Storium Will Change the Way You Roleplay and Write Online

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Storium Will Change the Way You Roleplay and Write Online

If you?re a roleplayer, writer, or fanfic author you must check out Storium.

Read Full Article

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It seems intriguing, and I really like that one of the goals is "Storium for schools," but when I saw the whole subscription model, I got wary.

stlhood

May 2, 2014
Stephen here from Storium. We are a small, independent team. The annual membership fee will allow us to maintain and improve Storium without resorting to advertising or other means. We've tried to keep it as low as possible ? it's just the equivalent of$2/month ? and if you only play a few games on Storium you won't need membership. Hope that helps!

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
I was really excited when I read this, but ya, the membership fee kind of threw some cold water on that flame. Even a small fee feels off putting. I mean I can find similar experiences for free in a lot of places from MUDing to simply opening up a google doc with some people online. I guess it's not a deal beaker with the ability to play for free in 3 games, but it's clearly a bucket of ice water.

Still I am excited. It sounds like a real good idea.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Hmmm... It seems interesting, but most online roleplays already have a background and most players have no trouble filling a page. I don't know who this is for.

An experienced DM and players won't need help making strengths and weakness and roleplaying.

Inexperienced groups won't be going online to do it, generally.

Throw in a subscription fee AND pay for extra worlds as they are developed, and I'm now very off-put indeed.

I mean, it seems neat, but like Nomotog says, you can get this without paying for the privilege.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
JonB said:
After reading the article, I'm a little confused about where the "fanfic author" comes into play for this.

Not that I am one.

<..>

[small]Hail Hydra[/small]

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
It all depends on how it turns out. If it offers a wholesome, intuitive experience and a degree of convenience that doesn't clutter your "virtual tabletop", then I can see it taking off.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Me and a few friends of mine spend a lot of time on the RP section of the forums here. This looks really good. I'm just wondering how many players this could handle before this system becomes a clusterfuck. I might contribute to the Kickstarter, even if my friends aren't interested.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Zontar said:
JonB said:
After reading the article, I'm a little confused about where the "fanfic author" comes into play for this.

Not that I am one.

<..>

Co-Op writing seems to be the big thing in fanfic writing these days. I don't know when this happened, but it seems like most fanfics are collaborations now. I guess I'd blame google docs because it makes it really really easy to have more then one person writing to the page.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
This looks REALLY interesting. I am would totally back this if I had money. :(
I really want to see what people will come up with for this.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
nomotog said:
Zontar said:
JonB said:

Not that I am one.

<..>

Co-Op writing seems to be the big thing in fanfic writing these days. I don't know when this happened, but it seems like most fanfics are collaborations now. I guess I'd blame google docs because it makes it really really easy to have more then one person writing to the page.
I can't say I recall much in terms of this apart from a few fanfics that spawned their own fanfics that had the author of the original fanfic say "meh, it works, lets make it cannon".

Not that I'm into that sort of thing.

.>
.>

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Zontar said:
nomotog said:
Zontar said:
JonB said:

Not that I am one.

<..>

I can't say I recall much in terms of this apart from a few fanfics that spawned their own fanfics that had the author of the original fanfic say "meh, it works, lets make it cannon".

.>
.>
Oh stop your shifty eyes. :p I stared doing fanfics again just recently and have been involved in a few Co-Op stories. (MLP if you are wondering.) Honestly writing with someone else is kind of a nice way to write. You don't have as many stuck parts because when you run out of ideas, your partner just takes over. Dialog and characters are really easy too because you can basically RP it out. (Then you want to go back and edit out any superpose dialog because rp tends to babble every now and then.) It also helps with a lot of the mechanics of writing. You know, spelling grammar and vocabulary.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
nomotog said:
Zontar said:
nomotog said:
Zontar said:
JonB said:

Not that I am one.

<..>

.>
.>
Oh stop your shifty eyes. :p I stared doing fanfics again just recently and have been involved in a few Co-Op stories. (MLP if you are wondering.) Honestly writing with someone else is kind of a nice way to write. You don't have as many stuck parts because when you run out of ideas, your partner just takes over. Dialog and characters are really easy too because you can basically RP it out. (Then you want to go back and edit out any superpose dialog because rp tends to babble every now and then.) It also helps with a lot of the mechanics of writing. You know, spelling grammar and vocabulary.
I'll give you that, but because of how out-there some of my stories tend to be (works whose only relationship is they full into the "stuff I like" category which I smash together and make a narrative out of it. Currently working on an MCU/Evangelion that has other things sprinkled in because... well because I can) I tend to have a friend read it to help with errors, but do the rest on my own.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Zontar said:
JonB said:
Some have addressed it, but creating your own Storium world to use for a Fanfic would allow a collaborative, structured environment to work in with others. It'd be rad.

.>

[small]i might be doing it already in the beta[/small]

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
deserteagleeye said:
Seems interesting, but I wouldn't pay money for it.
I got a little nervous when I saw the word "subscription" too, considering what price point previous online tabletop type things have set themselves at... but $20 per year? That seems pretty reasonable to me. Of course, it depends on the end product, but it's enough for me to want to check it out when it's done.

Rangarig

Dragon in disguise
Apr 19, 2010
A lot of us are willing to shell out a lot more money per year for games that offer a lot less creative freedom.

Of course Storium is not for everyone, but for anyone who already enjoys storytelling and storytelling games, this is definitely an interesting entry. At $20 a year it costs less than half the cover price of your average storytelling game book.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zontar said:
I've seen a bunch of authors collaborate. Perhaps that's the aim?

Not that it matters to you, as you're not a fanfic writer.

Still, I have trouble seeing anything necessary that Google Docs or Dropbox couldn't do.

Rangarig said:
A lot of us are willing to shell out a lot more money per year for games that offer a lot less creative freedom.
I'm not really seeing much in the way of "creative freedom" that would justify the 20 bucks. If I'm shelling out for an RPG, I'm buying the framework. So far, I see...A card game with some "storytelling" swished in. That's nice and all, but the "creative freedom" it appears to offer is the normal gamer's fiat.

Look, I'm not saying this is a bad idea, and maybe it's not for me, but the video and the description don't seem to do a good job of selling it. The comments I've seen here and elsewhere seem to back that up. A Kickstarter campaign should be able to pitch the idea.

And honestly, since "the worlds" appear to cost money, and the KS even says so, you're paying 20 bucks on top of unnamed prices for the actual environments. At this point, saying "you pay more on X" seems more like rationalisation.

Rangarig

Dragon in disguise
Apr 19, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not really seeing much in the way of "creative freedom" that would justify the 20 bucks. If I'm shelling out for an RPG, I'm buying the framework. So far, I see...A card game with some "storytelling" swished in. That's nice and all, but the "creative freedom" it appears to offer is the normal gamer's fiat.

Look, I'm not saying this is a bad idea, and maybe it's not for me, but the video and the description don't seem to do a good job of selling it. The comments I've seen here and elsewhere seem to back that up. A Kickstarter campaign should be able to pitch the idea.

And honestly, since "the worlds" appear to cost money, and the KS even says so, you're paying 20 bucks on top of unnamed prices for the actual environments. At this point, saying "you pay more on X" seems more like rationalisation.
You are right with your criticism. I had to do quite a bit of digging to answer a number of questions for myself. And yes, the Kickstarter video could do a much better job in selling this project.

I do still believe that the game/service has merit however. Unless it is strongly misrepresented, the game/service comes with a basic set of standard 'worlds'. In a sense, I would find the term 'setting' more accurate, since these worlds are defined by different themes, or because they are based on a particular series of books, etc.

On top of the standard worlds (cyberpunk, fantasy, space adventure, etc.), the kickstarter is advertising additional worlds from various authors as stretch goals. After release, users of the game/service will be able to create their own worlds and make these available to other players. I believe this is where the additional pricing is involved, similar to in-app purchases on many mobile titles, unless you are a higher tier Kickstarter donor. But yes, that all does seem a little hazy at this point.

Each world contains cards that describe locations, characters, situations, and also background information and narrative help similar to what you might find in an pre-written adventure for a pen & paper RPG, or in storytelling games like "Fiasco". It is a lot more than just a stylistic framework.

Of course you can do collaborative writing and storytelling using other tools, and I have done that myself, but most actual storytelling games offering settings and rules will cost you the price of at least a basic rulebook. So far the rationalisation and basis for comparison.

Also, unless this is to change after release, only the storyteller needs a subscription to host the game. Player access is free.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I like some of the ideas in place here, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it, but I personally don't feel compelled at all to get in on the ground floor of this. Once it's out the door and in the wild, I may look into it further though.