Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Announced - Update

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Announced - Update

<youtube=ywGSON9tNq0>​
Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are a "fresh take" on the original Game Boy Advance titles.

Update: Nintendo president Satoru Iwata clarified in a financial results briefing [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508/index.html] that Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are "full remakes," meaning the pair of games will not be a spin-off or a sequel to the original Ruby and Sapphire.

Original story:

Nintendo announced today the 3DS titles Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, set to launch in November worldwide. They are remakes of the Game Boy Advance titles Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire. While the new titles are remakes, Nintendo stated they are a "fresh take" on Ruby and Sapphire.

Ruby and Sapphire are set in the Hoenn region where two crime syndicates are trying to use Pokemon to change Hoenn's climate to either increase landmass or water levels. The starter Pokemon include Torchic, Mudkip, and Treecko, and the legendary Pokemon are Groudon and Kyogre. Ruby and Sapphire were the two games in the series to introduce double battles.

What Nintendo will add to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is unknown at this point, but the artwork of legendary Pokemon Groudon and Kyogre on the box art for the 3DS titles differs enough from the original artwork to make it look like they could be Mega Evolutions, a system Pokemon X and Y introduced.

Nintendo has remade past Pokemon games twice before: Blue and Red were remade to FireRed and LeafGreen and then Gold and Silver were remade to HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Source: Pokemon Company [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywGSON9tNq0&feature=youtu.be]

Shalok

May 28, 2012
I played the hell out of Pokemon Emerald so i'll remain cautiously optimistic about these

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Things Nintendo considered saying but didn't:

"Yeah, we know what everybody really wants is a game that lets you explore all the regions in one game, but that sounds like too much effort."

"Features still not included: Multiple save files. Features still intentionally omitted: The ability to use the 3DS's built in backup save file feature to create multiple save files. Features definitely included: Intentionally breaking saves if you try to use multiple memory cards with a digital copy to dodge the one-save-file restriction/"

"Why yes, we are still clinging to the pointless 'two versions of the same game' thing. Isn't rolling around in piles of money fun?"

Not that it matters a ton. Pokémon is Pokémon is Pokémon. It'll do well because it does well and the core gameplay still all works. Hopefully we'll see at least a handful of changes that have been long requested like more content in the endgame besides grinding whatever the Battle Tower is called this year.

I really enjoyed the Looker sidequest set from the post-game of X/Y. If they took queues from that to add more story-based things beyond the usual "go from town to town punching people and taking their money with the end goal of punching all the Gym Leaders" that would be cool.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well that's one way to get people to forget about the bad financial results you also released today, Nintendo.

Still, I know I'll buy this. Kyogre :D

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Hurrah for more cool underwater sections and sunken ships! I'm a little put off by terms like "fresh take" and "epic new" but I can only see this is a good thing.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Aww yiss!

I loved the 3rd gen games as a kid, and I've really liked their older gen remakes so far (Soul Silver is the bomb). Hopefully this game lives up to that!

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Falterfire said:
"Why yes, we are still clinging to the pointless 'two versions of the same game' thing. Isn't rolling around in piles of money fun?"
While I tend to agree with most of your points, I have to say the dual game thing is something I've always loved. Encouraging the social aspect that makes the games so much fun and is at heart what they were created for in the first place.

And very very few people will buy both versions. We're talking fans so hardcore they buy a load of merch anyway. THAT's where they really rake in the extra money.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Is it really going to be a 'fresh take' on the games or just 'updated visually'? I'd consider a 'fresh take' as doing something new, like giving people a choice in how the story unfolds (join the bad guys for instance) or to just give the finger to the plot and go on your own adventure whilst roaming freely.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
It's about damn time they remade the 3rd gen games. Personally my favorite gen in the series. Sooooooo much nostalgia.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Epic "new" adventure, eh? And then you show the box of a remake, eh?
I don't think that word means what they think it means.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
I wonder if they're just doing Ruby and Sapphire or going to do another Red and Blue remake as well?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Cool, I was a huge fan of the Third Generation and am interested to see how this goes. This does go a long way to helping Nintendo's financial woes right now though I'm not sure announcing a 3DS game when your Wii U console is floundering a great idea. Also, Nintendo, please release another Pokemon Colosseum game for the Wii U, please? It might just shut up the people wanting a more story driven Pokemon game and help with Wii U sales.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Though Gen II was probably my favorite overall since you were able to visit two regions, Hoenn is still probably my favorite single region.

Still its hard to want to invest in the series again when there is no end in sight.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Wow, this came out of nowhere, we're far enough into the year I assumed lack of announcement meant we wouldn't get a game this year. These were the first Pokemon games I ever played, I literally shed a manly tear of joy when I saw this newspost, can't wait!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This is exciting. I can't wait to get lost and confused around the overpass area again. Seriously, the map in this game caused me crazy trouble, and as far as I can tell, only me.

P.S. Thanks

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Well, I'm pretty excited for this! While Gen II will always be my favourite, I actually really liked Gen III a lot.

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
I'm curious what will be the name of the 4th generation reboot. Cause it seems to me that they are running out of options. Colors, metals, gemstones, more colors, more metals and gemstones, heart and soul + metals, even more colors, even more colors but with innovative mechanic of numbers, letters and now back to gemstones but with other letters. Guess soon we'll get Pokemon C-nickel-blood-opal-brown, or something like that.

On topic - I'm happy that they are making Hoenn reboot. But I would rather prefer Nintendo to find word "new" in the dictionary and find what it means. And after that go for "improvements" in the same dictionary.