DC Provides a Peek Into the Future of Future's End

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
DC Provides a Peek Into the Future of Future's End

DC has released details giving fans a peek of what to expect in the upcoming Future's End storyline.

DC's new limited series Future's End will open with an arguably humble opening shot next month, launching in a special 0 issue that will be distributed as a part of Free Comic Book Day. That being the case, the series is looking as though it will be nothing short of gigantic, involving a massive portions of the publisher's New 52 books in a storyline that will take months to resolve and shoot readers five years forward in the DC Universe's current continuity.

DC fans, in turn, have understandably been eager to learn more about what will their favorite heroes and villains are in for in the story. The answer, at least according to some recently revealed September 2014 solicitations, would seem to include no shortage of death and "dark," "extreme" content.

On the death side of things, it looks as though the Teen Titans are destined to meet their end so they can be replaced by "a new group of young heroes." Green Arrow is apparently also going to meet his maker with a similar replacement planned.

Not all the doom and gloom will be restricted to the dead and dying however, Wonder Woman's recent turn toward godhood will apparently be taking a dark turn during the Future's End saga as she "embraces her true nature as the God of War to battle the armies of Nemesis" and, in turn, "[spells] doom for humanity." There will apparently also be a new "darker Superman prowling the streets of Metropolis" with a mysterious identity as well as a Batman who has taken to "using dangerous science to help him continue his war on crime."

Perhaps providing a counterbalance to all of these black tidings will be a few marriages. Harley Quinn and the Joker, for instance... Well, that probably won't end well. But you know what what? At least we can look forward to Supergirl reconciling with her father! Oh, she does it "in the most horrific way possible." Well, that doesn't sound good! Tell you what, take a look at the list for yourself and let us know what looks interesting to you.

Source: <a href=http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/04/22/september-event-month-group-solicits-july-2014>DC

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I'm starting to picture DC as an old Roman slave ship, with Didio standing at the stern, pounding a drum and chanting "GRIMMER. DARKER. GRIMMER. DARKER."

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Why must you do this to poor McGiniss? What did that boy ever do to you? That universe was already grim and gritty enough, and it did it without being soul-crushingly overbearing! WHY MUST YOU RUIN MY HAPPY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Just make a Batman Beyond movie already.

McMarbles said:
I'm starting to picture DC as an old Roman slave ship, with Didio standing at the stern, pounding a drum and chanting "GRIMMER. DARKER. GRIMMER. DARKER."
This is some genuinely good satire right here people.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Wasn't the New 52 supposed to be a fresh start to revamp the characters?

So now it's just "That didn't really work, so we're turning them ALLLLL EVIIIIIILLLLLLL!"

Unhappy endings for everybody! That's what these Game of Thrones kids like nowadays isn't it?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:

So now it's just "That didn't really work, so we're turning them ALLLLL EVIIIIIILLLLLLL!"

Unhappy endings for everybody! That's what these Game of Thrones kids like nowadays isn't it?
Nono! Crisis on Infinite Earths was supposed to be the fresh start to revamp the characters and make the stories darker, more realistic and more compelling. And then Infinite Crisis. And 52. and Countdown and and I lost track. I think the New 52 was just to jetison the last of DC's loyal fans so all they had to do was churn out Batman merchandising content and didn't have to worry about all those messy stories andmonthly new art.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
faefrost said:

Nono! Crisis on Infinite Earths was supposed to be the fresh start to revamp the characters and make the stories darker, more realistic and more compelling. And then Infinite Crisis. And 52. and Countdown and and I lost track. I think the New 52 was just to jetison the last of DC's loyal fans so all they had to do was churn out Batman merchandising content and didn't have to worry about all those messy stories andmonthly new art.
So you're saying that DC is operating under the same driving principle as my car that time I accidentally turned it on in first gear with the clutch up and the handbrake on:

It bursts forward with a tremendous bolt of vitality and freshness, and then suddenly stalls. Then without warning there's another jolt of new energy and life, and then it dies down again. Then it lurches forward sickeningly as my mother shouts "Turn it off you idiot" and you can hear the handbrake straining.
Then it hit our front gate.
Then it stopped.

I wonder if DC'll remember to put the clutch down and actually control their reboot, or how long they have before it runs away from them again and they hit that gate?

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Considering that in two years I will be seeing Captain America 3 and NOT Superman versus Batman, I wonder which company has managed to not completely kill any interest I have in their property. Gyah, this is so stupid. Is it sad that the best DC thing I've seen recently has been the two minute Batman Beyond clip?

cokeordie

May 20, 2009
Because DC making things darker and grittier has always turned out so well for them.

This sounds like complete garbage.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
faefrost said:

So you're saying that DC is operating under the same driving principle as my car that time I accidentally turned it on in first gear with the clutch up and the handbrake on:

It bursts forward with a tremendous bolt of vitality and freshness, and then suddenly stalls. Then without warning there's another jolt of new energy and life, and then it dies down again. Then it lurches forward sickeningly as my mother shouts "Turn it off you idiot" and you can hear the handbrake straining.
Then it hit our front gate.
Then it stopped.

I wonder if DC'll remember to put the clutch down and actually control their reboot, or how long they have before it runs away from them again and they hit that gate?
Hit the gate? They're well past the gate and heading for a cliff ala Thelma and Louise.

The truly weird thing. At this point I can't see the "new 52" surviving too or past a Justice League movie. The problem is the comic characters no longer match the knowledge of the characters that exist independently in the pop culture. If they try and ram new 52 versions of the Justice League down movie goers throats it will fail. If they go with more traditional ones the DCU will get retconned again to bring things more in line with the better known stuff. They published themselves into a corner. Their core product no longer matches their merchandizing and generally known product.

Jan 12, 2012
McMarbles said:
Magnificent.

OT: Can we please stop with the dark and gritty Superman? The darkest Superman can get is Red Son; beyond that, it's no longer recognizably the same character. Let the fans have comics (and hopefully movies) that celebrate the characters, not ones that try and revamp the characters to fit a non-existent demographic.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Okay so as a person who does read some New 52 comics. Yeah way to miss the point entirely DC.

Love that Harley and Joker are getting married... I mean it's not like Death in the Family did a whole comic where Harley got over him, moved on with her life and also found out she wasn't the first "Harley" and that he just gets bored with them and kills them.

Oh and it's not like most fans really like the current Green Arrow and his comic has been one of the shining points of the New52. We'll just kill him off and make a new one who's darker and broodier like that CW show.

But hey character growth, change, interesting stories. That's for losers.

DC Comics: You care, we kill.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Wait, they're goin to kill off the Teen Titans?

For fucks sakes DC. The Titans were one of your biggest sellers for the longest time and you've done nothin but take a dump on them over and over since the new 52 launch. You made long standing members of the Titans side characters at best, you fucked with personalities of so many of them. Just. Ugh.

Is there like some fuckin rule in the DC universe that if you need to kill off quasi-important people, go straight for the Teen Titans. They're just kids, but they're superheroes so its totally cool to have them horribly murdered.

Aside from that I'm torn. On one hand, god damnit I wanted Teen Titans to succeed so badly. I loved the comics when I discovered them in the early 2000's. I absolutely adored the animated TV show. I adored the Young Justice shows/comics. Because of that I just hate to see them killed off.

On the other hand, god is it awful. Solstice was wonderful and Cassie was enjoyable, but everyone else? Kid Flash was half as interestin as I remember him, Superboy is and will always be incredibly borin. Robin was, well...Robin, but not fun at all. The one latino guy seemed like he was thrown in simply so they could fill some quota and use incredibly stereotypical lines. The Ravagers was a gigantic clusterfuck that thankfully ended quickly, but the integration back into the Titans for the members of the Ravagers was sloppy at best. Raven's introduction was sloppy at best and hasn't been remotely as interestin as it could have been. On top of that, the entire start of it just left a hugely bad taste in my mouth because they almost expected people to buy 4 different comics in order to get the whole picture with incredibly obnoxious "See Superboy volume 2 to see what happened here!" tags thrown in constantly to remind you just how much you're missin out on.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
Will the dark Superman man have the 90's mullet of extreme? Jeez this all sounds eerily familiar actually. So much seriousness!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
IT HAS BEEN zero DAYS SINCE DC HAS DONE SOMETHING STUPID.

It used to be that DC could reach double digits on the stupid decision counter, now it seems they want to crash and burn as quickly as possible.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Ten bucks says they're all robots and the status quo is restored within a month.
I'll take that action, but 6 months. They have to setup up the reboot, and blah blah blah to get everything ready for the turnaround.