Diablo III Gets Double Drop Rates For Its Anniversary

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Diablo III Gets Double Drop Rates For Its Anniversary

Celebrate Diablo III's second birthday with an increased drop chance of legendaries and rift fragments.

Good news for anyone planning on diving in to Diablo III over the next week - you'll be treated to an increased chance to find legendary items, as well as double rift fragment drops from bounties and Nephalem caches. This anniversary buff comes right on the heels of Patch 2.0.5, which among a plethora of bug fixes, had some pretty significant changes to the Barbarian, Crusader and Witch Doctor classes (mostly buffs!)

To celebrate the game's second anniversary and the community that made it all possible, players who log in to defend Sanctuary this week will receive double Rift Fragments as well as a +100% boost to their chance to find Legendary items. This bonus birthday buff begins in the Americas on Thursday, May 15 at 12:00 a.m. PDT and ends on Thursday, May 22 at 5:00 a.m. PDT.

Unfortunately, for those of you enjoying the game on PS3 or Xbox 360, the special anniversary buff is only available on PC and Mac, but it will apply to all characters and stack with similar bonuses.

As for Patch 2.0.5, to see exactly what changes it brought for your class of choice, check out the full notes here [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/14138344/patch-205-now-live-5-13-2014]. As well as class changes, the patch also buffed Kadala and Horadric caches to be able to drop torment-only legendaries, and increase the amount of blood shards rewarded for completing rifts on higher torment levels.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/14005211/and-then-we-doubled-it-happy-birthday-diablo-iii-5-14-2014]

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
Halyah said:
Was the droprate for legendaries high enough for that boost to even matter in the first place?
Short answer Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Long answer, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Especially with the recent leak on the actual legendaries being "weighted" meaning you could literally play the game for an eternity going after one specific piece of gear, disregarding the fact that all the items roll COMPLETELY RANDOMLY(Other than a small handful of specific affixes on specific legendaries. IE Thunderfury always rolling a socket. There's just, so little legitimate reason to play because you can go onward into infinity and be stuck with a mediocre build wishing you could find that one other piece of gear that lets you play the game in a whole new way. The whole itemization/dropping stuff is, for lack of better words, a complete and utter blunder.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Ninmecu said:
Halyah said:
Was the droprate for legendaries high enough for that boost to even matter in the first place?
Short answer Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Long answer, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Especially with the recent leak on the actual legendaries being "weighted" meaning you could literally play the game for an eternity going after one specific piece of gear, disregarding the fact that all the items roll COMPLETELY RANDOMLY(Other than a small handful of specific affixes on specific legendaries. IE Thunderfury always rolling a socket. There's just, so little legitimate reason to play because you can go onward into infinity and be stuck with a mediocre build wishing you could find that one other piece of gear that lets you play the game in a whole new way. The whole itemization/dropping stuff is, for lack of better words, a complete and utter blunder.
By Thunderfury, do you mean to tell me that Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker [http://www.wowhead.com/item=19019/thunderfury-blessed-blade-of-the-windseeker] as seen in WoW, drops in D3? Because I'd absolutely love that.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Halyah said:
Definitely. I've been averaging 2-3 legendaries per hour so I should be getting 4-6 while this buff is going. Only done a couple of rifts so far but got 6 legendaries and 3 legendary plans so it's looking good so far.

Ninmecu said:
Wut. We knew that the drops would be weighted before Vanilla was launched, just like they were in Diablo 2. It's not even as if they are that low either. The Star of Azkaranth is the rarest item in the game currently with it being weighted as 0.14-0.16%, that's 1 in 625-714. Compare that to the Zod rune from Diablo 2 which was set at 0.00003%, which means 1 in ~3,333,333. The fact is, Diablo 3 is significantly more generous with it's loot than most, if not all, other ARPGs.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Ninmecu said:
Halyah said:

Pair the random drops with random crafting and random enchanting and you've got a serious game that revolves solely around it's gamers gambling practically all the time.

I'm getting fed up with it, I've seen many a game out there that are capable of allowing you to craft what you want in front of your very eyes, in Diablo 3 it's "here's what you could get in stats but blow all your dosh and mats and here's a totally different set of shitty stats", keep doing it over and over and over again until you get what you want, that's not how the game should work at all, that's a terrible bloody grind of mats and money along with time.

My monk had the worst time imaginable compared to my Barbarian. My monk was my first character to join friends on the journey from the start, all the way to the end of the expansion and he hardly acquired any decent legs, my friends on the other hand were blazing through legs that were mostly geared towards their Hunter/Wizard and absolutely trumped my Monk's DPS among other stats and there was I crafting away, gambling most if not all my money and mats while having to repair my gear because I wasn't able to keep up my DPS and armour even though I was the same level and was doing great at the start of the game, my monks life up to 70 and beyond was just shit and all because of the game being a massive gambling simulator.

My skills mean absolutely nothing unless I have the decent gear/gems, that's what the game is pretty much about in the end, just like WoW it's about the gear, the gear makes you the man, your skills hardly mean much if you can't bring the dps and it's just sad.

I still like the game, don't get me wrong, I've been having a blast with my Barbarian and he's nowhere near 70 yet but it just shows that completely random loot drops/crafting/required money can really put massive dents in certain characters and fun when it's completely random, to rely on gambling a lot of the time is really annoying for some users, I myself detest gambling and try not to as often as possible.

Something tells me though that this new offer isn't going to really help my Monk out, the rifts and bounties already are complete jokes and my Monk as it stands gets no form of buff, the Wizard is already an OP class and I can agree with the other class buffs but I really wish Blizz would have at least buffed a small part of the Monk class, I feel as if they are somewhat under powered compared to what the other classes dish out.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
black_knight1337 said:
Halyah said:
Definitely. I've been averaging 2-3 legendaries per hour so I should be getting 4-6 while this buff is going. Only done a couple of rifts so far but got 6 legendaries and 3 legendary plans so it's looking good so far.

Ninmecu said:
Wut. We knew that the drops would be weighted before Vanilla was launched, just like they were in Diablo 2. It's not even as if they are that low either. The Star of Azkaranth is the rarest item in the game currently with it being weighted as 0.14-0.16%, that's 1 in 625-714. Compare that to the Zod rune from Diablo 2 which was set at 0.00003%, which means 1 in ~3,333,333. The fact is, Diablo 3 is significantly more generous with it's loot than most, if not all, other ARPGs.
VanQ said:
However the major difference is D2 had trading, D3 does not.

D2 and every other /good/ arpg has targetable farming, D3 does not.

They claimed to want to create build diversity, then they nerfed the hell out of legendary drops only to "buff" them later post-launch. As it stands, the best and most popular builds require insanely specific pieces with specific stat rolls that are so legendarily sided AGAINST the player that it's gone beyond "Lol it's mean to be a grind, l2p noob." A grind implies that there is an end and a gradual increase in strength leading towards that end. This, is just playing the nickel slots hoping against hope to get the 10,000$ jackpot.

Ninmecu said:
Halyah said:

By Thunderfury, do you mean to tell me that Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker [http://www.wowhead.com/item=19019/thunderfury-blessed-blade-of-the-windseeker] as seen in WoW, drops in D3? Because I'd absolutely love that.
My Editing-Fu is lacking, so I'll double quote myself.

Yes, I'm refering to that blade of legend, the one that took me months to farm and craft, the one I dedicated myself to acquiring simply for the sheer awesomeness of it's once lived glory. Know how I got mine in D3? A fucking clay pot. I wish I was kidding. An item of that stature should not be dropping from a god damned clay pot, or a white mob, or hell a champion pack, it should be boss-tier loot, only there is no boss-tier loot and it's infuriating and GAH. The game has so many things worse with it than the always online DRM, that's just the zit that's the most prominent, once you start playing the game and getting sucked into it you learn all the stupid shit they pulled and how much they've drawn from the worst aspects of WoW to put this, this mess of a game with no purpose (And don't start saying "Whats' the point of any game", I'm not arguing rhetoric.) Just, fuck every time I remember how I got my blasted Thunderfury it just ugh.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
God dammit you had to remind me about that damn "gold sink" when GOLD IS BOA. What the fuck is the point of that, especially since the high price barriers only hamper new players or old players who weren't around during the massive amounts of exploiting that went on. Sigh, the whole thing is just a god damned mess, I'm mad that I got hyped for the Expansion in the last few weeks leading up to it, sigh, loot 2.0 got a super legendary drop rate buff then they nerfed exp before launch during a double xp boost and they didn't undo it AFTER the boost was ended. It's a bunch of stupid little things like that that make me so damned annoyed that I put money in their pocket(s).

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Ninmecu said:

Yes, I'm refering to that blade of legend, the one that took me months to farm and craft, the one I dedicated myself to acquiring simply for the sheer awesomeness of it's once lived glory. Know how I got mine in D3? A fucking clay pot. I wish I was kidding. An item of that stature should not be dropping from a god damned clay pot, or a white mob, or hell a champion pack, it should be boss-tier loot, only there is no boss-tier loot and it's infuriating and GAH. The game has so many things worse with it than the always online DRM, that's just the zit that's the most prominent, once you start playing the game and getting sucked into it you learn all the stupid shit they pulled and how much they've drawn from the worst aspects of WoW to put this, this mess of a game with no purpose (And don't start saying "Whats' the point of any game", I'm not arguing rhetoric.) Just, fuck every time I remember how I got my blasted Thunderfury it just ugh.
Bosses don't drop any kind of special loot? Wait so, is there even any reason to actually bother with bosses then? Why would you go to the trouble of defeating a particularly difficult encounter if it has no rewards better than just farming trash endlessly?

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
VanQ said:
Ninmecu said:

Bosses don't drop any kind of special loot? Wait so, is there even any reason to actually bother with bosses then? Why would you go to the trouble of defeating a particularly difficult encounter if it has no rewards better than just farming trash endlessly?
They have something like an 11% chance of dropping their "Legendary crafting material" on torment 1, or "Normal" difficulty if you break down the difficulty scale - And as Shadow-Phoenix pointed out, crafted items have the same bullshit "lolrandom" stat range of every other item, combined with a 4 primary affix pool and 2 secondary affix pool as a maximum, the whole game just screams "Too many cooks." (For the uninformed, primaries are everything and anything that is universally useful, IE STR/VIT/DEX/INT etc, with differing stat possibilities based on the item(s) slot in question. Secondaries are universally worthless, unless you're a monk using the One With Everything talent. In which case you only care that one secondary stat is there and it's the same thing, ie stacking poison resistance (which is a secondary stat).) To put that % into perspective, the average boss kill on Torment 1 for someone who's got about 5-10 hours played at max level is about 5 minutes, the only thing that's really "special" about the craftable legendaries is they guarantee 6 affixes with the 4/2 model. The other max level craftable roll completely random with anything from 2/2 to 4/2, different each and every time. God it's the perfect game for people with gambling addictions.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
VanQ (supposedly?) said:
And whose fault is that? D3 HAD trading, but everyone whined that that was "P2W"

And that feature was so good that people felt the need to complain about it 24/7 because it meant people would just grind the same few bosses while the remaining 99% areas were left to rot.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Ninmecu said:
God dammit you had to remind me about that damn "gold sink" when GOLD IS BOA. What the fuck is the point of that, especially since the high price barriers only hamper new players or old players who weren't around during the massive amounts of exploiting that went on. Sigh, the whole thing is just a god damned mess, I'm mad that I got hyped for the Expansion in the last few weeks leading up to it, sigh, loot 2.0 got a super legendary drop rate buff then they nerfed exp before launch during a double xp boost and they didn't undo it AFTER the boost was ended. It's a bunch of stupid little things like that that make me so damned annoyed that I put money in their pocket(s).
Yeah I just don't get why they went down that route, I mean Skyrim has you battling your foes, levelling up and putting skill points into the perk trees like Blacksmithing for example, once the points were put into that tree and you had the mats you could make decent gear at the time, put in a few more points as time goes on and you could make your weapons/armour do that bit more, you were never punished as bad as you are in D3, I know in Skyrim I think you still had to use cash when crafting (I can't remember) but still that worlds crafting system was far more enjoyable, it wasn't stellar but it makes D3 look like a casino only game, hell Kingdoms of Amalur's system allowed you to craft the weapons and armour into pieces and let you see what the end result stats would be before you finalised crafting the item, if you didn't like that one piece that gave you a weak stat you could simply swap it out for another piece and then finish the crafting of that piece of egar, that's a system I'd kill for most RPG's to have because it doesn't punish you at all, it urges you to create new and more powerful things in the game.

I tell you what though, about a month back while me and two others were playing into the Expansion, I had all my gear broken so many times that I ended up broke so bad, Blizz doesn't allow users to trade gold and I had nothing to sell that would cover the costs of repairing the only gear I had along with me not having enough mats or money to craft replacement gear, I was literally stuck in a proper rut for hours just to cover my bloody repair bill...

Sigh, I wish they'd improve the drop rates or at the very least for a future Diablo is that they don't make the game gear only and revolve around "random" (I'm going to call it gambling from now on) crafting/enchanting, random drops can be fine but jesus please allow me to put the skills and mats into crafting and enchanting, leave money out of it, it really breaks my immersion when I have to pay cash to nothing in order to craft something I already know how to craft, have the mats and the tools, it just reeks of a forced bs grind tacked on.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Ninmecu said:
Fair enough. The significantly higher weightings and drop rates make up for this though.

Erm, there is targetable farming in D3. Between Caches, crafting and Kadala you can get any item in the game.

They claimed to want to create build diversity, then they nerfed the hell out of legendary drops only to "buff" them later post-launch. As it stands, the best and most popular builds require insanely specific pieces with specific stat rolls that are so legendarily sided AGAINST the player that it's gone beyond "Lol it's mean to be a grind, l2p noob." A grind implies that there is an end and a gradual increase in strength leading towards that end. This, is just playing the nickel slots hoping against hope to get the 10,000$ jackpot.
Source on the drop rate nerf? AFAIK the live servers have only ever had buffs. Some builds, sure, but isn't that just the nature of ARPGs? There'll always be those powerful builds that are very gear intensive. And there certainly is an end, you will eventually get all the gear you want. It may take you 10, 100 or 1000+ hours to do so but you will get there eventually. Idk, if you don't like these kind of things then maybe ARPGs just aren't your thing.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
Aeshi said:
VanQ (supposedly?) said:
And whose fault is that? D3 HAD trading, but everyone whined that that was "P2W"

And that feature was so good that people felt the need to complain about it 24/7 because it meant people would just grind the same few bosses while the remaining 99% areas were left to rot.
Actually, you're quoting me.

The reason trading came across as P2W is because of the RMAH meaning that drops had to be heavily weighed AGAINST the playerbase otherwise they couldn't make full gain from the RMAH's 15%.(Hell, one echoing fury sold for 10,000 USD. Let that sink in.(Though it was sold privately, so naturally, blizzard couldn't claim a cut since they capped item value at 250usd)) The masses will complain about everything and anything, but everything being a slot machine is an exercise in futility.

black_knight1337 said:
Ninmecu said:
Fair enough. The significantly higher weightings and drop rates make up for this though.

Erm, there is targetable farming in D3. Between Caches, crafting and Kadala you can get any item in the game.

Source on the drop rate nerf? AFAIK the live servers have only ever had buffs. Some builds, sure, but isn't that just the nature of ARPGs? There'll always be those powerful builds that are very gear intensive. And there certainly is an end, you will eventually get all the gear you want. It may take you 10, 100 or 1000+ hours to do so but you will get there eventually. Idk, if you don't like these kind of things then maybe ARPGs just aren't your thing.
No, the drop weighting does not make up for it. If you're after a specific build because it's a playstyle you actually enjoy, you've got to play the slot machines and hope against hope that you get the item you want. As for your counter argument regarding targetable farming - That's no different than saying "well you can just kill all sorts of mobs or go after pots to get stuff!" Kadala doesn't guarantee any particular item after any period of time or shards spent. IF and only IF she was the only part of the game that was so RNG based(Don't try and claim I'm against RNG, what I'm against is the layers of RNG that are completely unnecessary.), that would be perfectly acceptable, I would have NO complaints. However, she's just another form of RNG on top of layers upon layers of RNG. They didn't advertise and I'll admit, it's largely anecdotal, but I was running T1 during the month leading to ROS going live and was getting a much larger number of legendary drops than I was getting the week leading up to my quitting the game upon the epiphany that it's one giant rng. That isn't an ARPG, that's just a glorified game of Facebook Slot Machine DuJour. I realize I keep hanging on to that whole slot machine thing, but it seems to be the most apt comparison, some people inevitably get more/higher quality drops than the norm, some inevitably get fewer/weaker drops than the norm. Law of the averages and all that. Same applies to slot machines, you can't trick a slot machine into winning, you can't trick D3 into giving you the item X Y or Z that you want and you can't guarantee that said item will even be worth the time and "effort" you put into trying to acquire it because it can roll like pure 100% horse shit. Throw in the fact that Smart Loot only works on 85% of drops and you've got one hell of a fun time.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Ninmecu said:
No, the drop weighting does not make up for it. If you're after a specific build because it's a playstyle you actually enjoy, you've got to play the slot machines and hope against hope that you get the item you want.
That's just the way it works in these kind of games. You've just got to work with what you get and gradually work towards that gear intensive build that you like.

As for your counter argument regarding targetable farming - That's no different than saying "well you can just kill all sorts of mobs or go after pots to get stuff!" Kadala doesn't guarantee any particular item after any period of time or shards spent.
And neither does any form of targetable farming. The law of averages says you should get it after X attempts but there's nothing stopping you getting it in half or double the time. That's just the way RNG works.

IF and only IF she was the only part of the game that was so RNG based(Don't try and claim I'm against RNG, what I'm against is the layers of RNG that are completely unnecessary.), that would be perfectly acceptable, I would have NO complaints. However, she's just another form of RNG on top of layers upon layers of RNG.
The only additional layer of RNG that Diablo 3 has is that you can get 1-3 random affixes. Factoring in the mystic it takes it down to 0-2 but if you also consider that 1-2 are usually secondary affixes then it's down to 0-1 undesirable affix. And even if you get stuck with cooldown reduction on your Shard of Hate it's still a very good item that could take you to T6.

They didn't advertise and I'll admit, it's largely anecdotal, but I was running T1 during the month leading to ROS going live and was getting a much larger number of legendary drops than I was getting the week leading up to my quitting the game upon the epiphany that it's one giant rng. That isn't an ARPG, that's just a glorified game of Facebook Slot Machine DuJour.
Could easily put that down as you just getting the rough end of RNG.

I realize I keep hanging on to that whole slot machine thing, but it seems to be the most apt comparison, some people inevitably get more/higher quality drops than the norm, some inevitably get fewer/weaker drops than the norm. Law of the averages and all that. Same applies to slot machines, you can't trick a slot machine into winning, you can't trick D3 into giving you the item X Y or Z that you want and you can't guarantee that said item will even be worth the time and "effort" you put into trying to acquire it because it can roll like pure 100% horse shit. Throw in the fact that Smart Loot only works on 85% of drops and you've got one hell of a fun time.
All smart loot, in that regard, does is give you your main stat. So 85% will have your main stat and of that remaining 15%, 33% that drop with a main stat will be your main stat. And sure, you may have to have that gg item drop for you a few times before it has everything you want but those odds are still much higher than the alternative. I've put in plenty of hours since RoS has come out and there's only been 1 desirable item that had rolls I'd consider "pure 100% horse shit". And that was a Xephirian Amulet that rolled with both life regen and life on hit. Even still, it has it's uses. Trading in a chunk of damage for invulnerability is a good trade off.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
To celebrate my memory of that shittastic launch, I too will be doing double drop rates, right in my bathroom.
And there will be the two shits I give for Diablo 3.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Ninmecu said:
They have something like an 11% chance of dropping their "Legendary crafting material" on torment 1, or "Normal" difficulty if you break down the difficulty scale - And as Shadow-Phoenix pointed out, crafted items have the same bullshit "lolrandom" stat range of every other item, combined with a 4 primary affix pool and 2 secondary affix pool as a maximum, the whole game just screams "Too many cooks." (For the uninformed, primaries are everything and anything that is universally useful, IE STR/VIT/DEX/INT etc, with differing stat possibilities based on the item(s) slot in question. Secondaries are universally worthless, unless you're a monk using the One With Everything talent. In which case you only care that one secondary stat is there and it's the same thing, ie stacking poison resistance (which is a secondary stat).)
Dude, no way. Thorns are the best stat in the game, and it's secondary.

I'm totally not just saying that cuz I play a thorns Crusader. No sirree. Definitely not.

>_>

Ninmecu said:
To put that % into perspective, the average boss kill on Torment 1 for someone who's got about 5-10 hours played at max level is about 5 minutes, the only thing that's really "special" about the craftable legendaries is they guarantee 6 affixes with the 4/2 model. The other max level craftable roll completely random with anything from 2/2 to 4/2, different each and every time. God it's the perfect game for people with gambling addictions.
If, with a set of mediocre-to-good yellow gear (which you really should have after ~3 hours tops), it takes you 5 minutes to kill any non-multi-stage boss on t1, you really need to learn how the play the game. It should never take more than 2-3 minutes for a boss unless you're playing on difficulties well beyond what your gear can support.

That said, I mostly agree with you on the randomness. There's very little in the way of concrete goals to work toward, because there's no guarantee that whatever you do end up getting won't just blow donkey balls. The (crafted at least, if not all of them) legendaries would really benefit from having a more concrete framework, with, say, 4 of their 6 stats always being guaranteed to be particular types and the last two free rolls. That would eliminate a great deal of the problems with crafting and builds in general.