8 Heroes in Comics That Celebrate Cinco de Mayo

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Heroes in Comics That Celebrate Cinco de Mayo

Today we give you eight Hispanic comic book heroes to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. So sit back and take a enjoy a gallery of some of the greatest heroes the comics have to offer when it comes to heroes of Hispanic descent.

Read Full Article

Dr Muerte

Jul 11, 2010
5 de mayo is a minor celebration only in México, half of the listed here aren't even mexican

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Dr Muerte said:
5 de mayo is a minor celebration only in México, half of the listed here aren't even mexican
Fine I didn't want to celebrate your holiday anyway.
Gosh. :p

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Dr Muerte said:
Yeah, seriously. Declaring "5 SUPERHEROES WHO CELEBRATE CINCO DE MAYO" and featuring a Brazilian is like saying "5 SUPERHEROES WHO CELEBRATE SAINT PATRICK'S DAY" and putting in Batroc the Leaper.

I mean...yeah, if he was in a Bennigan's in New Jersey, he probably would. But so would literally anyone else.

Also, and while this isn't THE most uncomfortable part of today's feature, it's worth mentioning that Brazilians aren't really Hispanic. Brazil was settled by the Portuguese, not the Spanish. I can't speak for how Brazilians prefer to be identified, but it's technically incorrect.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Some of these origin stories really need to be worked on.
product of experiments by the mad gynecologist
Really now? That and shark girl? Your making me feel like this hangover isn't worth it. Some of us are trying to turn Cinco De Mayo into the Mexican St.Patricks day.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, May 5th is the celebration of the Mexican army's victory of the the French in Puebla. It is not a huge holiday but I suspect it is celebrated in the US mostly because anglophones are able say "cinco de mayo" and not "dieciseis de septiembre" which is Independence day.

Having said that, May 5th is taking on a new context which is celebrating Latin culture in the us, not just Hispanic. There are parties and drinking and decorations, etc. Similar to St Patrick's, mentioned above. So don't be so fussy when someone hands you an excuse to celebrate something.

On the other hand, you have to be very careful not to call anything south of Texas "Mexico". And not to confuse any Latin person with a Mexican. That is plain racist.