Starbuck Joins EVE Valkyrie

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Starbuck Joins EVE Valkyrie

No, not Dirk Benedict the other one.

During the EVE Valkyrie keynote at Fanfest 2014, Owen O'Brien, Executive Producer on EVE Valkyrie, announced that Katee Sackhoff would be lending her vocal talent in the starring role of Rán. O'Brien spoke of that with VR, the literal voice in your head became increasingly important to get right. A small list of names was drawn up for who could properly portray the role of the leader of the Valkyrie fighters, and Katee's was firmly at the top. No doubt due to her roles in various sci-fi properties, especially as the hotshot Kara "Starbuck" Thrace in the recent Battlestar Galatica reboot.

EVE Valkyrie actually started life as simply EVR. EVR was little more than a demo a few CCP employees had pooled extra time on [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.406709-EVE-in-Virtual-Reality]. A fun proof of concept to make use of the Oculus Rift headset. The demo was simple enough to grok for pretty much any fan of flight simulators or sci-fi in general. Small squadrons of fighters fly around in space blasting away with canons and launching racks of missiles that corkscrew away at enemy fighters. The real linchpin was the head-tracking though, allowing to to fly in one direction and look or aim in another by simply moving your head.

[gallery=2430]

Little did anyone at CCP know, EVR was destined to be an absolute hit at Fanfest and every other show it was shown at. It didn't take long before EVE Valkyrie branched out to a larger team in order to fully flesh the game out, even confirming it as a launch title for Oculus Rift [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132033-EVE-Valkyrie-Confirmed-As-Oculus-Exclusive-Launch-Title].

Now with Starbuck barking out orders over the comms, EVE Valkyrie brings the immersive dogfighting experience together even tighter than before. Katee had a message for the Fanfest 2014 audience that can be heard here [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mAu1IqibA], fair warning the language is a bit NSFW.

What do you hear? Nothing but the rain.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Well that was fun, its kinda amazing to see how far Valkyrie has come since the tech demo they showed.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Am I the only one who read this title and thought "Great! I can fly and get an overpriced Frappachino in the same place! Oh, and Starbucks decals on my plane to show what an asshole I am to the frozen corpse of the guy I just bombed into oblivion."

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
The Gentleman said:
Am I the only one who read this title and thought "Great! I can fly and get an overpriced Frappachino in the same place! Oh, and Starbucks decals on my plane to show what an asshole I am to the frozen corpse of the guy I just bombed into oblivion."
Quite possibly, yes. Starbucks != Starbuck. "There must be some kinda way out of here, said the joker to the thief..."

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Mcoffey said:
Every time I see Katee Sackoff's name in an article, a small part of me hopes that it will be an announcement that she's been cast as Captain Marvel. I remain in waiting.

This is still pretty fucking cool. There hasn't been a Battlestar Galactica game yet worth playing (Besides that Freespace 2 mod, which was awesome), so this is definitely the next best thing. Have they announced if this is going to have the same kind of connectivity to the main EVE game as DUST? I dislike playing the main EVE game, but I love hearing about the game and interacting with it in a different, more enjoyable capacity would be delightful.
I'd love to see her as Captain Marvel too if anyone in Hollywood had brains in their head she would instantly get cast as this.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Rán, huh? Well, since it seems like they're sticking to Viking themed names in this game, it might be fun to point out that this is the name of an ocean goddess, known for taking liking to drowning passing sailors.

Isn't that a nice thought to keep in mind, when she whispers commands in your ear, as you fly into a fight?

toms

Oct 23, 2008
Product Placement said:
Rán, huh? Well, since it seems like they're sticking to Viking themed names in this game, it might be fun to point out that this is the name of an ocean goddess, known for taking liking to drowning passing sailors.

Isn't that a nice thought to keep in mind, when she whispers commands in your ear, as you fly into a fight?
Well, in this game you pretty much already are a drowned sailor. You serve her now.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Slycne said:
... EVE Valkyrie brings the immersive dogfitting experience...

Excellent, I've been looking for a game to help me find the right size pet for my apartment!

On a serious note, I can't wait for this game. My one complaint about the Core EVE game was that combat was too impersonal. It could get exciting at times, but all too often it was a case of selecting my target from the list, and clicking on my missiles until it died. This game puts you in the cockpit, so less spreadsheets, and more Wing Commander, and with Katee "Starbuck" Sackhoff screaming orders at me, I can already see my social life coming to an abrupt end.

I really hope they make this game connect with the larger EVE universe in the same way DUST 514 does. I'm going to be getting this game anyway, but that would just be icing on the cake.