World of Warcraft's Night Elf Gets a Face-lift For Warlords of Dreanor

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
World of Warcraft's Night Elf Gets a Face-lift For Warlords of Dreanor

World of Warcraft's Night Elf player model will be brought in line graphically with the game's newer races.

At last year's Blizzcon, Blizzard announced that all of the original eight World of Warcraft races [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129494-Check-Out-World-of-Warcrafts-Updated-Player-Models] would be getting a face-lift for the upcoming Warlords of Dreanor expansion. At the time, we only saw new models for the Orc, Gnome, Dwarf, Undead and Tauren, but now we've been given a glimpse at how Night Elves will look in the expansion - at least, the females. Check them out below:

[gallery=2481]

On the redesign, Blizzard artist Tyson Murphy said: "Overall, we've made her new model a little more defined, made some of her proportions a bit more realistic, and added a bit more muscle tone. We wanted to visually communicate that she is a fully capable warrior huntress, and small details like muscle definition help highlight that. We also put additional focus on her hands and fingernails, giving a very slight point to her nails to provide just a hint of a more feral nature."

It's certainly a far cry for those blurry, jagged renders that were originally released back in 2004.

Blizzard are periodically updating their blog with the new character models, check out the "Artcraft" posts [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/13474198] for more info.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/14096397]

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
That's funny, I don't remember Blood Elves being purpl-- WAIT A SECOND

BLIZZARD

THAT'S NOT THE RACE I WANT YOU TO SHOW ME.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU.

>_> How can I have fabulous hair if you won't let me see it. Pls.

In all seriousness, looks good. It's funny that the differences are a bit harder to notice because of the lack of pupils for me, because that's where the improvement on the other models seemed to draw my attention. Maybe I'm just weird.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
"Overall, we've made her new model a little more defined, made some of her proportions a bit more realistic, and added a bit more muscle tone. We wanted to visually communicate that she is a fully capable warrior huntress, and small details like muscle definition help highlight that. We also put additional focus on her hands and fingernails, giving a very slight point to her nails to provide just a hint of a more feral nature."
I found this part immensely encouraging. It really breaks immersion in games about swinging swords and shooting massive bows that all the female characters look like stick figures who would snap if they attempted either.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Definitely some major improvements there, though I reckon the lighter coloured wavier hair adds a bit more character.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
Back when you encountered Night Elves in Warcraft 3, you got the impression that they were some seriously dangerous warriors that might be a real danger to the Orcs in hand to hand combat(specifically the women). I'm glad that they're regaining a bit of physical presence and savagery (especially if you consider the roar in one of the pictures). Now they just need to be a bit taller.
So, I did a look-see at the original post on the WoW site, and just realized that half the playerbase is losing their shit over the lack of fangs. I figure it's relevant enough to this comment. But yeah, they're still getting them. So, if scarier elves is what we want...

guess that's what we're getting

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
Ferisar said:
Smilomaniac said:
Back when you encountered Night Elves in Warcraft 3, you got the impression that they were some seriously dangerous warriors that might be a real danger to the Orcs in hand to hand combat(specifically the women). I'm glad that they're regaining a bit of physical presence and savagery (especially if you consider the roar in one of the pictures). Now they just need to be a bit taller.
So, I did a look-see at the original post on the WoW site, and just realized that half the playerbase is losing their shit over the lack of fangs. I figure it's relevant enough to this comment. But yeah, they're still getting them. So, if scarier elves is what we want...

I did notice that, but figured it wasn't overly important since Warcraft has changed a lot since the original games anyway. Back when Paladins were merciless and Orcs weren't misunderstood teenagers.
BUT

BUT MOM. THRALL IS SUPERKEWL. He's like a shaman and stuff. He's all like "I'm an orc but was raised by a person?" and and he shoots lightning bolts and elements and

Yeah who am I kidding.
Proooobably a bit cooler.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
^ Pictured, teenage angst?

Anyway, on topic. What would be totally awesome imo, is if that super long braid didnt stay locked to her shoulder, and when she moved it fell down her back ot whatever direction she's going. But when she stands still she pulls it back over her shoulder (and plays with the end >.>).

Always loved that braid, but damn it was distracting how it was stuck to her shoulder all the time.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Gotta say it's kinda impressive that an engine as old as WoW's can still have that kind of graphical performance.

Smilomaniac said:
I did notice that, but figured it wasn't overly important since Warcraft has changed a lot since the original games anyway. Back when Paladins were merciless and Orcs weren't misunderstood teenagers.
I get the second bit, but since when have Paladins in Warcraft been "merciless?"

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I definitely like the muscle tone upgrade.

Other than that... well... I don't play World of Warcraft, so I don't know.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Flames66 said:
Steven Bogos said:
"Overall, we've made her new model a little more defined, made some of her proportions a bit more realistic, and added a bit more muscle tone. We wanted to visually communicate that she is a fully capable warrior huntress, and small details like muscle definition help highlight that. We also put additional focus on her hands and fingernails, giving a very slight point to her nails to provide just a hint of a more feral nature."
I found this part immensely encouraging. It really breaks immersion in games about swinging swords and shooting massive bows that all the female characters look like stick figures who would snap if they attempted either.
I would prefer that was a /little/ beefier, as aside from the muscle definition being there, she's almost the same size as the old model. But this is a step in the right direction, model and texture wise, it's georgous, and that one with the pony tail looks like she means business, /thats/ a female Night Elf folks. I just wish they still showed the wireframes and texture maps, I love seeing how well Blizzard do them.

But BY GOD do not go into the MMO Champion comments section for this. Because they would have you believe she's: Ugly, Masculine, fat, a shemale, hideous, too realistic, too musclebound, no longer hot, or too old. Frankly, I question what they think hot is, because I would tap any of the night elves in the preview in a heartbeat.

Aeshi said:
Gotta say it's kinda impressive that an engine as old as WoW's can still have that kind of graphical performance.
It's mostly down to their texture department, the models themselves are pretty much "low" poly by todays standards, you can see the texture maps and wireframes below:

Even the original ones haven't aged that badly, and they had fucking awful wireframes even for their time, (only clocking in at 1k polys) Blizzard just knows what it's doing and how to optimize extremely well, in order to create something that looks great, even if it is technically inferior. Plus everyone can play!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Maybe it's just me but I don't see much of a difference really, other than making her underwear more Night Elfy and getting rid of the double-eyebrow thing they had going on. Adding muscle tone and definition is all well and good but...doesn't it kinda imply that the only way to appreciate such detail is to have your character running around naked? :p

Ferisar said:
Smilomaniac said:

Really? People want to turn the Night Elves into vampires? Le sigh...

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Well, technically, sharp canines have been with the night elves since their inception back in Warcraft 3 (official Blizzard art):

It's subtle, but it's there. And they've not been too vampiric so far, have they ^^

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Vegosiux said:
RJ 17 said:
Well, technically, sharp canines have been with the night elves since their inception back in Warcraft 3 (official Blizzard art):

It's subtle, but it's there. And they've not been too vampiric so far, have they ^^
This I know, and there's nothing wrong with that. But considering this image (which is what I was going off of), I'd say there's no real way to implement such a subtle detail so that it'd be noticeable without being too noticeable, if you know what I mean.

The purple lipstick certainly doesn't help her not look like a vampire, for that matter. =3

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I really like these. They are muscular, intimidating, but still very alluring. Everything an elf should be.

Really, how do all these people stay so slim and feminine in this high fantasy/medieval/punk setting? They are warriors! Even more so for the more amazonian of races. Like elves and trolls.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Why focus on the Night Elves though? All the old races are getting new models.

It's the sex appeal, isn't it? I sure hope not. The memory of 'that one Night Elf video' still haunts me.