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/16/more-than-100000-sign-starcraft-ii-lan-petition/]

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Signed just now. I can't imagine how I would have gotten into Starcraft wihout LAN with my friends.

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
signed it right away, how stupid is that? That's one of the coolest things to do with RTS games.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Now... if they only would stop that "Episodes" crap. God... moneymaking is it really that good? Really, just pack everything into the game and don't try to milk the customers so bad.

I went from: "Ah cool, new starcraft; Note to self: buy" to " Episodes? Ah crap... well, maybe the goldpack in two years, when its at 10 bucks" when they announced that.

And yes, LAN is important. What should we play at cool LAN-parties with ouir friends if not starcraft? (We still play the first one in nostalgia parties)

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Omg, I hope Blizzard won't take it seriously because that poll system is not spamm proofed... And with Blizzard's current plans with Battle.net 2.0 they simply can not do it. It's against all of their planning on monitoring and hack-free gaming experience.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Signed, don't care if production time gets delayed, LAN tournaments were what saved at least being a LITTLE social for me.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Dude, StarCraft IS LAN! What would a LAN party be without Counter-Strike and StarCraft?!

SonofSeth

Dec 16, 2007
I'm waiting for more info from Blizzard. Wait, I don't care about LAN, I don't plan to drive my box all the way across town when I can just play over Bnet and talk over voip, phew, LAN is redundant this day and age.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'll say it like I said it before, this is why the L4D2 boycott was a good thing.

While I won't get into the reasons for the L4D2 boycott being here, because people voiced their concerns and annoyances people are taking that to the next level. If 100,000 people sign a petition for a game option, just imagine how many people will sign and voice their hatred against DRM? Hell, it's a much more legitimate way to get back at the company than Piracy, all mass piracy does is make the company want to use even more restrictive DRM.

That's why I think the L4D2 boycott was a good thing, personally at least.

xmetatr0nx said:
Hmm well if this does work out for the protestors then they will have more to protest about when the game gets delayed again to fix it. I do wonder how far along in production they are, guess we'll have to wait and see how they react.
The game is delayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93671-StarCraft-2-Officially-Delayed] unironically (ironically?) because of the new BattleNet they're pushing.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I don't play Starcraft (or any RTS really) but if you take out LAN, something that PC multiplayer was practically built on, you really are taking away more enjoyment from the fans.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Jumplion said:
I'll say it like I said it before, this is why the L4D2 boycott was a good thing.

While I won't get into the reasons for the L4D2 boycott being here, because people voiced their concerns and annoyances people are taking that to the next level. If 100,000 people sign a petition for a game option, just imagine how many people will sign and voice their hatred against DRM? Hell, it's a much more legitimate way to get back at the company than Piracy, all mass piracy does is make the company want to use even more restrictive DRM.

That's why I think the L4D2 boycott was a good thing, personally at least.

xmetatr0nx said:
Hmm well if this does work out for the protestors then they will have more to protest about when the game gets delayed again to fix it. I do wonder how far along in production they are, guess we'll have to wait and see how they react.
The game is delayed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93671-StarCraft-2-Officially-Delayed] unironically (ironically?) because of the new BattleNet they're pushing.
But I must say the L4D2 boycott is much better than an online petition. The L4D2 is a group in STEAM, at the game maker own backyard.(If they bother) They can discuss betewen every member, they can even rally themselfs and move to VALVe door(But they gamers of course they wont). So online petition is lame it's just random names on a web page. While the group thing is random people on an "active" online group. The "active" part is what makes the difference.

Also they could just distribute the game over STEAM or Stardock and have DRM and LAN.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Sadly, no, Blizzard doesn't care. And after this, I couldn't care less about SC2, the new and shiny (and slippy) BNet 2.0, or Diablo 3 (which will receive the same treatment). Blizzard has stopped supporting the people that put them were they are.

A pity, but hey, it's their cat, and they can fuck it however they want.

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
When blizzards anti-piracy interferes with legit customers' experience, then they are no better than those Starforce morons.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Signed, I have some fellow nerd friends who live in the country, I would hate to think that a large part of what Starcraft is would be unnaccessible to them.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
That seems like a pretty huge omission from Blizzard.

LAN play pretty much made StarCraft.