8 Nuclear Monsters That Want To Eat Your Face

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
8 Nuclear Monsters That Want To Eat Your Face

The 28th anniversary of the infamous Chernobyl Disaster was this past weekend, sparking many reminders about the dangers of radiation. But then again, gamers are no stranger to the horrors of nuclear fallout, as judging by these examples...

Read Full Article

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I... didn't get the "yao guai bears"-joke. "Yao guai" is Mandarin for demonic ghost or demon or something, I think?

Glad to see the Bloodsuckers from STALKER on here, but the description is an utter exaggeration. Controllers? Chimeras? BURERS? Bloodsuckers are frightening to look at and a nasty surprise for low to early mid level players, but far from "by far the worst enemy you'll encounter in the wilderness of Chernobyl".

Also, I'll geek out completely here to explain that the Zones in Roadside Picnic were not nuclear disaster areas but left over from alien visitors and while the STALKER games take place near Chernobyl and deviate from their inspiration, the Zone there is the result of psionic/anomalous experiments. The nuclear disaster is merely used as a nifty cover for secretive and illegal experiments, but not the source of the mutants and anomalies.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Never came across Burers I assume? Then again I personally like to stick to SoC, where they don't spawn. Have to agree on the Snork somewhat since they can kill you in seconds when they hunt in packs.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Skeleon said:
I... didn't get the "yao guai bears"-joke. "Yao guai" is Mandarin for demonic ghost or demon or something, I think?
Yao-guai=Yogi? I don't know, I feel like that was the joke.

One of my friends used to theorise, based off of what Khan said about the nuclear war wiping out earth, heaven, and hell, that the demons didn't mutate from anything, that they're literally demons. I never got round to reading the book (really should) so I'm not sure about that theory. They're probably the monster from Metro that least resembles anything we know of aside from the singularities, so maybe. Interesting to think about, at any rate.