Mo-Cap Photos of Canceled Mortal Kombat Project Posted Online

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mo-Cap Photos of Canceled Mortal Kombat Project Posted Online

Behind-the-scenes photos of a canceled Mortal Kombat title have been posted on the website of a makeup artist who worked on the project.

So many Mortal Kombat games have come and gone over the years that I don't even bother trying to keep them straight anymore, but apparently Midway had an HD remake of the game underway that would have featured all-new motion capture of each fighter in the game. Alas, it was not to be, as the whole thing was canceled shortly after Midway was acquired by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Mortal Kombat HD may never be, but at least we can get a bit of a sideways look at what might have been thanks to Tanea Brooks, a Hollywood-based makeup artist who worked on the project. She's released more than two dozen photos taken from a motion capture session, including shots of actors in action poses as well as more relaxed portraits and even some comparison shots with the original in-game characters. Not every character appears, but the ones who do look awfully good.

[gallery=2451]

It's not really related to the gallery but Kiefer Sutherland recently taneabrooks.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132432-Actor-Kiefer-Sutherland-Confirms-Involvement-in-New-Mortal-Kombat-Game].

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
That's a really -really- appropriate looking Liu Kang, daaaayyyym.

Cool to see these though, especially since it's for 2D fighters.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
nice pics indeed. kitana is good looking.
but everyone else did a good job by capturing the character.

Brennan

Mar 21, 2014
Costumes look very fake/cheap and cosplay-ish, but if they're aiming for a nostalgia-based recreation of the original arcade game(s), I can see how that makes sense.

Capcha: "donkey's years"
It really has been that long since the original, hasn't it? I suppose in gaming pop culture this sort of work now counts as a "period piece".

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Yes... that's what happened... the creative team certainly didn't just have some custom-made costumes that they needed to justify to accounting... sure...

evilnancyreagan

May 1, 2014
Makes me think of MKII, that game was dripping with atmosphere. Possibly one of the most successfully done sequels of all time.