Game of Thrones Season 4 Ep 5 "First of His Name" Review - Female Power

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Game of Thrones Season 4 Ep 5 "First of His Name" Review - Female Power

Women are taking over in Game of Thrones and I?m super happy about it.

Read Full Article

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I like to think that the reason Cersi is saying she's okay with the thought of Margaery marrying Tommen is to get back at Tywin from last episode. I mean, he pretty much told her to she was useless when he started to instruct Tommen. I think she's going to use Margaery as a wedge to get Tywin to be a non-factor as the King's Hand, but maybe I'm reading into it too much.

I also think Littlefinger is going to get rid of Lysa and Robin and take over the Vale considering that would be a place that would fit him the best, and not King's Landing.

I really liked this episode a lot more than I did with the previous one, and that might be because of some really good character development and political intrigue. Can't wait for the next episode though.

It's too far away! D:

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Women are taking over in Game of Thrones and I?m super happy about it.
As a reader of the books, i must remind you that nobody gets a happy ending.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
LifeCharacter said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I also think Littlefinger is going to get rid of Lysa and Robin and take over the Vale considering that would be a place that would fit him the best, and not King's Landing.
I'm going to agree with this; Littlefinger doesn't seem like the type of person who'd let a little kid take over from him in a few years. Now that he's married into the family and is acting lord of the Vale, he can get rid of them and then marry Sansa, the only Stark believed to be alive, giving him control over the North as well.

And, while that might cause some tension with the Lannisters, he spent a good amount of time explaining how the Vale is pretty much impossible to attack... without dragons at least.
I'm reminded of the line that Lysa told Sansa where, and I'm paraphrasing here, that Littlefinger likes Sansa and she should use that against him.

So, if that were to happen and Sansa married Littlefinger, what better teacher for learning political craftiness and manipulation than from him? She has been coming a little more savvy as time went on, and I think she could make Littlefinger regret messing with her in the long run. All assuming that the Lannisters don't go after them, but that would raise an interesting little development if Sansa took over the Vale with Tyrion still around.

Hmm....

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Small correction: it's Lysa Arryn née Tully not Lysa Tully née Arryn.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
LifeCharacter said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I'm going to agree with this; Littlefinger doesn't seem like the type of person who'd let a little kid take over from him in a few years. Now that he's married into the family and is acting lord of the Vale, he can get rid of them and then marry Sansa, the only Stark believed to be alive, giving him control over the North as well.

And, while that might cause some tension with the Lannisters, he spent a good amount of time explaining how the Vale is pretty much impossible to attack... without dragons at least.
I'm reminded of the line that Lysa told Sansa where, and I'm paraphrasing here, that Littlefinger likes Sansa and she should use that against him.

So, if that were to happen and Sansa married Littlefinger, what better teacher for learning political craftiness and manipulation than from him? She has been coming a little more savvy as time went on, and I think she could make Littlefinger regret messing with her in the long run. All assuming that the Lannisters don't go after them, but that would raise an interesting little development if Sansa took over the Vale with Tyrion still around.

Hmm....
Without dropping any real spoilers Sansa does start to learn a lot from Littlefinger in the novels, it has no real impact on any plotlines so far but he directly teaches her the fundamentals of politics and how to exercise power and manipulation. The best way to think of it is if Arya is learning how tough life as a fighter and vagabond can be and how to survive Sansa is learning how tough court life can be and how to survive (and thrive), so far the series is doing the same in a slightly different way.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
J Tyran said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
LifeCharacter said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Hmm....
Without dropping any real spoilers Sansa does start to learn a lot from Littlefinger in the novels, it has no real impact on any plotlines so far but he directly teaches her the fundamentals of politics and how to exercise power and manipulation. The best way to think of it is if Arya is learning how tough life as a fighter and vagabond can be and how to survive Sansa is learning how tough court life can be and how to survive (and thrive), so far the series is doing the same in a slightly different way.
Really?

Ya know, I've been wondering about that ever since Sansa was stuck in King's Landing and was knee deep in all the shenanigans that went down there. Would make sense since she wasn't very quick and too innocent to really notice the backdoor stuff that went on.

I'm kinda glad that's happening with her character since I wasn't a fan of her in the beginning, but she's warming up to me now like Jamie is with last season.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm guessing it was maybe just a turn of phrase in playing up Cersei's cattiness, but it stood out to me that she's called out as being "the blonde cougar" in an article that purports to praise the empowerment of women in this episode.

Anyway, I actually liked that Bran made the conscious choice not to call out to Snow outside of Crasters. We didn't really need another moment of Jon choosing his Brothers over his family, and it was nice moment of development for Bran. It was nice to see him actually accepting his quest instead of just being dragged along or pushed away. I do agree that a nice counterpoint to that would have been to see a moment of reunion between Ghost and Summer. Oh, and yeah, the fight at Crasters did seem to drag on far more than a stealth attack on preoccupied drunks should have implied. I'm guessing it was done that way to allow for the one on one duel but it did come across rather awkwardly.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
LifeCharacter said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Hmm....
Well, at this point the only person who seems like they could really hurt rich, conniving Littlefinger is Sansa. Lysa's crazy, Robyn's a dumb kid, and everyone else save Dany would face a massacre trying to invade the Vale. Short of turning one of his servants/vassals or a Faceless Man, there's not much anyone but Sansa can do. So if Sansa gets more savvy, she's pretty much Littlefinger's biggest threat, and wouldn't that be a nice surprise of an ending: Sansa winning the game by being Littlefinger, but better.
That would be pretty awesome to see, and I would love for something to blow up in Littlefinger's face. Not that I don't like his character, but he's been getting off scot free for a pretty long tim. So for him to teach Sansa how to be savvy and for that to be his undoing would be glorious to see.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Greg Tito said:
My one question is how the heck did Locke know he was going to find Bran Stark here on this expedition? Was it just dumb luck?
Wasn't there a moment in the last episode where Locke overheard Sam and Jon guessing that Bran's most likely route beyond the wall would take him past Craster's Keep?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The Lannisters being broke is definitely a new element in the show. Of course this also illustrates why Tywin is getting increasingly more aggressive with his attempts to solidify his family's legacy. With no money the Lannisters have nothing special as the Westerlands aren't the most populous or the most fertile.

As for the Keep, makes me wonder who died the WORST in that exchange. I'm gonna go with Fatass Rast since he was eaten by Ghost who probably took his sweet time with the fat bastard

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I must admit I chuckled when the Danaerys bit essentially amounted to "We could go and enter the actual plot, but they're not really ready for that so I guess I'll stick around here for a while."

Agree on the Keep battle. It seems like Jon alone killed about 5 of them and took 20 minutes doing it. As for Bran taking over Hodor, he's only done it in a time of absolute necessity before so I think it's safe to assume it's incredibly difficult and draining, which explains the last-second execution and letting Hodor be Hodor as soon as it was practical. Also, he wouldn't have wanted to risk freeing Hodor while there were guards around in case they caught on to what he could do, or killed Hodor. During the battle and with Locke's back turned was the best time. Can't imagine why Rast would go to the wolf cage though, he feeds Ghost, he knows where it is. Got what he deserved though.

For the Vale, seems to me a pretty likely conclusion that Lysa and Robyn are both going to be dead or indisposed as soon as it's practical for Littlefinger. He's basically running that show.

It's good to see the character development though, you captured Margery and Cersei's exchange pretty well.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
LifeCharacter said:
So if Sansa gets more savvy, she's pretty much Littlefinger's biggest threat, and wouldn't that be a nice surprise of an ending: Sansa winning the game by being Littlefinger, but better.
That would be pretty awesome to see, and I would love for something to blow up in Littlefinger's face. Not that I don't like his character, but he's been getting off scot free for a pretty long tim. So for him to teach Sansa how to be savvy and for that to be his undoing would be glorious to see.
Would be nice for Sansa to do something for once, and that brand of plotting seems one of the only avenues available to her at this point.

StriderShinryu said:
I'm guessing it was maybe just a turn of phrase in playing up Cersei's cattiness, but it stood out to me that she's called out as being "the blonde cougar" in an article that purports to praise the empowerment of women in this episode.
I was more put off by the Podric's other talents joke.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I only get to see two more episodes this season before I leave for bootcamp... Why no TV during basic?

This episode made me start to wonder if Robin Arryn, who is either acted or exploited perfectly (I can't tell), is Littlefinger's bastard. Can't wait for the Bravos sets to make their appearance and am really curious if Arya will make it there before the season's end... that said I'll have to wait till at least August to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
newwiseman said:
I only get to see two more episodes this season before I leave for bootcamp... Why no TV during basic?

This episode made me start to wonder if Robin Arryn, who is either acted or exploited perfectly (I can't tell), is Littlefinger's bastard. Can't wait for the Bravos sets to make their appearance and am really curious if Arya will make it there before the season's end... that said I'll have to wait till at least August to see how the rest of the season plays out.
I think in some promotional material they have CG shots of the Titan of Braavos, so assuming it's not somehow related to the Daenerys or Iron Bank arcs, I think so, yeah.

I'm enjoying how they're starting to branch just a little from the books, not just with conversations that could have happened like they've been doing through the whole series, but conversations that didn't happen, characters making ever-so-slightly different moves. Cersei's actions here are different from what I recall in the books, her apparent acceptance of Tommen and Margaery is a different move, and I smell deception on Cersei's part there, but it's so NICE and refreshing to be using my head again, to suspect a thing but not to know it, and I'm looking forwards to more of that as things continue. Some people will voice concern about departing from canon and original intent, but I don't have a problem with the details changing so long as the broader path of things remains the same, and the writing and plot remain stellar.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
LifeCharacter said:
So if Sansa gets more savvy, she's pretty much Littlefinger's biggest threat, and wouldn't that be a nice surprise of an ending: Sansa winning the game by being Littlefinger, but better.
Would be nice for Sansa to do something for once, and that brand of plotting seems one of the only avenues available to her at this point.
I have to agree.

I mean, she really hasn't done much, but I think she has some real subtle character development. I remember her being this snotty kid that wanted nothing more than to marry Joffrey, but now she knows better and does see some things, all be it after the fact.

If she can learn a thing or two from Littlefinger then act upon it then I would be one happy camper. At this point, I think we're just gonna see more development, and will probably see that for a while. At this point in time, I just wanna see where her character goes and I hope I'm close to what I think will happen. Otherwise she's just a character that we pan to every so often to remind ourselves that there are a few Starks left. :/

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
As is with a lot of GoT episodes, the big action payoff was at the end, with political intrigue to push the plot along in the first and second acts. This episode did not disappoint. Snow has Ghost back, who has just eaten a fatty, and Hodor HODOR puny Locke. My one complaint is that Needle is just too small a weapon and a proper waterdance needs a proper longsword. But yea, Podrick has 99 skills and cooking rabbit ain't one.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I have to say i was dissapointed. I was hoping for some coldhands action at crasters but we never got it.
I even thought it was there when rast was running around outside and then all the ravens sounded, but it was just boring old ghost.