Producers Say To Harrison Ford 'Please Be In Our Blade Runner Sequel'

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Producers Say To Harrison Ford 'Please Be In Our Blade Runner Sequel'

Is Ford available? Disney may beg to differ.

"We believe that Hampton Fancher and Michael Green have crafted with Ridley Scott an extraordinary sequel to one of the greatest films of all time," say producers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove of Alcon Entertainment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108194-Book-of-Eli-Studio-in-Talks-to-Buy-Blade-Runner-Rights], hard at work on the Blade Runner sequel. "We would be honored, and we are hopeful, that Harrison will be part of our project." The script's written and everything's pretty much good to go; all the film needs now is a lead. Please?

It's rare for a production company to publicly ask, if not beg, for an actor's involvement. If this bid fails, it could jeopardize the project, and it's not as if Ford hasn't got one or two other things to do right now. In fact, assuming Disney doesn't intend to kill off Han Solo in the first movie - and Disney would sooner saw Mickey in half in front of a live studio audience - Ford's almost certainly signed up for the two other Star Wars movies to follow. Disney CEO Bob Iger [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129229-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Its-2015-Or-Bust-Says-Disneys-CEO]'s made it very clear that the franchise train will run on time, and that means three new movies over a six year period with two spin-offs. Ford's bound to be involved at some level; the only question is whether or not he can fit in other projects.

Of course if he can't then that means no Rick Deckard, and that puts a huge hole in the Blade Runner sequel. Set several decades after the original - Ford, it should be remembered, is 71, one of the reasons why his time as Indiana Jones may be about to come to an end [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133248-Rumor-Indiana-Jones-5-Might-Recast-Indy-Ditch-Harrison-Ford] - the film features a script provided by one of the co-writers of the 1982 original and, naturally, Ridley Scott himself. All it needs now is a lead. Is he available? Alcon needs to know.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/harrison-ford-sought-reprise-classic-704422]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Meh, I don't really want to see Harrison Ford in anything anymore. He's become a boring, dried up, emotionless grandpa. Not that there's anything terribly wrong with that, but an actor generally needs to express something, and Ford looks like he just doesn't give a shit about his craft anymore.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Question that ends up spoiling the movie:

Wasnt a big point of Blade Runner not knowing for sure if Deckard was a replicant or not (meaning that the replicants are just as human)? Having any mention of what he actually was in a sequel kind of ruins that.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Meh, I don't really want to see Harrison Ford in anything anymore. He's become a boring, dried up, emotionless grandpa. Not that there's anything terribly wrong with that, but an actor generally needs to express something, and Ford looks like he just doesn't give a shit about his craft anymore.
Well, that pretty much described the studio-mandated narrations he provided in the theatrical cut of Blade Runner. He couldn't have sounded more bored or disinterested.

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
This. Frankly, I have no idea why he even still acts at all. It's plainly obvious from all of his recent performances that he just doesn't give a flying f*ck. He must surely have plenty of money behind him by now (unless he squandered it away or something), so why does he keep on acting?

CAPTCHA: "let go"
Hmm... maybe that's what Harrison needs to do.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
"And all the studios, nerds and franchises will look up and shout 'save us! And I'll whisper: No.'"

Ford was not wild about his time on Blade Runner. And with his role in Star Wars, he hardly needs the pay day. Thankfully I can see him skipping this one.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
STENDEC1 said:
Casual Shinji said:
This. Frankly, I have no idea why he even still acts at all. It's plainly obvious from all of his recent performances that he just doesn't give a flying f*ck. He must surely have plenty of money behind him by now (unless he squandered it away or something), so why does he keep on acting?

CAPTCHA: "let go"
Hmm... maybe that's what Harrison needs to do.
Want to know where the money went, 3 divorces and 5 children

Finomans

Oct 25, 2013
Just so you guys know, this is what he said on Reddit in an AMA last month:

"I'm quite curious and excited about seeing a new script for Blade Runner if in fact the opportunity would exist to do another, if it's a good script I would be very anxious to work with Ridley Scott again, he's a very talented and passionate filmmaker. And I think it would be very interesting to revisit the character."

and I'd love to see an other Blade Runner... if it's good.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The ambiguities of Blade Runner are a part of what have made it enduring. Clarifying those ambiguities threatens to make, well, Prometheus.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
First: No one wants a sequel to Blade Runner. A sequel would ruin the ending of the first movie. Blade Runner is from a time when people attempted to do movies in some original manner. Not like now, how they follow a set procedure on movies and sequels that almost always end up abysmal.

Second: They should do their best to make it it's own movie rather than simply attempt to sell tickets by making sure the original cast is intact... 32 years later.

Third: This article has really brought out the cynic in me, I'm very disappointed with myself on that front.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Nooo...what's wrong with having a decent movie? Why must it be turned into a franchise and given a good kicking?

Leave it alone. Christ, make a new, original movie. Remember when they used to do that?

josemlopes said:

Wasnt a big point of Blade Runner not knowing for sure if Deckard was a replicant or not (meaning that the replicants are just as human)? Having any mention of what he actually was in a sequel kind of ruins that.
Eh, supposedly it depends on which version you watch. IMHO, it depends on whether you come across people pointing it out afterwards, because there's not really that much in any of them.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Nooo...what's wrong with having a decent movie? Why must it be turned into a franchise and given a good kicking?

Leave it alone. Christ, make a new, original movie. Remember when they used to do that?

josemlopes said:

Eh, supposedly it depends on which version you watch. IMHO, it depends on whether you come across people pointing it out afterwards, because there's not really that much in any of them.
In second viewing I think it gets clear enough that the idea is there with the dream and the miniature(at least if that part is included in whatever version is being watched). At first viewing its really hard get it, you are right.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I don't think this is likely to be a problem. An actor can do multiple movies in one year, he'll just have to do them at different times of the year (maybe one in summer and one in winter).

P.S. Thanks

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Blade Runner sequel?
Ahahaahahahahahahahaha
No.
No!
NO, FOR GOD'S SAKE, NO!

For God's sake, Hollywood, make a Citizen Kane remake with ten sequels too, while you're at it! Make a sequel to Scarface with Al Pacino. REBOOT GODFATHER. Because WHY THE FUCK NOT?

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
No. Just No. Ford is way to stoned out of his mind to give a shit and it shows. If you really have to, do it without Ford

ColdinT

Apr 8, 2009
I'm pretty sure Disney actually had to really work to convince Harrison Ford to sign on for just one of the new Star Wars movies. As I recall, there was a lot of questions whether he would be in or not. I doubt then that he's already committed to a second and third film. Even then, at best Ford is just going to have cameo roles and not be a major player.

That said, I honestly believe Ford loves acting. (Though he may not have loved his decision to do a 4th Indy movie.) If he seems uncomfortable or lethargic in interviews, that's because he's actually a relatively shy person. He loves the work, but not really the publicity that goes along with it.

Anyway, I'd be pretty excited to see him in a movie that didn't have JJ Abrams directing it. :)

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
I don't think Blade Runner needs a sequel, it is fine as it is. Why not just make a standalone other top notch dystiopian movie instead of jeopardizing a cool title with an unneeded second part.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
No. We do not need another Blade Runner, it was fine as it is. Seriously, why must every popular thing become a franchise nowadays?

Hey Hollywood, how about a Neuromancer film instead?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i love blade runner but i dont see how a sequel can do it justice. ford or no ford, it just isnt needed.