Marvel Adding 2nd Radioactive Spider Bite Victim To Spider-Man

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Marvel Adding 2nd Radioactive Spider Bite Victim To Spider-Man

Introducing "Silk," who as it turns out is not Spider-Woman.

Smack dab in the middle of this summer's "Original Sin" storyline, Marvel is mixing thing up - or, if you like, making things even more convoluted - in the Spider-Man mythos. This July on the pages of Amazing Spider-Man #4, Marvel will introduce "Silk," a young woman who as it happens was also bitten by the same spider that gave Peter Parker his spider abilities.

Marvel revealed the new character over the weekend during a panel at C2E2. After her debut, she will feature in an ongoing story expected to last several years. Said Marvel Senior Editor Nick Loew: "Silk is going to be a major Spider... character over the next couple years. She got bit by the same spider that Peter Parker did and we're starting to tease her story in every issue of Amazing Spider-Man."

No further details about the new character were presented aside from a page from her debut issue and a variant cover, which indicates her costume is made of webbing, somehow. Presumably she will likely not end up learning "with great power comes great responsibility," at least not in the same way Peter Parker did.

This is an intriguing idea. Though... perhaps it's that I'm still frustrated by the clone saga, or the Brand New Day hilarity, or Doctor Octopus turning into Spider-Man, or the way Venom, once introduced, got all over everything in the Spider-Man family of comics like bad BO, but for whatever reason this news has my Spider sense tingling. Spider-Man has been the recipient of some of the worst character and mythology derailment in comics history, with no one able to figure out quite how to treat him since Venom was introduced post-Secret Wars back in the 80s. I can't help but feel like this is piling more needless complications onto an already incomprehensible miniverse. (There's also the annoying fact of the sexylady version of an existing hero, not to mention her silhouette which suggests her spider bite caused breast implants to form.)

On the other hand, some fresh perspective on the concept of Spider-Man might breathe new life into a series that has become almost insufferably Soap Operaish over the last 20 years. With Peter Parker soon to return to life after two years dead (and Otto Octavius having picked up the mantle), a sort of mirror image of his life might provide interesting perspective. We'll all see for ourselves come July.

Here's the full variant cover, courtesy of Newsarama.

[gallery=2413]

What say you, commenters? Interesting concept, or just a few inches dug deeper into an already vast hole? Sound off in comments.

Source: Newsarama [http://www.newsarama.com/20966-marvel-to-introduce-silk-the-2nd-victim-of-bite-that-gave-spider-man-his-powers.html]

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
You're right, those are quite too big breasts...
And the rest of that cover, looks like Spidey bondage. Does not inspire confidence in me. :(

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
You sir leave Superior Spider-Man alone, it was awesome. The premise was cracktastic? Yeah. The book itself was still awesome. I raged like all did when I just learnt that they were going to make SpOck, but the book was well-written and I'm glad I read it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The same spider? If that's literally true it's hilarious. I'm imagine Peter getting back and flinging the spider out of a window in shock, where it lands on a girl who gets bitten and throws onto someone else in shock...

Spider City. It was a bit gutting for that Peter Parker guy who was all ready to go become a superhero only to find out everyone else could shoot webs out of the wrists. He had to go back to his sucky life and in general Spider City adapted to the freak plague of a spider being thrown around and biting people. It made the daily commute a little more interesting at least.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Kenjitsuka said:
You're right, those are quite too big breasts...
That's not what threw me off. Natural breasts can be that large. The incredibly tiny waist and way too wide and bulbous hips are what threw me.

"Corset" would have been a more apropos name than "Silk".

And the rest of that cover, looks like Spidey bondage. Does not inspire confidence in me. :(
I've never really been a fan of Spiderman, but I agree. I'm foreseeing a big pile of convoluted disappointment for the fans.

Such a shame.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I have to say: My first reaction to this was "Wait, that isn't already a thing?" I thought step 2 of Superhero creation was 'Make a superhero that is literally the same, but a woman.' I'm actually incredibly surprised that it took them this long to make such a character for somebody as popular and long-lived as Spiderman.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
It looks like Silk has the most common super power. SO no big change there.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, the same spider that bit Peter Parker? Well I suppose the radioactive must of expanded that spider lifespan and made it hard as nail to not be killed easily!
I suppose the same Silk make sense since they already used up Spider- girl, woman, Arachne, Tarantula and even using a different language for spider (Araña)

Captcha creepy crawler, a coincidence!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Well her body proportions kind of match those of a spider, nearly non-existant waist and a bulbous arse region. I bet she's got a weird face which is why they're hiding it.

And if she really was bitten by the same spider I'm impressed. In fact I'd rather read a comic about that spider.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I've always been curious why something like this never happened before, especially since everyone always seems more interested in the legendary Super Soldier Formula when far easier and existing power-granters already exist. Want bullet-proof skin? Research Luke Cage's experiment. Want another Spider-person? Inject a person with spider's blood like Jessica Drew or kidnap and dissect Spiderman to understand the mutations that give him his abilities. Fly people into space and get a whole army of irradiated Fantastic Four clones. Literally, not even the sky is the limit with this stuff!

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
vid87 said:
I've always been curious why something like this never happened before, especially since everyone always seems more interested in the legendary Super Soldier Formula when far easier and existing power-granters already exist. Want bullet-proof skin? Research Luke Cage's experiment. Want another Spider-person? Inject a person with spider's blood like Jessica Drew or kidnap and dissect Spiderman to understand the mutations that give him his abilities. Fly people into space and get a whole army of irradiated Fantastic Four clones. Literally, not even the sky is the limit with this stuff!
The Red Ghost did fly a bunch of monkeys into space and got them hit by the same cosmic rays, and wound up with a bunch of super monkeys exactly as intended. I think they had to handwave that the cosmic rays were a passing event and have gone away since? But the galaxy is a big place full of spacefaring aliens and they really ought to be sending people to find those things.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Kolyarut said:
But the galaxy is a big place full of spacefaring aliens and they really ought to be sending people to find those things.
And why not, right? Marvel CU is kind've already running with that idea.

Based on Strucker's comments on Loki's staff, he knows or at least has an idea about the stones, gauntlet, and a whole bunch of cosmic stuff outside just the Tesseract, which makes GotG's supposed ending "SHIELD van" teaser a hell of a lot more interesting - does the gang get kidnapped by Hydra or something?

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Spider-Man's had some baffling bad handling over the years for such a prominent character. I had just gotten interested in the character again a coupe years ago, only to find that what with the One More Day controversy and all that, nothing but the old reprints actually appealed to me. Brand New Day was supposed to be good, but by the time I'd checked back in that whole era was over and Dan Slott was the only writer again.

And the decision to give the character a weekly series with a single writer in charge instead the multiple monthlies that a big character/team like Batman/Superman/X-Men/Avengers traditionally has, which would let another writer take a shot at him wasn't a great idea. It's basically meant that for the last two years if you didn't like Dan Slott you were out of luck with Spidey. There was a really good team-up title, which was quite frankly better written that the main one, but since it was a companion series it couldn't actually dig into the supporting cast or make significant changes to the plot. Other than that, as much affection as I have for the character, I haven't read a Spidey ongoing in years.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the current Mark Waid/Chris Samnee Daredevil is the best Spidey to be published in years.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!! Now people are going to think my pseudonym comes from comics!
:mad: I was quite proud of the fact that I had one that couldn't be attributed to any particular fandom :(.

Apr 17, 2009
Haven't they already done something like this with Thousand [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_(comics)]?
So it bit Peter, it bit Silk and then it got eaten by that dude. Man, that spider was busy!

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Well...

It's saying quite something that the part of that silhouette that keeps drawing my gaze is her wrist.

I mean that's one thin wrist... There's supposed to be two bones in there but there barely seems room for one...

Is she going to be punching things with that? Because unless she also has the same doctor as Wolverine that's going to break...

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
32 year old male here. Having not been born in the United States of America, I remember reading whatever comic books I could as a child. For a long time I didn't even know there was a difference between Marvel and DC. I remember when Doomsday debuted and I learned that he had "killed" you know who, I was in shock. My thinking was "he killed HIM?! How? And where were the XMEN? Why didn't they help out in the fight?" I distinctly remember the friend that I was asking (that was the one that told me about it) answering "Cyclop's laser had little to no effect on Doomsday." Ah! Fanciful, youthful imagination filling in the blanks.

It wasn't until the age of 20-21 that I was fortunate enough to move to the USA, and one of my greatest joys was: "Yeah! It is now feasible for me to buy comicbook subscriptions and have them delivered in the mail." It was years still before I was able to financially justify doing so, but "The Amazing Spiderman" was the one that I decided I would buy. "You can't buy them all. Pick you favorite." And then "Brand. New. Mother ****ing! Day!" Happened. After everything that happened in the civil war, and "one more day," for them to simply undo everything that Spiderman had gone through because "reboot," I refused to read another issue.

I would check in on where the story is going from time to time, just because I can't help myself, and I want to get reinvested. The angle with SpOck intrigued me, but I know fans boys enough to know that it wouldn't last. But at least that angle got my interest. This "Silk" stuff, to me is "What? Because Spiderman needed ANOTHER spider person in his universe?"

Not interested.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Maybe her breasts are so big because they're engorged with spider silk, which she lactates as one of her special powers, which would also explain her self-produced silk costume (which may have peep-holes to allow her to squirt silk at her opponents at all times).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16554357

If scientists have crossed spider DNA with a goat to make a goat which produces spider silk from it's udders, then it stands to reason that a similar splicing of DNA in a human female would cause her mammaries to produce spider silk too, so Silk's breasts probably change in size depending on how much silk she's stored or squirted at enemies.

Her bizarre hip to waist ratio could also be due to the spider DNA (if her left hand is anything to go by), with her midriff resembling the join between a spider's cephalothorax and abdomen, and if webby tits and an insectoid body isn't already gross enough, I bet she also has 8 eyes and fangs.

If would be quite funny if this was true, that her hypothetical very sexualised silhouette was just a tease and in the light she resembles Jeff Goldblum's final form in The Fly.