Adam Sandler's Pixels to Begin Shooting, Will Hit in 2015

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Adam Sandler's Pixels to Begin Shooting, Will Hit in 2015

The comedy star will battle "iconic" video game foes in feature version of 2010 viral smash

It's been a few years since Patrick Jean's viral-video hit Pixels [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou8vRWTSsJo] got picked up for feature-adaptation by Adam Sandler's Happy Madison productions, but Sony Pictures announced on Monday that the film is headed into production at the end of the month.

While Jean's original video was essentially a plot-free "gag reel" of comic setpieces depicting 80s arcade creatures wreaking pixelated havoc in New York City, the film is planned as a sci-fi/action-comedy with human main characters and a storyline involving aliens who invade Earth after mistaking intercepted transmissions of classic videogames as threats. Sandler will play a retired former arcade high-score champion who is asked by The President (Kevin James of Paul Blart: Mall Cop) to use his gaming skills to defend the planet. Other characters will include Michelle Monaghan as Sandler's weapons-expert love-interest, Josh Gad (Olaf from Frozen) as a conspiracy theorist and Peter Dinklage as Sandler's rival from their arcade days. Chris Columbus (Home Alone, Harry Potter) will direct from a script by longtime Sandler collaborators Tim Herlihy and Timothy Dowling.

Sony will reportedly follow the lead of The Lego Movie and Wreck-It Ralph in aquiring iconic videogame brands and characters to appear in the film. The original short featured appearances by expys of Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Frogger, Tetris, Arkanoid and Donkey Kong.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/sony-dates-adam-sandler-film-pixels-for-summer-2015-michelle-monaghan-and-peter-dinklage-join-cast/]

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
FogHornG36 said:
so... that episode of Futurama?
First thing that came to my minds as well. As if I ever needed more evidence that Hollywood was running short on ideas.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Oh my god adam, why? Dude, just go and make grown ups 3 or whatever and stay away from my hobby. Bob just had to sit through amazing spiderman 2 and I do not want him jumping off boston bridge.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
I might be more interested in this if it didn't have Adam Sandler. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but as an actor.. I haven't enjoyed a single movie he's been in.

Now, I could be wrong. It could be great, and I'm willing to be open minded. We'll see what the trailers look like when they arrive. I'm just not holding up any big expectations or hopes.

(I've never watched the original Pixels until just now. It was really good. Very well made)

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I'm gonna watch this, but I'm sure I'm gonna hate every moment of it. Can't wait to hear Bob's review though.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
The moment a film today has the name Adam Sandler attached as a director and/or actor, it's already a guaranteed failure. So I'll just disregard this botched project and simply look forward to Wreck It Ralph 2.

Sep 14, 2009
ShadowGandalf01 said:
I might be more interested in this if it didn't have Adam Sandler. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but as an actor.. I haven't enjoyed a single movie he's been in.

Now, I could be wrong. It could be great, and I'm willing to be open minded. We'll see what the trailers look like when they arrive. I'm just not holding up any big expectations or hopes.

(I've never watched the original Pixels until just now. It was really good. Very well made)
that's the shitty thing, he's actually a pretty damn down to earth and nice guy, but holy hell have his movies just...sucked the past decade or so (depending on if you like him or not.) It feels like his humor is in the wrong century or something with how bad the movies are now.

I wish the best for him, and I might even see this, but it'll be one hell of a surprise if this ends up being good.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Joke trailer becomes full movie funded by Adam Sandler..yet.....I need to gather myself here because this just hurts to much...yet Dredd 2 has to beg it's fans to sign a petition so it will even be considered for funding......... WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Aug 1, 2010
I used to like Adam Sandler. I really did. Big Daddy and Happy Gilmore are two of my favorite comedies ever. Click was really well done and showed that the guy actually has range.

So it really saddens me that my reaction to seeing his name attached to a movie like this is pure unadulterated contempt.

The short looked cool, but Sandler is a whore. I don't mean that in a purely insulting sense, it's simply true. The man whores out to product placement and wastes money so he can give bonuses to his friends.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Can't wait for Ben Stiller to fire back with his adaptation of the dramatic gopher video. Starring Ben Stiller as a retired gopher who is brought out of retirement by the President (Vince Vaughn) for one last job whilst his rival (Owen Wilson) tries to stop him with hiLARIOUS results.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Can't wait for Ben Stiller to fire back with his adaptation of the dramatic gopher video. Starring Ben Stiller as a retired gopher who is brought out of retirement by the President (Vince Vaughn) for one last job whilst his rival (Owen Wilson) tries to stop him with hiLARIOUS results.

ohh that's a good one, but does that come out before or after Ben Stiller remakes another classic movie and turns it into the biggest pile of crap?

OT: What, oh Sandler just go f@ck Rob Schneider some more, after all your the only person in the world who likes him... hell you were made for each other!

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Racecarlock said:
Oh my god adam, why? Dude, just go and make grown ups 3 or whatever and stay away from my hobby. Bob just had to sit through amazing spiderman 2 and I do not want him jumping off boston bridge.
Me? I wish Adam Sandler's career would die altogether.

Why? Remember that movie about two straight guys pretending to be gay?

The original script was leaked a while ago, and it was originally going to be a serious drama that took a serious look at that kind of situation and the gay rights movement in general...

and then of course Adam Sandler got involved and fucked everything up.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Since when did classic arcade games beam signals into deep space? I played many of them when I was a wee lad and they were just giant CRTs in a large wooden cabinet. None had satellite dishes.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
ShakerSilver said:
FogHornG36 said:
so... that episode of Futurama?
First thing that came to my minds as well. As if I ever needed more evidence that Hollywood was running short on ideas.
I personally thought of the Doomsday Arcade series.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/doomsday-arcade/492-Episode-One

Bet it won't be as good as that.