Marvel: The Avengers Game Will Come When Right Developer Found

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Marvel: The Avengers Game Will Come When Right Developer Found

Marvel head of games, TQ Jefferson, speaks out on why there's no The Avengers game out now and claims, "Gamers, they know better. They're not going to flock to something that's sub-par."

If you're one of the many people wondering why we've yet to see a game based on Marvel's highly successful The Avengers franchise, you're not alone. Unfortunately, though, it seems that's not coming anytime soon, if comments from Marvel's head of games TQ Jefferson are to be believed. Speaking to IGN, [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/01/avengers-game-will-come-when-marvel-finds-the-right-developer] Jefferson says that The Avengers game will come once they've found the "right partner," since he knows releasing something sub-par won't be embraced by gamers.

The Avengers game will come when we have the right partner, that has the right vision, that has the time to develop a strong, competitive triple-A title and wants to do it right...It has to hit our three pillars: Fun and engaging gameplay, true to the characters, compelling story. Without hitting those notes, we shouldn't do it. Gamers, they know better. They're not going to flock to something that's sub-par.

Jefferson also admits that most movie licensed games weren't good and says, "I think the fact that there wasn't an Avengers game turned out in time for the film is indicative of Marvel's new attitude and the approach to how we find partners and build games. I think in the heyday of the movie licensed game, these games were popping out all the time and most of them sucked." The exec also acknowledges that games based on past movie properties like Captain America and Thor weren't exactly good and mentions Marvel "got a bloody nose on those."

Seeing as Jefferson mentions that they want to have the right developer to tackle The Avengers game, it's easy to surmise that they haven't found that studio yet. Who in your opinion would be the perfect studio to develop a full-fledged, triple A The Avengers game and what genre should it be?

For the latest in Marvel game news, make sure to check out Marvel Super Heroes, which was unveiled for Disney Infinity yesterday. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134142-Marvel-Super-Heroes-Unveiled-for-Disney-Infinity-2-0-Edition]

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/01/avengers-game-will-come-when-marvel-finds-the-right-developer]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The movies certainly wouldnt translate that well into a game but if it was a stand alone story then it could totally work

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Rocksteady could easily pull this off - only developer for YEARS that has any idea at all how to approach a superhero game.

*laughs at Beenox in the corner* - points for trying guys but you've failed like just about everyone else.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
AndrewC said:
Rocksteady could easily pull this off - only developer for YEARS that has any idea at all how to approach a superhero game.

*laughs at Beenox in the corner* - points for trying guys but you've failed like just about everyone else.
I got to play the angel's prosecutor here and point out that they only made two games of one superhero. Two rather terrific games I often play challenge modes of for quick pick up and play, but still. Then again, with amount of talent Rocksteady has, that's not a problem. The problem is, that they now belong to Warner Bros.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
AndrewC said:
Rocksteady
I was thinking the exact same thing. Get out of my head!

Seems this TQ Jefferson is, at least on the outside, gamer savvy. So it may be highly unlikely that Ubisoft or EA would get the contract.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
After playing Saints Row IV, I'd say that Volition could probably pull it off. SR4's gameplay was solid, and they definitely have the teammate banter down.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Alex Co said:
Marvel head of games, TQ Jefferson, speaks out on why there's no The Avengers game out now and claims, "Gamers, they know better. They're not going to flock to something that's sub-par."
Dear TQ,

I would call to your attention Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (released in October 2012). What the fuck was that? Oh wait. I know. A shitty ass attempt at cashing in on the hype of the movie.

In summary...
1. There is a game
2. It is sub-par
3. We did know better

Edit:

P.S.
While Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor all have their own licensed games, not all of them are bad.

The Captain America game was actually quite good. But stay away from Iron Man, and Hulk, and Thor. Iron Man had missions where the enemies respawned indefinitely and so did the objectives you were supposed to destroy. Hulk was entertaining to go and smash stuff but the missions were boring. Thor was just bad because it was a beat'em up where the collision detection was terrible. It was one of those "You had one job..." things where they fucked the only necessary thing up.

Captcha: Of course

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Rocksteady is a good choice, but I doubt Warner Bros would let them make something for Marvel as long as they're working with DC. Sucker Punch would be my first pick but they're owned by Sony who are also completing with Marvel in the movie scene... Plus then it would be a PlayStation exclusive and they'd lose millions of potential customers.

Maybe Platinum could do it? They know how to make a fun, over the top action game. I'd like to see what they could do with all the different Marvel characters.

Whoever they go with in the end, they would need some Marvel writers to write the script if they want to hit those three pillars.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
how refreshing.

how funny would it be if they ended up giving the licence to Activision though? :D

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
We had those massive things, can't remember what they were called, at the beginning of the...last? Console generation, where you'd have a team of 4 and essentially it was a continuity with a large selection of heroes and villains in it. They were decent from what I remember.

But also FoolKiller hit the nail pretty squarely.

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
RealRT said:
AndrewC said:

I got to play the angel's prosecutor here and point out that they only made two games of one superhero. Two rather terrific games I often play challenge modes of for quick pick up and play, but still. Then again, with amount of talent Rocksteady has, that's not a problem. The problem is, that they now belong to Warner Bros.
Not a problem at all. Travellers Tales is owned by WB and they make both DC and Marvel lego games. There was aGame Informer article a while back that discussed this in context of The Lego Marvel game which basically said that WB knows it would be stupid from a financial standpoint to restrict devs working on rivals products and are apparantly quite hands off (with TT at least) in regards to what franchises they look at.

If they can work on this I dont see why they wouldnt allow other devs to work on something.

Korastus

Dec 4, 2013
FoolKiller said:
Alex Co said:
Dear TQ,

I would call to your attention Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (released in October 2012). What the fuck was that? Oh wait. I know. A shitty ass attempt at cashing in on the hype of the movie.

In summary...
1. There is a game
2. It is sub-par
3. We did know better
Wasn't Battle for Earth based on Secret Invasion? It's got characters in it (like Magneto) that Marvel Studios isn't even allowed to use, so it's not really a movie tie-in.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The main problem is that an Avengers movie would have to reference the events and characters of the movies universe (like the changes they did from "Earth Mightiest Heroes" to "Avengers Assemble" to make it more similar to the established universe), and it would be constricted by them. Truth is, there has been several decent games with the avengers (Ultimate Alliance and Marvel LEGO come to mind) but one of the best things about them is that they were unrestricted with the characters and story...
Drummodino said:
Maybe Platinum could do it? They know how to make a fun, over the top action game. I'd like to see what they could do with all the different Marvel characters.
They are probably too crazy for Marvel and Disney. After all, Marvel is known to have people working at Capcom to make sure their characters powers were canonical, and Disney is known for being extremely protective of their IPs.
On the other hand, Platinum finest work is done while they are unhindered by censors, editors, or reality.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
There's already a Marvel Avengers game and it's pretty awesome. It's called Lego Marvel Super Heroes.

The Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games were pretty fun too.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I do say this with a lot of things, but give it to Platinum!

They can do a silly, OTT action game, which is what I'd want for a game full of superheroes

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Funnily enough I had a dream last night Bioware made a Mass Effect sytle game set during the Secret Invasion with the Player being a new low-power custom superhero tasked by S.H.I.E.L.D. to investigate super heroes and take down any Skrulls you find.

Woke up so sad that I couldn't actually play that game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AndrewC said:
I can't wait to see Hulk forced to dodge punches from average mooks to avoid dying. Or do the whole "predator cam" thing.

HULK STEALTH!

jelock said:
If they can work on this I dont see why they wouldnt allow other devs to work on something.
In short: people overestimate the "rivalries" between companies. Business is business is business.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thetoddo said:
Funnily enough I had a dream last night Bioware made a Mass Effect sytle game set during the Secret Invasion with the Player being a new low-power custom superhero tasked by S.H.I.E.L.D. to investigate super heroes and take down any Skrulls you find.

Woke up so sad that I couldn't actually play that game.
"I'm Commander Fury and this is my favourite shop on the Helicarrier."

I want to see it.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and its sequel were awesome "Avengers" games. True, they didn't hold the actual "Avengers" title, but they had the idea pretty down pat.

To this day those games are still a lot of fun, especially couch co-op with friends.