Sunset Overdrive Preview - "Tony Hawk With Guns"

andrearene

Mar 18, 2013
Sunset Overdrive Preview - "Tony Hawk With Guns"

Despite the colorful aesthetic, the language and violence in Sunset Overdrive are hugely adult-oriented.

Read Full Article

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I just hope that whoever was responsible for meddling with Fuse [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfUMw5KJ0Q] has either been fired or learned their lesson.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
It does look pretty fun, loving the art style.

I'm looking forward to getting it whenever I possibly get around to buying a Xbone.
Which will only happen after whenever I possibly get around to buying a PS4.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It really sucks that darker tones and a cover system instantly means bad, not like I want this game to be that but the idea alone of those things being bad.

I do believe that you can pick up those "terrible" aspects like cover mechanics, regenerating health and almost monotone color scheme and make a good game out of it in the same way that you can make a good game with none of those things, its all about making the game work with those things in mind and design around that.

What really tainted those things was the amount of times they were poorly used because a different game before did it so well it became popular.

More on topic though it does look like a fun game and trying to offer something a bit different.

andrearene

Mar 18, 2013
Flutterguy said:
So... do you ride skateboards and get points/speed for doing tricks or not?
There are no actual skateboards but you do get "points" in the form of the Style meter for doing special moves. You get more "points" for pulling off kills while you're moving! As your meter builds you get more powerful and your weapons become more deadly, and it also feeds into the skill tree system.

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
"Tony Hawk with Guns"

Wasn't that the same description for Total Overdose?

andrearene

Mar 18, 2013
UltraDeth said:
"Tony Hawk with Guns"

Wasn't that the same description for Total Overdose?

Wow blast from the past! Perhaps? The quote is from the Game Director, and I wouldn't have used it if I didn't agree. There are no vehicles in Sunset Overdrive. You need to rail slide, bounce, and zip line to get around.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
On the one hand we have seen bright and funny games dowsed with corporate bleach before.

On the other hand, that was EA's fault and this is Microsoft.

On the other, other hand MS made the Xbone so mind numbing stupidity is more than possible.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
josemlopes said:
It really sucks that darker tones and a cover system instantly means bad, not like I want this game to be that but the idea alone of those things being bad.

I do believe that you can pick up those "terrible" aspects like cover mechanics, regenerating health and almost monotone color scheme and make a good game out of it in the same way that you can make a good game with none of those things, its all about making the game work with those things in mind and design around that.

What really tainted those things was the amount of times they were poorly used because a different game before did it so well it became popular.

More on topic though it does look like a fun game and trying to offer something a bit different.
I don't think their acting like dark is bad, I mean they've done dark before, I just think they're a little tired of dark and wanted to add some color to it. We've seen dark apocalypse, and even the funnier ones are still mostly dark in major themes.

OT: I feel sad to see my precious Insomniac drifting away from my beloved Playstation, but this does look like fun. Hopefully either my brother doesn't move out soon, or they release a kinectless one so I'd actually be willing to own one.

SpinFusor

Jun 28, 2004
Damn, this could potentially be right up my alley. Absolutely love shooters where fast paced movement is emphasized. I love parkour/grinding game (most specifically jet-grind/set Radio), etc. Sounds like my cup o' tea...

But I'm not likely to buy an Xbone. Any hope at all for it to come to PC?

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I don't really trust Insomniac with anything multiplayer since Fuse and All 4 One. But since I don't have/want an Xbone this is all really a mute point, you dropped the ball Sony!

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
This looks decent, but I wanna see how it "feels". The controls, movement, and how the weapons feel are often kinda...meh in Insomniac games. I'm gonna wait for some reviews, and see if I can try a demo or something to see how it works.

Also, can advertisements / trailers stop constantly comparing themselves to other products in the genre? The whole "you don't need to cower behind a crate", and "so much more interesting than other third person shooters" garbage is annoying.

Tell us what's good about your game, and leave the comparisons to the users. I'm entirely capable of making those decisions myself, thanks. This whole strategy of "the opposition sucks, we rule" needs to die out. If they're confident in what they're selling, that crap is simply unnecessary.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
It looks.. decent but sounds like it may be too much of a fluff arcade style experience than something I'd personally want to spend money on. If it were in an arcade (and arcades actually still existed) I'd put a few quarters in but heavily doubt I'd buy the home version.

josemlopes said:
I have to agree with this. Sure it's no good when everything is grim and dark, but that approach alone is not inherently a bad one. I find it unfortunate that there seems to be an instant backlash right now to anything that is taking that approach even when it is thematically the right choice for the material. For example, I'd argue that a character like Batman is better when approached in that manner despite the protests otherwise.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
This looks a lot like some game I remember anticipating which got canceled or changed completely. Something colorful that looked borderlandesque in a city enviroment, with parkour.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't remember the name... or was that Overstrike/Fuse?

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Thank god that we're getting some color back into our mainstream gaming lives. That said, I think the enemies look a little bland compared to the rest of the world, but since I'm just going from screenshots that's not a firm judgment.

It looks an awful lot like a spiritual remake of Jet Set Radio Future for a modern western gaming audience. If it's half as fun as JSRF I'll be really sad I'm abstaining from consoles this generation. I hope the main character's idle animation includes dancing.