James Franco Will Direct/Star In Biopic of The Room's Tommy Wiseau

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
James Franco Will Direct/Star In Biopic of The Room's Tommy Wiseau

Because of course he will

Hollywood's two most prominent "I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not" icons - actor James Franco and bizarre cult film The Room - are about to collide. The quixotic star will direct a feature film based on The Disaster Artist, a book chronicling the making of the film, and will also star as its enigmatic director Tommy Wiseau.

An independent romantic drama originally made in 2003, The Room featured Wiseau himself in the lead role of a well-meaning man whose life is upended by an affair between his best friend and his girlfriend. The film is notorious for its bad acting, bizarre sitcom-like staging, random story events from nowhere (a subplot about a drug dealer comes and goes without explanation, Wiseau and his friends hang out in an alley tossing a football around in tuxedos for no reason), and Wiseau's yet-undeciphered accent. Originally popular as an inside joke among comedians and industry folk, it caught on with the midnight movie circuit (along with the internet-reviewer crowd) and now has a passionate cult following.

No date or wider casting has been announced. The Disaster Artist was co-written by actor Greg Sestero, who played Mark in the film.

Source: Grantland [B]Permalink[/B]

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
You know, it's a shame low content posts are cracked down on so hard here because all my post would say is, "what."

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
This should be interesting. My favourite part in the original is when they swapped out the actor for one of the supporting characters in the middle of the film, and didn't bother to re-shoot any of his previous scenes, so you have this fellow doing a whole bunch of indignant ranting, and no one watching the film has any idea who he's supposed to be.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Is this really something that has to happen? Doesn't it rob The Room from its aura of baffling to know more about it?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Say what you will about James Franco, no one can deny he has a sense of humor.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I perceive that to be an attempt to draw on the internet's hatred for publicity. Because you know something like this would be reviewed by online reviewers everywhere. It's bound to be successful in the "we hate it so much we want to yell at it"-way. Bait for raging reviewers, basically.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Incidentally, it has been convincingly theorized that Tommy Wiseau is of Polish descent, but of course he'll never tell...

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009

Okay, you can come out now. I know I'm on some kind of prank show. No one in their right mind would actually do this. Where is the camera crew? Haha! Great joke...

Guys? The jig is up. Guys?

Guys?

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Actually I can very much see why this was going to happen.

If you haven't read the disaster artist I highly recommend it, it's an amazing account of something truly horrendously bizarre yet somehow beautiful.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
It's like... failception... an awful, pointless actor writing, directing and starring in a movie about an awful, pointless actor writing, directing and starring in a movie. A really, really bad movie.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
cojo965 said:
You know, it's a shame low content posts are cracked down on so hard here because all my post would say is, "what."
Second that.

I might tack "why?" on the end, though.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Ha ha ha, what a story Bob~

That said:
TheMemoman said:
Is this really something that has to happen? Doesn't it rob The Room from its aura of baffling to know more about it?
I doubt it'll be an honest telling of the story, considering Wiseau started claiming, nay, swearing that the film was meant to be a black comedy AFTER it got panned by every critic in the business.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
It seems a little early to be rebooting Ed Wood, but I suppose if anyone's going to fill Johnny Depps shoes James Franco seems oddly appropriate.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Pedro The Hutt said:
I doubt it'll be an honest telling of the story, considering Wiseau started claiming, nay, swearing that the film was meant to be a black comedy AFTER it got panned by every critic in the business.
It's based off Greg Sestero's novel, which is literally the friendship between him and Tommy and the production of the room as accurately told as Greg's memory would let him. I'm fairly excited to see this film now.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TheMemoman said:
Potentially. On the other hand, it could contribute to the aura of baffling.

Can you imagine a chronicle of the actress's breakdown as Wiseau does those ass-shots over and over and over and...?