MovieBob Reviews All 29 Previous Godzilla Movies (Part 1)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob Reviews All 29 Previous Godzilla Movies (Part 1)

In the first part of a look back at the previous Godzilla movies, MovieBob examines the Showa series from 1954-1975.

Read Full Article

Henson

May 19, 2011
Quote under original Gojira: "makes a lot of it more interesting to analyze than to analyze", needs fix.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Henson said:
Quote under original Gojira: "makes a lot of it more interesting to analyze than to analyze", needs fix.
It's a fun read, but it could've done with another pass in editorial, to be honest. Quite a lot of typos and errors in this one. It's sloppier than I've come to expect from this site.
This Week: The Heisei Series (Godzilla "eras" are generally named for the emperor of Japan at the time of their production), i.e. the original run of Godzilla installments that ran from 1954 to 1975.
Next Week: The Heisei and Millenium series.
Apparently this week and next week are the Heisei series! Even more confusing because the text for Terror of Mechagodzilla refers to these movies as the Showa era, so I've no idea how that mistake at the beginning got through.

Also, I don't like to be too critical, but the screencaps are really crappy for the most part, especially for Godzilla 1. Is that his mouth?

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
This reminds me of when James Rolfe did Godzillathon a few years back for his annual "Monster Madness" video series.

Still, good article.

Hot Madness

May 20, 2009
Gonna nitpick a little, the original '54-'75 run was the Showa series. '84-'95 was Heisei. Probably a typo, but you never know.

blackaesir

May 16, 2014
Yes, he accidentally says Heisei instead of Showa up front. He has it right for part two. No biggie.

I actually really liked the two Mechagodzilla movies. The final fight in the first one is actually kinda brutal. The human plot is surprisingly dark for "Terror of Mechagodzilla". Both are well worth the watch.

I have no love for Manilla, but the really interesting thing about "Son of Godzilla" is that the humans are jerks. Seriously, the kidnap Godzilla's babysitter, screw up his island's weather, make all the other creatures on the island more dangerous and then try and freeze him into hybernation at the end. The Big G gets a freebie stomp on Tokyo after that as far as I am concerned.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
MovieBob said:
(there wouldn't be a truly great installment again until the 90s)
You seriously don't consider Godzilla 1985 great?

It's an amazing movie that I wish I owned on dvd.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Godzilla vs the Smog Monster has always been one of my favorites in the series. That movie is bananas.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Some of those Showa period movies are just insane. And not always the good type insane. Although Godzilla v Mothra and Godzilla v King Kong remain to of my favorite G movies. And yeah Godzilla 1985 was a good one, although I took Bob's point more to be that the mid 90's Heisei stuff was just so much better.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Interesting enough, the Cinema Snob's latest review is of Godzilla's Revenge and it truly seems like a facepalm-inducing stinker.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Destroy All Monsters is my favorite easily, for good and bad reasons ranging from the sheer amount of fan service, the end fight, the over the top characters, the constant cliches, the moronic military etc.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
JCAll said:
Godzilla vs the Smog Monster has always been one of my favorites in the series. That movie is bananas.
That was my very first Godzilla movie ever as a very young child. Hedorah's design and the images of smog and polluted waters left a lasting impression on me. Time to watch it again along with a bunch of others.

Tune in next week when Bob reviews this animated gem:

Most noteworthy comment on that video's page
The only thing good about this show was the theme song and Godzooky managed to fuck that up too.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Jim_Callahan said:
SupahGamuh said:
Interesting enough, the Cinema Snob's latest review is of Godzilla's Revenge and it truly seems like a facepalm-inducing stinker.
In fairness, if there's one distinguishing characteristic of the genre itself beyond "big monsters wreck shit" it's basically "you don't have to be a GOOD movie to be an AWESOME movie". Pretty much all of them (with maybe the exception of the first) are terrible in the production values, writing, acting, etc senses, but a good 3/4 of them are entertaining despite that.

Kaiju movies are to the larger disaster/horror genre basically what kung-fu tournament movies are to the larger action movie genre. They're not really the subgenre you look to for 'quality', they're the genre you look to for extremely narrow niche appeal. Giant monsters wrecking shit for no apparent reason is just their version of 'twenty minute hand-to-hand fight scene for no reason'.
I don't mind dated effects and I don't mind movies that are "so bad they're good", but specifically Godzilla's Revenge, just like Bob said in his article, is a shitty japanese PSA against bullies that happens to include Godzilla in it (and Manilla... god I hate that mother fucker) and pretty much 90% of the film is stock footage of previous better films, with the other 10% composed of a kid having hallucinations (even while being kidnapped by robbers) of Godzilla and... *sigh* Manilla talking to him.

So yeah, my point still stands, a facepalm inducing stinker that even insults the minds of 7 year olds.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Thanks, interesting read. Have SO many movies and TV series and games still left to give some time too that I'll probably never will see these...