Elder Scrolls Online Console Version Delayed Six Months - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Elder Scrolls Online Console Version Delayed Six Months - Update

PC players who play The Elder Scrolls Online by the end of June will have the opportunity to transfer their characters to either console version when they are released.

Update: A Bethesda representative has confirmed the six month delay with the following official response:

We've been grateful to our fans for the wonderful response to our recent launch of The Elder Scrolls Online for PC/Mac, but we know many of you are eagerly waiting to play the game on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

We continue to work on the console versions of ESO, and game development has been progressing steadily, but we are still working to solve a series of unique problems specific to those platforms. Integrating our systems with each console manufacturer's networks -- which are both different from the PC/Mac system as well as different from each other-has been a challenging process. It has become clear that our planned June release of the console versions isn't going to be possible. Though we have made great progress, we have concluded that we'll need about six months to ensure we deliver the experience our fans expect and deserve.

We know that the news of an ESO console delay is as disappointing to many of you as it is to us. We want to do what we can to make it up to our fans who want to start playing now, so we have worked out the following arrangement with Sony and Microsoft:

Via a special offer, anyone who purchases and plays the PC/Mac version of The Elder Scrolls Online by the end of June will have the opportunity to transfer their character(s) to either console version when they are released. The offer will allow you to begin playing immediately on the PC/Mac, and then add the PS4 or Xbox One version and transfer the character(s) you have created and developed. And, you don't have to pay full price for the game twice. For $20, eligible PC and Mac players will have the option to add a full, digital version of ESO on either the PS4 or the Xbox One with your character transfer(s), and another 30 days of included game time.

Whether you decide to take advantage of this offer or not, we promise to do everything we can to get the game released on both consoles as quickly as we can. We will keep everyone updated with additional details regarding character transfers, specific offer dates, when you can expect console beta to start, and of course, when ESO on consoles will launch.

Thank you for your patience and loyal support.

Original Story: While The Elder Scrolls Online was released on PC last month, console gamers have still been patiently waiting to get their hands on Bethesda's new MMO. According to some info on the game's official F.A.Q, they may be waiting for a whole six months longer. The line about the delay contained a broken link to a blog post promising more detail about the delay, and has since been removed all together from the website, leading us to believe someone at Bethesda flipped a switch too early.

"The Elder Scrolls Online officially launched on April 4, 2014 on PC and Mac," said the F.A.Q, "While it has become clear that our planned June release of the console versions isn't going to be possible, we have made great progress, we have concluded that we'll need about six more months to ensure we deliver the experience our fans expect and deserve."

The live F.A.Q now only contains here [https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/storefaq]. According to reddit, Bethesda is deleting posts and banning people who link to the F.A.Q post about the delay on its social media.

We've reached out to Bethesda for confirmation of the delay.

Source: reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/250puq/elder_scrolls_online_for_consoles_officially/]

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
If they do this, it will seal the fate of the console version. I, myself, wont be purchasing it, if it happens that way. I accepted the 2 month advantage of PC players, but an 8 month advantage will just annoy me and ruin it. And I'm a fairly forgiving person, so I'm sure I'm not the only one.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Sleekit said:
well the PC version is basically unfinished in that it's missing two of the most famous guilds...

and yes i know that's supposedly "the plan"...but still i say "unfinished"...and it would be seen as such by many console scrolls players

The Thieves Guild and The Dark Brotherhood are both...late...and for many people/players those are kinda signature things...

martyrdrebel27 said:
If they do this, it will seal the fate of the console version. I, myself, wont be purchasing it, if it happens that way. I accepted the 2 month advantage of PC players, but an 8 month advantage will just annoy me and ruin it. And I'm a fairly forgiving person, so I'm sure I'm not the only one.
i dont understand this mentality at the best of times...but even less so with an MMO...especially one which will have separate PC/console servers...

with an MMO if you're "late to the party"...you almost always actually end up playing a better game.
because, from everything I've heard and read, this is a fairly standard mmo affair with an elder scrolls paint job, and I don't know that its going to have the longevity of WOW, so that six months is going going to be a large difference. Also, its just that jilted gamer mentality of "sorry, you had your chance" and they move onto whatever else is happening in the scene.

all this being said, for all my big talk, I'll end up still getting it possibly, depending on a number of factors, its just pretty damn annoying.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
Sleekit said:
well the PC version is basically unfinished in that it's missing two of the most famous guilds...

and yes i know that's supposedly "the plan"...but still i say "unfinished"...and it would be seen as such by many console scrolls players

The Thieves Guild and The Dark Brotherhood are both...late...and for many people/players those are kinda signature things...
Oh well thank god I didn't buy it. Is the morag tong in? So that we have at least one assassin guild?
The Morag Tong is in the game but only in a way that you do quests for people that are in the guild, and you only see three people that are Morag Tong.

I really wanted to join them on my Argonian Nightblade, but there wasn't the option given to me.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Heheh, some of these comments have caused me to think of ESO as being in "Early Access" phase.

I'm sure 6 months is all it will take the game to go f2p, just in time for consoles by remarkable coincidence no doubt.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Sleekit said:

Oh well thank god I didn't buy it. Is the morag tong in? So that we have at least one assassin guild? What about Camonna tong? That skinhead gang that sells drugs in morrowind?

I need a criminal element in my elder scrolls. An actual one that matters, like in morrowind.

Judging from what i seen of the missions, they are a mess. Its no surprise. Angry joe posted a video on this, and the "epic" in the elder scrolls was destroyed. I mean, look at the part where they set fire to the ships. at 27:20.

Embarrassing.

if ESO gets on consoles at all, I will be majorly surprised.

ESO is like the PC version of GTA V. A buggy mess with tacked on online features that only cause pain to the devs and players alike. If they stuck to single player, we wouldn't have been in this situation.
AngryJoe didn't even get to level 20, the level cap is roughly 150 (50 levels, then 10 veteran levels roughly equivalent to 10 levels each.

maybe you should try things out rather than listening to people fishing for views by doomsaying

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
martyrdrebel27 said:
Don't not buy it because PC & Mac players will have an advantage, the PS4, XB1, and PC mega servers aren't connected. Don't buy it because it's a shit game and an MMO to boot.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
AdamG3691 said:
AngryJoe didn't even get to level 20, the level cap is roughly 150 (50 levels, then 10 veteran levels roughly equivalent to 10 levels each.

maybe you should try things out rather than listening to people fishing for views by doomsaying
Adam, stop trying to use your logic to win this argument. You're wrong, we're right. You know why? Because people agree with us, we see plenty of commentators and other people whose opinions we generally agree with/align ourselves with say they dislike this and rather than actually do any checking on the quality of their opinion in this matter or even discuss the fact that trying to rate an MMO at any point in its life is just redundant. I'm perfectly happy to let Angry Joe to tell me whether I like or dislike something.

Even more so I'm entirely happy to do no research or even a cursory search to find out whether my tacked on opinion about whether they should have just stuck to single-player games has any relevance.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Is the morag tong in?
There's a couple recurring Morag Tong members in the Pact questline. You can't actually join the Tong, but you can work with them.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
008Zulu said:
Heheh, some of these comments have caused me to think of ESO as being in "Early Access" phase.

I'm sure 6 months is all it will take the game to go f2p, just in time for consoles by remarkable coincidence no doubt.
That's quite common for the beginning of the lifecycle of an MMO.

But ESO charged £50 from the start and a subscription cost on top of that, so they really shouldn't be releasing in an incomplete state.

OT: I guess all that can be hoped is that this delay is due to the need to fix a lot of ESO content and will end with a better product to reach consoles. There shouldn't be a rush need to want this on console when it was executed so badly on PC.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Well if it means that the end product will be better.
Then that's all good in my view.

Rather have it the best it could be.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Level 20 and its boring? How is someone being bored by level 20 a good mark for a game?

"guaranteed to make you regret your purchase 13.3% into the game!"
To be honest there are plenty of good games that start slow and boring but then get better by the end, although I seriously doubt an MMO is one of them.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Good, that will give console players at least six more months to forget this title ever existed, and spend their hard earned money somewhere else. Because I for one, regret spending my money is this bare-boned, minimum of a game.

Nothing about this game feels fresh or alive and I can only hope that when it finally releases on the console, enough people will have had a chance to warn about this excuse of an Elder Scroll game.

Yes, I am a little bit ticked off for spending nearly 80 euro's on this.

Platti

Nov 16, 2009
Frankly, having put so many hours into the game already, ESO could have really done with 6 more months of beta testing. As it stands it feels like I'm paying to experience a beta.