Box-Office Analysts: Zac Efron Poised to Defeat Spider-Man

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Box-Office Analysts: Zac Efron Poised to Defeat Spider-Man

Will weak word of mouth spell doom for Sony's Summer?

Well, this is unexpected.

Hollywood studios produce enough big action movies throughout the year to have a brand new one open every single week of Summer with plenty left over, so why don't they? Because if a blockbuster has "legs" (industry speak for "makes big money for a long stretch of time") it could gobble up the potential ticket sales of the following week's big movie, and nobody likes to open in second place. That's why no major new action or family movies (Summer's two biggest genres) are opening this week, because everyone had assumed that Sony's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 would be a major hit and spend at least two weeks in first place, with Godzilla expected to blow everything else off the screen on May 16th.

But now, with TASM2 opening softer than most had projected (it failed to out-earn Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which many including Sony were citing as a reliable measure,) mediocre reviews from critics (now reports [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_amazing_spider_man_2/] that the first "stunner" of Summer 2014 could very likely be Spidey losing his top spot after only one week... to a raunchy comedy starring Seth Rogen and High School Musical's Zac Efron.

The math goes like this: The Rogen/Efron vehicle, Neighbors, [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzZgJZMXNEc] - in which a young suburban family gets into a prank war with a rowdy college fraternity that moves in next door - has been tracking to open with as much as $40 millon, a huge number for a non-PG13 comedy in May. TASM2, on the other hand, has what The Wrap calls "a distinct possibility" of taking a 60% plunge off it's $91 million first weekend. If both come to pass, Neighbors would take first place.

While this outcome is by no means certain, it would be a major feather in the cap for Universal Pictures - "beating" a Marvel superhero with an R-rated comedy is the box-office equipment of taking down an elephant with a pellet gun: Difficult, but not impossible. It would also be the latest in a string of black-eyes for Sony, which saw a mini-revolt among shareholders last Summer when both After Earth and White House Down failed to perform.

Source: The Wrap [http://www.thewrap.com/neighbors-poised-to-shock-amazing-spider-man-2-at-box-office]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
... Why do I have the image that you wrote this actical with a massive grin?

Ultimateslayer

Sep 21, 2008
You really need to cool it on the "Amazing Spidey 2 will fail" thing. Comparing a tentpole release with an R-Rated Movie, that isn't even released on the same week is utter nonsense. Especially since there aren't even real numbers in yet. Just a suggestion: Wait for results and maybe look for a more useful comparison like... I don't know... the first Amazing Spiderman, not a random Zac Efron vehicle.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
MovieBob said:
For what it's worth Bob, it appears TASM2 is the movie that broke Film Critic Hulk as well. He just wrote an essay comprising of 237 burning questions about the most 'insidious, horrible storytelling ever.'

I... just might watch this movie.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
RA92 said:
I... just might watch this movie.
You'd better spend the money NOT watching TASM2, and getting a ticket for that Zac Efron movie mentioned above.

You don't have to even watch it, just buy the ticket and go somewhere completely unrelated.
You'd be contributing to a Zac Efron movie opening stronger than a Spider-Man movie.
Which I repeat, is money better spent.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
40 Million is a pretty high estimate for Neighbors. Not impossible because you have those occasionally good R rated comedies that open with 50 Million like Ted, and neighbors isn't getting a lot of negative reviews. Heck even Ted only got a 68% and 6.4. I'm sure neighbors will go down from where it's at now but it's at 89% and 7.1 so maybe it'll do it. But I don't think anyone knows what makes R rated comedies work and not work so even going off of reviews is hard to say.

If Hollywood is so gun shy about coming in second who's fault is it that Cap 3 and Batman/Superman open on the same weekend?

I'm pretty sure you can only take down an elephant with a pellet gun if you hit it in the eye, or modify the pellet gun to the point where it is no longer a pellet gun.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I just want to go on record to say that The Winter Soldier was awesome and people should go see it.

(In other words, I really don't see much in the current Spidey.)

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Sony has bigger issues than this.

Also PR was at least unique. Spider-man *is* suffering from the fact that.. this shit isn't new anymore infact its kinda weird how much this movie is composed of parts of other movies and media. I loved it and would recommend it. but steel yourself that this is a fun teen romance adventure with a great spider-man. If you want... something else I can't fault it.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Oh man I'd live to see this tank, if your just making movies for cynical solely profit based motives then your movie deserves every bit of 'meh' that it deserves. This Amazing Spider-Man should've been called The somewhat passable Spider-Man that for all intents and purposes is weaker than the original, but that's a tad long so I can understand why they went for something shorter, if a tad misleading.

On the other hand I'm happy to see Zac Efron slowly discard the Disney buggery that seems to drive all kids stars ban-ay-nays (Miley Cyrus, etc), but if he either a) sings or b) plays basketball, I'm walking out of the cinema.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I've always been wary of Hollywood math when it comes to predicting what will hit big and what will flop. Mostly because some of the logic behind making "guaranteed" winners tends to have some components of ignorant speculation and ass-covering BS tactics (anyone remember Battleship?). Also, the fact that studios tend to fudge the numbers as to how much they actually spent to make/promote a movie doesn't really help their cause. I've always seen the box office weekend more as a crap shoot. You can have all the good fortune and statistics with you, it doesn't mean your lucky number is gonna come up as planned. But that's how I see it.

However, if Neighbors beats out ASM2 this weekend, I will gladly buy you a drink to celebrate, Mr. Chipman.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Yep Amazing Spiderman 2 totally bombed! it's opening weekend was down 3.6% on 'the Winter Soldier'.

/s

It's funny when Pacific Rim bombed in the USA Bob went on and on about it didn't matter because of international gross but with a film he doesn't like only possibly number 1 for 1 week DOOM!

Just looked them up on Box office Mojo

UK

Winter soldier
released 26/03/2014
$31,055,683 as of 04/05/2014

Amazing Spiderman 2
released 18/04/2014
$33,222,668 as of 04/05/2014

Other countries ASM2 is beating WS even with a shorter release time

Ukraine
Uruguay
Turkey
Sweden
Slovenia
Japan
Israel
Italy
Austria
Croatia
My thoughts exactly. His constant Sony Pictures bashing is also getting on my nerves. He's acting as if every movie they make is a huge flop when in reality they posted a solid profit last quarter.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
I've already seen Neighbors, It's OK for some chuckles but all the funniest scenes are literally already in the trailer (either that or many clips in the trailers and commercials NEVER even appear in the movie) There is quite a remarkable scene involving Rose Byrne's character that I won't spoil. Over all This Is The End was far funnier by a mile.

I think what the film may have going for it is Zac Efron. He'll probably pull in the female viewers. Still, if this film does beat out ASM2 I can't see it beating it by much.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
FalloutJack said:
I just want to go on record to say that The Winter Soldier was awesome and people should go see it.

(In other words, I really don't see much in the current Spidey.)
Supported!

I gotta say, Cap is one of my least favorite super-heroes on account on him being just a duller version of superman with less powers. Even so, both his movies have been enjoyable, with the second one winning out on sheer awesomeness.

OT: The more bad press and bad stuff that happens to TASM2 the better. I really hate this version of spidey, and while I'm not a massive Tobey-fan...his version was a LOT more watchable than Garfield. Honestly Garfield just reminds me of %#¤&% Hayden Christensen. And I hate Hayden Christensen with the passion of a thousand suns.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Neighbors. It looks funny, the reviews aren't bad at this point, and I have been in the mood for "haha, laugh out loud" film for a while. It's probably why I have been spending my Friday nights watching standup comedy specials. With Amazing Spidey 2, I'll probably just wait for the Red Box release.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I'll just say, in the battle between Neighbors and TASM2...

... Go see The Winter Soldier instead. Or see it twice/three times.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Firstly, it's just a little bit egotistical to expect the same numbers as a MCU movie. Lets at least lower expectations to Avatar money. That said, Spider-Man 2 did make $92m, which is only a hair off the Winter Soldier mark. I myself haven't been to see it, but only because I restrict my theater movie consumption to 1 a month, so I'm waiting for DoFP instead. I cannot comment on the movie itself, some reviewers say it's good, Bob hates it because it strays too far from the golden age gawky nerd version that Toby portrayed so very well. This disregards the latest incarnation of Parker, who when not possessed by Doc Ock, looks like this:

Notice any similarities?
Personally, I've given up on hoping the full MCU might one day unite with the fantastic, the mutant, and the arachnid. They all have their separate cinematic universes and I'm cool with that. I don't see a rated R comedy beating out any modern day superhero flick. In fact, I fully expect it to drop under Cap 2 in the theaters still showing it. Plus I'm simply not a fan of the current batch of comedians running amok in the movies this last half-decade. They're just....not funny to me.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
What's wrong, did this movie have too much meaningful story with subtle emotion and not enough of the obvious silly gags that the Marvel Cinematic Universe relies on?

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Seriously, I haven't seen this one yet, but that's the only guess I have; Marvel fans seem to like one specific type of writing, one that Disney has figured out how to produce consistently, and even if this movie turns out not to be great, it's at least nice to see something that doesn't feel like more of the same.