PS4 Planetside 2 to Run at 1080p, Playable at E3

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
PS4 Planetside 2 to Run at 1080p, Playable at E3

Sony Online Entertainment has confirmed that the PS4 version of Planetside 2 will be present at this year's E3, and its resolution will be at 1080p, with a "smooth" frame-rate.

Late last year, we reported that the PlayStation 4 version of Planetside 2's visuals will be comparable to the PC version's "Ultra" setting. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130872-PlanetSide-2-on-PS4-Visuals-Equivalent-to-Ultra-Settings-on-PC] Now, in a Twitch stream for the shooter, Planetside 2 creative director Matt Higby has revealed that the game will be playable on the PS4 at this year's E3. In addition to that, Higby confirms that the PS4 version will be at 1080p resolution with a "smooth" frame-rate. Given he hasn't revealed the exact frames-per-second, chances are it won't be at the desired 60fps, since Higby would have released that bit if info if it was the case.

You can check out Higby's comment in the Twitch video, where he talks about it around the 7:30 mark. [http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/b/527064376]

While Sony Online Entertainment has yet to divulge a release date for the game, with it being present at next month's big event should hopefully signal that its release is soon.

For more Planetside 2 reading, we won't happen due to "update cadence." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131153-PlanetSide-2-Implementing-Weekly-Updates]

Source: Gamepur [http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/b/527064376]

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
The weekly updates that they managed for all of about 3 weeks before screwing it up? :)

Not having PC/PS4 players in the same place though, that is going to hurt them. The PC pop is already slowly dying out and I can't forsee masses of people rushing out to buy a PS4 for this. Will probably do great for a couple months then decline just as the PC version has done.

That said though, some of the design decisions that have been made post Beta feel more suited to a console shooter so maybe it will do just fine?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
mirage202 said:
Not having PC/PS4 players in the same place though, that is going to hurt them. The PC pop is already slowly dying out and I can't forsee masses of people rushing out to buy a PS4 for this. Will probably do great for a couple months then decline just as the PC version has done.
Pitching mice against gamepads in an FPS is a bad idea. MS tried it, <url=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-killed-pc-xbox-cross-platform-play>and it didn't go well.

It would be a great idea for games that are better with analog controls though, like multiplayer combat flight sims.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
RA92 said:
mirage202 said:
Pitching mice against gamepads in an FPS is a bad idea. MS tried it, <url=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-killed-pc-xbox-cross-platform-play>and it didn't go well.

It would be a great idea for games that are better with analog controls though, like multiplayer combat flight sims.
Admittedly I'm basing my opinion on the assumption that the PS4 can use KB/M like the PS3, though not having picked up a PS4 yet I don't know if that is actually the case or not.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
It will give me something to use my expensive brick for, had next to nothing since launch. I got it with killzone but I haven't been able to afford any games since, I have been limping by on the PS+ games ... which have all been awful on the PS4, I am getting watch dogs later this month but I doubt that will last long.

So this will give me something to play till I start getting flooded by games.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, SOE had been deploying a TON of patches to optimize Planetside 2 on PC, even going as far as remaking an entire continent to make the game run better and for the most part, it has worked wonders, I can't still run it at 60 fps on big battles, but it definitely has improved a lot performance wise over the years and I really don't doubt the PS4 would be capable of running it at 1080p without much troubles.

What I'm curious to see, is how will the PS4 handle the big fights, especially at night.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I'm not too worried about any of those features for Planetside, I'd just like to play it. Battlefield 4 has been nice, but I think it's still a few months before it gets out of beta and starts being a legitimate shooter.

Actually, now that I think about it, does anyone know if Planetside 2 on PS4 has custom button mappings? These days, that's pretty much the biggest thing I look for.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ah, the silky smooth 25 frames per second designed to induce nausea. and the promise of ultra graphics.... to those that played this, are PC graphics really that bad that PS4 can run it on ultra?

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Saying that the frame rate is smooth doesn't make 30fps smooth Matt. If these are truly "Next Gen" consoles then why do they consistently fails to pull off 1080P/60fps, which has become the expected standard on PC.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Strazdas said:
ah, the silky smooth 25 frames per second designed to induce nausea. and the promise of ultra graphics.... to those that played this, are PC graphics really that bad that PS4 can run it on ultra?
I will doubt the claims that sony makes right up until I see it with my own eyes. The PC graphics are incredible but right now it doesn't matter what kind of PC you have. You could be running 16 cores at 4.5 ghz with 128 gb of ram and four titan video cards and still be getting 40 fps in battles. The Planetside 2 program doesn't use hyperthreading or doesn't use it well enough to matter, and won't use linked video cards, but requires an amount of processing you could only get using both methods efficiently. In essence, nobody can run the game well because the programming isn't written to use the hardware. The PS4 doesn't really have any more impressive hardware than a decent gaming PC. Unless they totally rebuilt the game from the ground up to make better use of resources, or violently reduced the quality of graphics I can't see how they could possibly meet this goal, if anything it should run worse on the PS4.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Do4600 said:
The Planetside 2 program doesn't use hyperthreading or doesn't use it well enough to matter, and won't use linked video cards, but requires an amount of processing you could only get using both methods efficiently. In essence, nobody can run the game well because the programming isn't written to use the hardware.
thanks for the info. expect hypertreading to be fixed. they will have to do it to run on the many low powered cores in PS4 and once they do it there there is no reason not to port it to PC since its same architecture.
there is plenty of games that dont use linked GPUs still, so i wouldnt be too hard on them for that though.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Ultra settings doesn't necessarily imply Anti-Aliasing or Antroscopic Filtering, and those are the areas consoles have generally ignored in terms of graphics. Sure, having all the models at ultra image quality would be nice, but without any AA I can't see it looking that nice. Me thinks this is some deception by the devs.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Strazdas said:
Do4600 said:
The Planetside 2 program doesn't use hyperthreading or doesn't use it well enough to matter, and won't use linked video cards, but requires an amount of processing you could only get using both methods efficiently. In essence, nobody can run the game well because the programming isn't written to use the hardware.
thanks for the info. expect hypertreading to be fixed. they will have to do it to run on the many low powered cores in PS4 and once they do it there there is no reason not to port it to PC since its same architecture.
there is plenty of games that dont use linked GPUs still, so i wouldnt be too hard on them for that though.
That's what a lot of people are saying and what I'm hoping for but for the past four months or so they've been using the entire pc development team, some 20-30 developers to optimize the game instead of programming new content. They still don't seem to have addressed multithreading even though it seems like the PS4 version is only several months away.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
mirage202 said:
The weekly updates that they managed for all of about 3 weeks before screwing it up? :)

That said though, some of the design decisions that have been made post Beta feel more suited to a console shooter so maybe it will do just fine?
i say the future of the game on the PS4 will be similar is they dont change their F2P model, it was blatantly P2W the last time i played

also this might hurt the playerbase quite a bit as well, the game asks a lot of effort from you but theres really no payoff because the game has no winning conditions, that enemy base that took you centuries to capture from the enemy? chances are the enemy will get it back in the next 30 minutes, all that effort for nothing, there is no real satisfaction for winning anything, atleast in my opinion

i wrote a full review about it

http://steamcommunity.com/id/nuclearkangaroo/recommended/218230/

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Do4600 said:
Strazdas said:
Do4600 said:
That's what a lot of people are saying and what I'm hoping for but for the past four months or so they've been using the entire pc development team, some 20-30 developers to optimize the game instead of programming new content. They still don't seem to have addressed multithreading even though it seems like the PS4 version is only several months away.
i would expect to see multithreading after the PS4 version since the people that worked on the PS4 version will come and bring the knowledge after release. optimizing > new content is good in my book. i always wanted developers to do more optimizing, but i know that the general public needs constant new content due to thier low attention spans.