Star Wars Day: 9 Star Wars Characters We Wish Were Still Canon

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
Star Wars Day: 9 Star Wars Characters We Wish Were Still Canon

Eight of our favorite Star Wars characters that Disney decided aren't canon. Did your favorite non-canon character make the list?

Read Full Article

Ellie O'Daire

Kin-tree Guardian
Jun 23, 2012
I thought they only axed the post-Jedi EU? After all the hubub around Force Unleashed, I'd be really surprised if they don't bring that into the new canon, and jury is still out on the Old Republic era stuff, a lot of that really wouldn't have much impact on the Rise of the Empire Era even with the new movies factored in.

I'll miss Ben though. He was grew into quite the good character through the Legacy and Fate series, and Crucible seemed to be setting him up to be the main character for future novels rather than his father and the Solos.

I also majorly shipped Ben & Vestara, so... BIASED. :)

(I'm still optimistically going to cling to every bit of pre-RotJ fiction that hasn't been specifically killed by contradictory content.)

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
I would love for Tahiri Veila to be saved; raised by Sand People, shaped by Yuuzhan Vong, trained by Jedi, too bad she had such a moron as a Sith master. She had a lot of potential as a character, if they had use her consistently.

Personally, I glad we lost Jaina and that waste of paper that was her twin brother; never like either one of them. Part of Jaina's problem was that authors never really let her grow up, she was a angest teenage until she was like thirty.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
What about Saba Sebatyne and Vergere? What about the Wraith Squadron set? Is that the former are neither male nor human enough? Is is that the latter aren't force users? Well, I guess there was one token muggle on the list.

Apr 28, 2008
What, no Kreia?

Objectable said:
No Grand Admiral Thrawn? No Kyle Katarn? And why the hell is Revan a dude?
Because that's what Bioware decided he should be for The Old Republic.

Ellie O said:
I thought they only axed the post-Jedi EU? After all the hubub around Force Unleashed, I'd be really surprised if they don't bring that into the new canon, and jury is still out on the Old Republic era stuff, a lot of that really wouldn't have much impact on the Rise of the Empire Era even with the new movies factored in.

I'll miss Ben though. He was grew into quite the good character through the Legacy and Fate series, and Crucible seemed to be setting him up to be the main character for future novels rather than his father and the Solos.

I also majorly shipped Ben & Vestara, so... BIASED. :)

(I'm still optimistically going to cling to every bit of pre-RotJ fiction that hasn't been specifically killed by contradictory content.)
Yeah I thought it was just for post-movies stuff as well. Especially since EA is now the only ones who are going to publish Star Wars games.

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
Yeah, what the heck? They only axed the post-return of the jedi canon. Revan, Clone wars stuff, Starkiller etc. that takes place before that is safe.Veeery dissappointed in you escapist...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Technically, Darth Bane still exists. He had a cameo on the final episode of The Clone Wars, where he was voiced by Mark Hamill.

Too many Jedi on this list, not enough bounty hunters.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Ben and Cade Skywalkers, Darth Caedus and Starkiller don't belong on this list. Instead of them you could add Mara Jade, Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn and Grand Admiral Thrawn.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Objectable said:
Because he has been confirmed to be a dude for years?

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Irridium said:
Objectable said:
Because that's what Bioware decided he should be for The Old Republic.
No, that was LucasArt's call. And the fan outcry was legendary. So, they decided to make the Exile canonically female in order to mollify the fans. Three guesses which gender was preferred this time.

Hell, Gaider himself has said he views Revan as female. Unfortunately, it's not his call.

And I'm still confused on this whole "after axed, before fine" policy. Continuity is kind of a clusterfuck on the EU, but so many works set up, reference, or work upon events that happen at a chronologically later date. How do make that work?

Ellie O'Daire

Kin-tree Guardian
Jun 23, 2012
I expect the split is more "Everything after Jedi is out, while only certain things before Jedi are out." For example, I expect Rogue Planet or Outbound Flight might just get dropped entirely since they're mostly exposition for later stories, while more independent (or movie-related) stories like Darth Plagueis, Shatterpoint, or Force Unleashed might still work with the new movies.

Again though, I'm just clinging to any bit of fiction that hasn't been directly contradicted by new material. I expect the Tarkin novel might have some answers for us there.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Rag Doll said:
Yeah, what the heck? They only axed the post-return of the jedi canon. Revan, Clone wars stuff, Starkiller etc. that takes place before that is safe.Veeery dissappointed in you escapist...
Do you really think disney is going to go out of their way to follow pre-jedi EU? Lucas surely didn't.

OT: Wow, a lot of bias for the force users there and all of them white male humans (blah blah Revan blah but the depiction there is definitely a male human). It just seems like you're throwing in the main characters from the biggest or video game-related works in the EU that people are likely to recognize.

I was always a big fan of Bria Tharen, the slave turned rebel. Also, I'm surprised Mara Jade wasn't on the list considering two of her children were; although I do think the romance between her and Skywalker was like something out of a bad comic book (then again I think just about everything written after the prequels started coming out are at the same level as bad comic books). Grand Admiral Thrawn had more of an impact than some of the characters on the list. Kyle Katarn had more video games than not-han-no-really Dash Rendar. While I think Corran Horn is one of the biggest male Mary Sues in the EU (I still have his action figure), I think losing Wraith Squadron from the other x-wing books is a major loss.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Revan and Exar Kun are still canon(and I am pretty sure Darth Bane is too).

It's only the post-Return of The Jedi stuff that is no longer valid.

Also, where the hell is Kyle Katarn?

He was one of the few good things about the post-Return EU.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
I was under the impression that the novelized EU was discarded but video game canon was still canon. So Kyle Katarn should still be there, Revan (in SWTOR you still get the "wasn't Revan a woman?" comments from people from time to time for those who thought that Revan's gender was set in stone in that game), Starkiller I guess (though I hated that guy) etc.

Off-Topic: One reason I hated the Force Unleashed character is they amped his power to the point where he was stronger than all Jedi and Sith combined. It felt like if they ever did FU3 he would be controlling a Death Star with each hand...

Dr_Fred

Entitled person (until Monday)
Sep 2, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
Revan and Exar Kun are still canon(and I am pretty sure Darth Bane is too).

It's only the post-Return of The Jedi stuff that is no longer valid.
I'm afraid you are mistaken. Only canon stories left are Episodes + The Clone Wars ; all the rest is under the same "Legends" banner.

Darth Bane is still canon, since he appears in TCW ; however, Revan as well as Exar Kun got the axe. (I'm betting on Revan being added back rather soon though, I've heard that even Lucas liked him a lot. Many other could follow, depending on how (un-)creative the authors will be next.)

Dash Rendar is a nice touch, but putting Galen Marek instead of Kyle "Our God" Katarn sounds like blasphemy to me.

Also, what did Zahn ever do to you ? Neither the Grand Admiral Himself, Supreme Commander Pellaeon Talon Karrde, nor Mara Jade are listed ? What's with that ?

PS : Also, Tahiri Veila.

Hochmeister

Jun 2, 2011
Only the movies and Clone Wars Cartoons are still cannon. Everything else, including KOTOR and the Force Unleashed isn't.

I'd also disagree with most of your list:
Ben - rather boring as an actual character. Good concept for Luke's son though.
Cade Skywalker - Haxxed powers and an attempt to make SW darker and edgier. I won't miss him.
Rahm Kota - Dull mentor figure from a game with a terrible plot. Not bad persay, but not worth saving
Darth Bane - Is still cannon as he was in The Clone Wars
Jacen Solo - Controversial. I actually liked his fall to the dark side, but am in the minority.
Exar Kun - another haxxed Sith with ridiculous powers and little personality. Again, not particularily bad, but not very good either.
Starkiller - No. Just no. Another stupidly overpowered character who only makes sense as a video game character to enable the player to get into epic fights. Then he got worse in 2.

Here's some alternatives:
Grand Admiral Thrawn - should be obvious why
Mara Jade - again, a shoe-in for the list
Kyle Katarn - another clear shoe-in
Baron Soonter Fel - Basically the anti-Wedge Antilles. Leads the Imperial equivalent of Rogue Squadron, and had to deal with the breakup of the Empire
Corran Horn - Controversial and arguably a creator's pet, but I personally enjoyed the idea of a cop turned Jedi and different perspective he brought to the New Order.
Borsk Fey'lya - An asshole, but on the Republic's side. Democracy's great and all, but it also comes with its share of warts, the biggest of which is this guy. And in the end he went out with a bang.
Lieutenant Kettch - Easily the best character from the EU

Edit - Warlord Zsinj too. Awesomely mercenary, and his pretense of being a bumbling fool was hilarious.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Seriously dropped the ball with this list, dude. I mean, at least keep it to what was really announced to be non-canon. Bane, Exar Kun, and Revan are all before the movie saga and haven't been touched. That leaves three spaces for the true tragedies of extended universe.

The lack of Imperial Grand Admiral "Thrawn" Mitth'raw'nuruodo and Mara Jade Skywalker is insult enough, but I was utterly and completely shocked at the complete snub that was given to Our-Lord-and-Savior Kyle Katarn! I... I don't think I can ever forgive you for this heinous act of heresy, Schuyler...