BOOYAH! Ray Fisher is Cyborg in Batman Vs. Superman

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
BOOYAH! Ray Fisher is Cyborg in Batman Vs. Superman

Zack Snyder's sequel calls the former Teen Titan up to the big leagues

Speculation that the now-shooting sequel to Man of Steel, still widely refered to by its unofficial title Bamtan Vs. Superman, will serve as the direct launching point for a Justice League movie just got another big boost: Theater actor Ray Fisher has been cast in the previously unnanounced role of Victor Stone, aka the half-man/half-machine superhero Cyborg, [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg_(comics)] joining a roster of DC Comics heroes that already includes Ben Affleck as Batman, Henry Cavill as Superman and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

Created in 1980 by Marv Wolfman and George Perez, Cyborg originated as a member of the first Bronze Age iteration of the Teen Titans. One of DC's most prominent African-American heroes, Stone (in the comics) has enhanced genius-level IQ and cybernetic body parts installed by his scientist parents after he was critically injured during an experiment at S.T.A.R Labs. In 2011, he was made a member of the Justice League as part of DC's "New 52" reboot.

The character was briefly part of the final 80s iterration fo the Superfriends cartoon, but attained lasting mainstream popularity through the Teen Titans animated series over a decade later. At this time, no indication has been given to the size or scope of Fisher's role in the film, i.e. whether or not he will become Cyborg as part of the story or have already been transformed when the story opens.

The film is currently still set to open on May 6 of 2016, opposite Marvel's Captain America 3.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/batman-superman-cyborg-ray-fisher-1201163390/]

Sep 14, 2009
I guess I didn't pay attention before, but may 2016?!?! holy crap, that is quite a long ways away considering how much we've already heard about the movie.

still, more cyborg is welcome, at least if it's from the 2000's teen titans and not the new stuff so much.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Ok, that's it, they've lost it. First they made it Batman vs Superman instead of just Man of Steel 2 (because fuck developing Superman's character, right?), then they had to add Wonder Woman (she doesn't need her own movie), then Jesse Eisenberg to play Luthor (the wimp from Zombieland is the prefect guy to play a ruthless and cunning businessman), now this? Stop this shit, WB.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
This movie is more and more sounding like a piled on mess...especially since I recall them saying they DON'T plan to try a big movie franchise like the Marvel films have done...it's just 'throw everything into a pot'.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
"No we don't want a giant movie franchise, we just want to throw as many of our properties into one movie"

I really want to know if the writers planned all of this from the beginning or if some WB executive comes in once a week to tell them that the movie needs another big name hero or villain.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That's great, but I have a question:

DC, what happened to Starfire and Raven? They were by far my two favorite Teen Titans and they both seem to be fan favorites as well, and yet these two are rarely touched. Why is Cyborg the break-out star from Teen Titans?

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
That's great, but I have a question:

DC, what happened to Starfire and Raven? They were by far my two favorite Teen Titans and they both seem to be fan favorites as well, and yet these two are rarely touched. Why is Cyborg the break-out star from Teen Titans?
If I had to guess then Starfire is out 'cause they've already got one alien, Robin is out 'cause they need to introduce Batman, and Raven is out 'cause her back-story is too complicated to put into this train wreck of a movie given that they already have Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

Cyborg on the other hand has a very simple back story, and isn't attached to anyone.

I don't know why Beast Boy is never developed in anything though.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
So Batman vs. Superman seems like an increasingly inaccurate title. We've got Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, now Cyborg, and rumors of The Flash and Green Lantern.

When do they break down and just say "screw it, we're making Justice League"?

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Hey Bob it's time for a Big Picture on Cyborg and why DC is pushing him so hard to become one of their biggest heroes.
Probably because they want a black guy for their ensemble and I guess the Hal Jordan green lantern is the quintessential one.

Also this movie is probably going to be fucking bad. Either these characters are going to be underdeveloped or they're going to eat up a good chunk of the movie with their introductions.

Avengers worked because the only characters that needed to be introduced were black widow and hawkeye but both those characters are normal human beings. They didn't need to spend much time explaining why bruce banner turns into a giant green monster or why tony stark has a robot suit. Fuck, Thor could show up and just start slinging lightning and magic hammers around because he had a whole movie establishing the crazy fantasy world he comes from.

I guess they could just assume everyone knows who wonder woman is, or cyborg, or batman (unless he's supposed to be the same batman as the nolan batman) but then they'd be leaving huge chunks of the story completely untold and if all of the sudden a super strong woman with a magic glowing lasso flies in with her invisible jet and there's no explanation for it, it's going to be really weird out of context.

I dunno, level of faith in this movie is really low.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Come on bob, Cyborg being in this movie is old news. Anyway, this film looks more like a quick grab for a justice league movie. Its not going to work.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
Why is Cyborg the break-out star from Teen Titans?
Probably because he is black and since they went with a white guy for Green Lantern they don't want the Justice League to have a whitewashed cast.

So can we assume that Batman Vs. Superman is just going to be the first Justice League movie and not actually a Man of Steel sequel? They've said that they don't want a big franchise like the Avengers but that is most likely bullshit. I'd hazard a guess that they are keeping it under wraps until some big reveal where nobody will be suprised at all. Afterall Sony are trying to make an extended movie universe based just on Spiderman characters, DC at least has a decent handful of characters that would suit their own movies outside of the team-up ones. 'Twould be stupid to not even attempt it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
They really need to give this film an actual title, Batman vs Superman sounds stupid. Also, the more I keep hearing, the more of a mess this will be, they're trying to squeeze too much out of this one film.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
So, is WB going to find room for Superman in his own sequel (remember, BvS is technically Man of Steel 2)?

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
The snowball's going down the hill and it's getting bigger as each news comes out. If anything, this is going to be a spectacular mess.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
My thoughts exactly. Hell, I'd argue that Raven alone has enough characterization to fill an entire movie (remember "The End" arc?), much as I love Cyborg, and much as I'm glad that Ray Fisher got the part, I do question the point of bringing the Titans into all this when we already have 3(?) other super heroes running around, let alone just one.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM?! It's not that I'm not excited for a Justice League movie but geeze, I feel like Man of Steel 2 is turning into a weird mashup of Iron Man 2 and every post Marvel scene with the strange casting and character choices. It almost feels like all of the characters who are going to be in this movie are meant to sell Man of Steel 2 more so than the Man of Steel himself.

canadamus_prime said:
At this rate the movie is going to have everyone in it except Superman.
What Canadamus said!

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I'll admit that the news of Cyborg making it into a DC Comics movie is hype. But this is suppose to be the sequel to Man of Steel; a film that has, so far, ballooned into Superman/Batman or Worlds Finest (after the addition of Wonder Woman). Maybe DC/WB finally snapped and just said "Fuck it! We're tired of being outdone by Marvel/Disney! We're making this film into Justice League!"

I shit you not! I'm willing to bet everyone here that will be DC/WB's big announcement at this year's San Diego Comic Con. Because if they're just gonna cram this many characters into this sequel/spin-off (whatever the hell they're calling it now), it is only gonna make the final product feel so bloated with all of these shoehorned-in characters. It doesn't matter if all of them are gonna be in the final portion of the film or spread it out like so much butter on a piece of toast the size of a postage stamp, you cannot cram so much into one fucking movie and expect it to be the next Avengers.

BTW, is Superman still in this movie? They didn't completely forgot about him, did they? I know you used the same joke in your recent Junk Drawer episode of The Big Picture, Bob. But I'm starting to think the joke has taken a life of it's own.