Game of Thrones Season 4 Ep 6 "The Laws of God and Man" AKA The Dinklage Emmy Winner

Dan O'Halloran

Feb 4, 2014
Game of Thrones Season 4 Ep 6 "The Laws of God and Man" AKA The Dinklage Emmy Winner

A lot of minor stuff happens then Peter Dinklage gives us all a lesson in major league acting. And it was awesome.

Read Full Article

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I predict Oberyn, champion of Tyrion, vs The Mountain next episode. Simply because, who else would Tywin pick as his champion for a trial by combat? Not the lord of flowers - he got beat up by a girl. And this will give Oberyn that much desired payback for the rape and murder of his sister. Though, with the name of the next episode, something's gonna happen at the Aerie. Maybe Littlefinger makes his wife fly. We know he wants to, that girl's loony.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I really do think Tyrion is gonna ask Jamie to fight for him. I mean, he asked for him the first time he called for this, so he might do it again. As for Tywin, I have no idea. It could be Oberyn, but it could also be Bronn just because he failed to do what Tyrion asked of him. He does go for the most money, so he might be involved there. Could be fun to watch a legit match between Jamie and Bronn.

Seeing as who the Iron Bank is backing now I'm really curious to know how it's going to play out. I mean, Stannis will do anything to get to the Iron Throne, but for some reason I don't think it's going to end well for him. He's far to rash and impulsive.

I did cheer at the little speech Tyrion gave and I'm super excited for the next episode. :D

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
Oh my god this was sooo gooooooood.
Even for someone who read the books, this was such an amazing episode.
Damn Peter Dinklage, you are awesome...

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I think this was probably the first episode I have watched where I found the excessive to actively take her out of the experience.

We have this great dramatic speech by Davos and it the transition felt like "... and now, some tits"

Still, it was definitely the best episode since the Purple Wedding and Peter Dinklage was unbelievably brilliant.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Remus said:
I predict Oberyn, champion of Tyrion, vs The Mountain next episode. Simply because, who else would Tywin pick as his champion for a trial by combat? Not the lord of flowers - he got beat up by a girl. And this will give Oberyn that much desired payback for the rape and murder of his sister. Though, with the name of the next episode, something's gonna happen at the Aerie. Maybe Littlefinger makes his wife fly. We know he wants to, that girl's loony.
I allready read the books, but it's not nice to spoil the books for everyone else.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"He increases the bounty on the head of The Hound ". Actually, I might have heard it wrong, it's stated that they should put a bounty out. Then 10 silver pieces is suggested, and then get's shrugged away with "make it a hundred".

So technically he raises the bounty, but not in the sense that an existing bounty was inadequate in the first place. I hope this bounty will give us some more scenes with Arya and the Hound!

Tyrion; OMG, that trial was AWESOME!!!
Not sure that combat will work out for him. Seems like a great opportunity for Cersei to poison Tyrion's champion, so that whoever that will be staggers just before the winning strike and thus get's killed. That is a very typical cliche... hope they avoid it, but fear they won't.

I don't understand why they back Davos and co at the bank, though. Why not back Daneirys? She has the best claim AND tons of victories and Unsullied... oh, and DRAGONSSSS!!!! *Imagine that last statement ending with me spitting fire :D *

Speaking of the latter; very cool scene to show their power, speed and cruelty!

To wrap up; MUCH better episode than the two before it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Favorite episode yet, excluding of course the obvious one.

Only moment that felt out of place was the pirate joke. It was a bit of a funny moment, obviously knocking on how cliched the joke is (and how many have told it), but for some reason that was the one scene that failed to suspend my disbelief.

Also, I hope that crazy ***** flies through the moon next week.

SkullKing

Jan 18, 2013
Amaror said:
I allready read the books, but it's not nice to spoil the books for everyone else.
How do you know he read the books? He said he "predicts" it, and I have heard other non book-reading folk predict the same simply because The mountain is a fearsome warrior in the Lannister´s pocket, and Oberyn wants really to fight him.

Until your post this wasn´t an spoiler.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Fantastic episode capped by an awesomely cathartic speech. While the stuff with Tyrion was indeed the best (as always), I really liked the Bravos scene at the start. Daavos and Stannis are getting to be a rare treat these days, so the more we see of them, the better. Especially without Mellissandre. Is that how you spell that? I don't care.

It's funny the reviewer mentioned Ramsay becoming the new hate sink in place of Joffrey because I've thought for ages that he was way worse. I mean, the episode where Joffrey died also had Ramsay (or 'evil Matt Smith' as I call him) hunting a girl for sport and getting Theon to shave him while rubbing the death of Robb Stark in his face. Meanwhile Joffrey's equivalent scene in the same episode was just to re-enact the war with jousting dwarves and pour wine on Tyrion's head when he didn't play along. Harsh, but peanuts compared to shit Ramsay got up to. He's creepy, whereas Joffrey was at least good for a laugh.

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Kingjackl said:
Fantastic episode capped by an awesomely cathartic speech. While the stuff with Tyrion was indeed the best (as always), I really liked the Bravos scene at the start. Daavos and Stannis are getting to be a rare treat these days, so the more we see of them, the better. Especially without Mellissandre. Is that how you spell that? I don't care.

It's funny the reviewer mentioned Ramsay becoming the new hate sink in place of Joffrey because I've thought for ages that he was way worse. I mean, the episode where Joffrey died also had Ramsay (or 'evil Matt Smith' as I call him) hunting a girl for sport and getting Theon to shave him while rubbing the death of Robb Stark in his face. Meanwhile Joffrey's equivalent scene in the same episode was just to re-enact the war with jousting dwarves and pour wine on Tyrion's head when he didn't play along. Harsh, but peanuts compared to shit Ramsay got up to. He's creepy, whereas Joffrey was at least good for a laugh.
For me I would say that Ramsay has simply had more time and put more thought into his sadism whereas Joffrey was still pretty much a child.

The way that Joffrey hurt people was crude and obvious but the way that Ramsay does is it is so much more thought out in order to cause maximum pain and anguish in his victims.

My point being that I think Joffrey would have become more like Ramsay if he had been allowed to. That and I think that Ramsay is way smarter than Joffrey was. Smarter in an incredibly twisted way of course but smarter none the less.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
I don't understand why they back Davos and co at the bank, though. Why not back Daneirys? She has the best claim AND tons of victories and Unsullied...
Why the Bravosi haven't supported Daenerys in her war at slavers bay so far has mystified me, several times we hear through the novels about how they hate slavery and have frequently gone to war with the other free cities over it. You think the First Sea Lord would have sent her support to help her win in slavers bay and retake Westeros to pay back the Iron Bank.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
It seems the quality of the series is dropping fast - its just filled with nonsensical mini story lines which stop making sense the second you take a closer look at them, the Jon, Bran and Locke thing being a prime example.
Because after the trial and the events following, the books get really slow. Especially where Bran and company, and Dany are concerned. They just aren't good but the show needs to address these characters.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
I wasn't going to comment since I stopped watching the show after season two, but, why is it that "Tywin" was only spelled correctly in this article twice? Or is there a mysterious new character named Twyin?

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
Then theres the changes made to Dany which... Ugh. It would have been much cooler for the guy to unravel the charred bones of his child, especially when you consider whats going to happen in the future.
I've noticed a lot of people saying this about the dragon attack and it's not true; same thing happens in the books. First the dragons hunt sheep and other livestock and people start going to Dany all the time, asking her to help them now that her dragons killed their only source of income. It was only later that the dragon allegedly kills a child (yes, charred bones of a child are presented to her, but it might as well be one of the many attempts of Sons of the Harpy to overthrow her or someone else just using the opportunity). The scene in the latest episode was not a change made to Dany. The child thing will still happen, probably in the next season (it's all book 5 material anyway).

I agree with you about the Dreadfort part in the episode though. They probably wanted to remind us about Yara's existence (Yara in the show, Asha in the books), show how deeply Theon got screwed by Ramsay and give them something to do for this season. But their defeat in the kennels was pretty stupid. Yara is an expert axe-thrower, she could have killed Ramsay in a blink of an eye. And they would've killed the dogs as soon as they arrived, since they can wake the whole castle and are obviously dangerous. Ah well.

I'm glad that the trial was excellent, though. The whole thing made me nervous even though I read the books and knew what's going to happen. Amazing work.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I really do think Tyrion is gonna ask Jamie to fight for him. I mean, he asked for him the first time he called for this, so he might do it again. As for Tywin, I have no idea. It could be Oberyn, but it could also be Bronn just because he failed to do what Tyrion asked of him. He does go for the most money, so he might be involved there. Could be fun to watch a legit match between Jamie and Bronn.
The problem with Jaime is that he can't side against his family so publicly and even with his training he is still not as good as he used to be. Against the Lannister's best, he'd be toast.

I also doubt Bronn will get involved. He's a good fighter, but there are better that the Lannisters can get for free.

I'm guessing the Mountain will be the Lannister choice, since he's always been their attack dog and only the insane would fight him. Ser Loras is the only other possible choice, but I doubt the Tyrells would risk his life for a Lannister cause.

As for Tyrion, I think Oberyn will do it, if only so he can avenge himself on the Mountain and stick it to Tywin. Also, the show keeps dropping hints that Oberyn is a skilled warrior (I think the side comment about the Unsullied is supposed to hint that he's learned some skills from them) and he doesn't fear Tywin or Cersei.

The only other person who would even represent him would have been Brienne, but she's miles away by now. Maybe the Hound if he was here (anything to kill his brother) but he's not.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
It seems the quality of the series is dropping fast - its just filled with nonsensical mini story lines which stop making sense the second you take a closer look at them, the Jon, Bran and Locke thing being a prime example.
This has been my feeling for most of season 4 too. I understand why they split book 3 into two seasons, for pretty much the same reason the book was split in most of Europe; because it would otherwise be a really crammed season with just ten episodes to cover it all. But the way they are going about it now, just dragging out what basically constitutes the last third of book 3 over the course of an entire season, just seems inane.

Things happen but nothing really seems to come out of all these things happening, instead the status quo seems to remain episode after episode (when was the last time we saw Stannis, episode 4:2? When are the wildlings going to perform the attack that was imminent at the end of season 3?) while the plot leisurely plods forward at a pace that feels more reminiscent of A Feast for Crows than it does a Storm of Swords. This could have been remedied a bit by preparing the viewer for some of the story lines about to come (a good example of this is actually Dany's scene in the last episode), but instead we get these mini-story lines that doesn't seem to go anywhere and are unlikely to have any effect on the overall narrative.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Kingjackl said:
For me, what makes Ramsay wonderfully villainous is how smart and how crazy he is. Joff was a spoiled brat with a sadistic sense of humor, whereas Ramsay comes from the opposite direction. Joff was handed everything he ever wanted from the second he started breathing, while Ramsay is a bastard who's had to fight for his father's attention. He's learned how to manipulate people into getting what he wants. Joff was dumb, Ramsay is ruthlessly clever.

Only the truly insane would dive into a battle with only a pair of weapons and trousers to protect yourself. I really wish the Dreadfort sequence was given a little more time and thought, because it could have been a good character defining moment for the Bastard of Bolton.