The Stomping Land Trailer: Everybody Walk the Dinosaur

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
The Stomping Land Trailer: Everybody Walk the Dinosaur

The Stomping Land is a dangerous place, but it's a lot less scary from the back of a friendly dino.

It's hunt or be hunted in The Stomping Land, the prehistoric survival game that made its debut on Kickstarter last year [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/524168447/the-stomping-land]. Granted, most survival games involve an awful lot of hunting, but a new pre-launch trailer from the developers gives us a glimpse of just how competitive life in the wilderness can be. Even the mighty tyrannosaurus can be tricked or outmaneuvered, but the true threat to you and your tribe will be the other humans.

The multiplayer components of The Stomping Land are shaping up to be much like Rust, with more of an emphasis on working together with your tribe. Then there's the fact that most of the wildlife is big enough to swallow you whole, adding a Monster Hunter vibe to your resource collection. The dinosaurs aren't just meat waiting to be poached, though - with enough determination, you can tame the beasts and mount up to get an edge on the other tribes.

In fact, it seems like taming a dino of your own isn't just useful - it's a necessity of survival. Unlike most games, your character in The Stomping Land doesn't have a magic inventory capable of storing hundreds of resources. You have your two hands and a couple slots for equipment, so catching a pack mule [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig6_1ORC77M&hd=1] (or pack Gallimimus, as it were) will be a high priority.

The Stomping Land won't be finished anytime soon, but Early Access will be available shortly for those who can't wait to tame the wilds. Kickstarter backers will get Steam codes on May 23, while everyone else can buy a ticket to prehistory on May 30 for $25.

Source: The Stomping Land [http://www.thestompingland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1068]

Jan 12, 2012
Finally; I've been waiting since I was approximately 5 years old for a game that would let me ride a dinosaur.

Side question about the game: How do tribes work? Is it a permanent thing, like a WoW guild, or temporary for the server/time that you're on? If it's temporary, it's easier to drop in and play, but it might discourage people from building anything more than the basics; if it's permanent, I can see a couple of guilds dominating a server with their structures and vast herds. I can't find a clear answer on the Stomping Land forums, though it looks like it's a permanent thing.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
It looks pretty damn amazing. I'll see what the rest of my "tribe" thinks and then we'll probably throw all our money at it.

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
Dude, I get to RIDE A DINOSAUR?! I'M SO FREAKING SOLD!!

I seriously don't remember being this excited for a game since Skyrim.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
An open world game with realistically portrayed dinosaurs? Oh my god, this looks like THE game I've been waiting for like, all my life.

Also, I didn't see a Tyrannosaurus in that trailers, just some Carnotaurus.

Bke

May 13, 2013
bigfatcarp93 said:
An open world game with realistically portrayed dinosaurs?
As Objectable said, no feathers means no realisim. Also the Puertasaurus' neck is all wrong, these things weren't swans. Even so this game looks awesome

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Bke said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
As Objectable said, no feathers means no realisim. Also the Puertasaurus' neck is all wrong, these things weren't swans. Even so this game looks awesome
Not to mention that we have barely any clue what the meaty bits really looked like. Lobes, fat, flabs, all kinds of weird protrusions and whatnot, not to mention their colours. Dinosaurs could look like nothing we could ever imagine. And that actually quite excites me.

Still, let's not rain on this game's parade. They may have chosen for a more classical portrayal of dinosaurs, but I still won't say no against being able to ride a freakin' dinosaur into battle. I'd say this has potential. Needs a lot of work though judging from that trailer.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Bke said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
All true... but this is still a lot closer then we've ever been. Come on, admit it. I mean, this is the first game which seems to want to treat them like animals: putting them in an open world and leaving them to their own devices, rather then just using them as attack dogs for the player to kill in droves.

And besides, what species in this trailer was supposed to have feathers? The only theropod I saw was Carnotaurus, and I don't believe it's ever been proven that Abelisaurs had plumage. The Ornithiscians? Forgive me if I'm not fully convinced by the discovery of one aberrant Heterodontosaur.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Soooo... DayZ with dinosaurs?
Pretty much what I'm seeing, all it needs now is tribes instead of bandits and instead of getting shanked for a can of beans you'd get shanked for a chunk of meat, instead of being told to drink bleach you'll be told to get stepped on by a dino or jump off a cliff.