Sunset Overdrive Gets First Gameplay Trailer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sunset Overdrive Gets First Gameplay Trailer

Take a look inside the open-world carnage, unconventional weapons and high-velocity action of Sunset Overdrive.

Sunset Overdrive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/previews/11420-Sunset-Overdrive-Preview-Tony-Hawk-With-Guns] initially looked to be one of the few really stand-out Xbox One exclusives, but with Titanfall taking the spotlight in recent months (despite not technically being an exclusive...) we've heard little from the open-world zombie shooter, apart from a cool-looking CGI reveal trailer. Now, developer Insomniac Games has released the game's first gameplay trailer, to give us a bit of an idea how the game will play.

The trailer starts off by giving us the briefest possible overview of the story (some radical new energy drink caused a bunch of people to turn into zombies), before going straight in a discussion of the game's mechanics. The name of this game is velocity, as players will be able to run on walls, slide on power lines, grind rails, and basically zip around everywhere like some kind of crazy parkour assassin.

"It's a hell of a lot more fun than cowering behind a crate," says the voice over, an obvious jab at the current trend of realistic cover-based shooters.

Some of the NPC factions you can expect to encounter in Sunset Overdrive include "Troop Bushido" (boy scouts turned samurai warriors) and "The Fargarths" (LARPers who find their dream-come-true in the zombie apocalypse).

It also looks like you'll face some "special zombies" that have extra powers (such as the blower, who can blow acid at you) alongside the regular cannon fodder.

If I had to describe this game in one phrase, it would be Tony Hawk meets Left 4 Dead, and it's certainly a very refreshing, colorful change of pace from the brown and gray fare that's taken over the shooter genre.

Source: Microsoft [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This looks very good indeed!

Sorta looks like they took inFAMOUS and Jet Set Radio and smushed them together. I freaking love the colour palette, something Insomniac has always excelled at.

Well shit, I was happy not giving a crap about the Xbone, but then they have to make an awesome game for it.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Casual Shinji said:

Sorta looks like they took inFAMOUS and Jet Set Radio and smushed them together. I freaking love the colour palette, something Insomniac has always excelled at.

Well shit, I was happy not giving a crap about the Xbone, but then they have to make an awesome game for it.
I'm feeling much the same lol.

Had seen absolutely nothing yet that appealed to me enough to buy an xbox over 3 console cycle, but damn, this looks like a blast to play.

Love the early 90's look to it, and just the "fuck it lets have fun" attitude of it all.

May have to rethink an x1 purchase eventually. This would be a change of pace after 400 hours of dark souls 2 lol

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Thank god there are robots since those "mutants" look rather boring, even the special mutants.

It looks a bit shallow and maybe repetetive. They really didnt touch on what the player would be doing (the humans probably give quests, right?) other then randomly killing groups of rather harmless enemies.

But visually it looks great although the explosions look rather crap in comparison to the other particle effects.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
This looks very, VERY enjoyable... except it's on the XBone. This game might have committed suicide right of the start or get great sales because it's the only game worth owning.

Either way I'm sadly going to have to wait for a port or an emulator to play this.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Personally I'd say it's more like InFamous meets Dead Rising, but each to their own I guess.

Looks like it would be a fun little distraction but personally even if I had an Xbone I wouldn't want to pay upwards of £40 for it. It looks like it lacks any kind of challenge for a start. The free running all looks too easy and a bit slow if I'm honest. And the combat is still just point and shoot. If you could shoot whilst free running that would be interesting, but it seems like the free running is just a fun way of getting around and nothing more.

It has some cool ideas in there but I think the designers probably just said 'just make it colourful and wacky with explosions and people will buy it'.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Yep, looks like a game I would totally buy on day one.

At least, I would, if it wasn't for the whole Xbox One exclusive part.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
If I had to describe this game in one phrase, it would be Tony Hawk meets Left 4 Dead, and it's certainly a very refreshing, colorful change of pace from the brown and gray fare that's taken over the shooter genre.
It feels very similar to Saint's Row 4.

The pseudo-free-running looks very slow and kind of boring.

My takeaway impression is "third-person on-rails shooter."

--Morology!

PS: The narration is trying too hard. It makes the tone sound forced and insincere.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Why does it have to be an Xbone exclusive?

I mean, damn, this was the only game that caught my interest during the Microsoft press conference at last year's E3. I don't want to have a console that I'm only going to have for one game. That, and I don't want to deal with the Kinect.

Not stated in the vid, but probably gonna happen, I wonder if they'll have character customization.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
This game could cure my cripplingly painful autoimmune disorder and pay me twice as much as an Xbone costs and I still wouldn't buy an Xbone to play this.

Seriously, console exclusivity needs to die, it's hurting the industry.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
My goodness... this looks beautiful. It looks fun, it looks vibrant, it looks alive, and it looks original! There's definitely more to be desired with this game and I cannot wait to see more! Only one issue...

Ok internet. Lets start the worthless petitions and the sending of the death threats to get this think multiplat, cause fuuuuuu** the Xbone!

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
Can't wait to get this game. May even get it day one just because I want to support something so colorful and vibrant. The whole Infamous/Jet Set Radio/Dead Rising feel it has to it is also a huge plus.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Amazing. I dislike almost every single thing I saw here. That's a pretty unusal feeling for me to end with after watching a video.

Except the respawning ideas. That made me chuckle.

But the color scheme, the 'vibe,' the gameplay - and the voice over didn't do it any favors - but it all came together to be pretty repellent.

This strikes me as odd because I'd started to watch it thinking I was going to see something along the lines of Borderlands and Team Fortress when they debuted. I'm not getting that here, though.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Really Sunset Overdrive would be the only reason I'd ever buy and Xbox One because Insomniac tends to make some pretty hilarious and great games. I'll be waiting though because I'm not gonna drop $500 on a game that instant out yet.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I give it credit for being more vibrant and unquie among the duck and cover grey colour shooters out there. Shame that it's a exclusive as I may had order that game.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Casual Shinji said:

Sorta looks like they took inFAMOUS and Jet Set Radio and smushed them together.
I was going to say the EXACT same thing. Or Crackdown 2. Except the grinding seems really slow to me. I suppose it doesn't matter since I can't afford a next-gen console and if I could it would only be the Wii U, but it does look delightfully colorful.