The Last of Us PS3 vs. PS4 - "Like DVD vs. Blu-ray" Says Naughty Dog

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Last of Us PS3 vs. PS4 - "Like DVD vs. Blu-ray" Says Naughty Dog

The Last of Us' PS4 HD remaster was a lot more work than Naughty Dog anticipated.

"I wish we had a button that was like 'Turn On PS4 Mode', but no," The Last of Us creative director Neil Druckmann told Edge Online [http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-last-of-it-naughty-dog-on-bringing-the-last-of-us-to-ps4/]. "We expected it to be Hell, and it was Hell. Just getting an image onscreen, even an inferior one with the shadows broken, lighting broken and with it crashing every 30 seconds... that took a long time." But, in the end Druckmann says the effort has been well worth it, as the difference between the two versions of the game is night and day.

"[It is] akin to looking at a DVD versus Blu-ray," claims Druckmann. The Last of Us PS4 version will use the PS3 version's high-definition cutsene models as the in-game player models, and while Druckmann says that the subtler details will be wasted when the camera sits so far from players, every detail counts at 1080p.

"Star Wars comes to mind. I'm more of a fan of the original cut and Han Solo shooting first.

As for fans who are worried the team will take this opportunity to make edits to the game, Druckmann says that The Last of Us' PS4 version will be an untouched port. "We have a really hard time playing the game, because we constantly see things and think, 'Oh, man, I could've done that better, I could've written that better, that animation pop over there, that transition...' but once you start going down that road, where do you stop? At what point are you making the experience just different or worse?"

Druckmann also says the team is having a hard time highlighting the differences between the two games through traditional advertising methods. "We have the game running in 1080p at 60fps, and YouTube brings it down to 30fps and does a compression on it, and it's hard to tell the difference."

In the end, he says that this will absolutely be the definitive version of the game, as although "It's not a totally brand-new experience ... [it] is much closer to how the director and the team initially saw it."

Source: Edge Online [http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-last-of-it-naughty-dog-on-bringing-the-last-of-us-to-ps4/]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I'm actually looking forward to seeing what improvements they've made to this title. I'll probably pick it up after I've paid off my car insurance.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Charcharo said:
So... does that mean that if there was a PC version it would be a Super Blu Ray then (discoutning future emulation of PS4 which would indeed look better then what the PS4 can do)?

They are spot on about YouTube though :p ... wish it was possible for there to be less copression :(
I don't know, maybe?, assuming from 10 years from now that PS4 emulation is 100% legal.

Sounds more like you're in here just to go "oh that's nice but I;d rather emulate it on PC because that's my preferred platform and I like to make that known so I'll gladly not buy any of it and emulate it for free in the near future".

Also quit with the held hostage BS, PC has their games held hostage and this gen is "so alike" in architecture so really again the older PC games are still being "held hostage", really shitty way of complaining to something you could just easily buy in the end and actually support, but hey that's obviously quite beneath you.

And I know you say "will want to play it on PS4 though", then why the whole talk of it being emulated?, it;s like saying a false sorry but you didn't mean it which means you're going to emulate it anyway, how do we know you're going to play it on PS4?, take your word for it?.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
George Superguin said:
Like DvD vs. Blu-ray? So, incredibly overpriced and with barely any visible difference?
I'm the last guy to defend console games and PR talk, but what you're saying is bs. Even 720p vids look much better than a DVD.
I don't know how the PS3 version is running, but if, let's say, they bring it from 720p/30fps to 1080p/60fps, then the game will look and feel much better.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I can tell you just by playing Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn on both the PS3 and PS4:

The PS4 is a FAR better machine and it can handle those animations, cutscenes and details so much better. I'm not a fan of this game, but at least I can say that people that ARE fans of this game and that have a PS4 will not be disappointed. Not in the slightest.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Shame the PS4 isn't backwards compatible, then the DVD-Bluray comparison could mean "like putting in the PS3 version and having it upscaled to 1080p anyway, even though it isn't natively so". But it's not, so I see what they're saying.

It's strange to me that Naughty Dog, absolute masters of Sony architecture, are bringing a game that was impressive for doing everything it could with the CELL and 256mb RAM to the new x86 architecture as their first PS4 game. I'm sure it's nerve wracking if they're taking the source code and making TLoO as if it were a native PS4 game as opposed to straight up porting it and raising the resolution/fps, which I hope the former is happening.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
I can't afford a PS4 right now (and the Wii U is going to be my next console purchase anyway) but when I do eventually get one this will be the first game I play on it. The Last Of Us looked great on the PS3 but it was clear they were struggling hard against the upper limit of what the hardware was capable of.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Charcharo said:
Fortunately, as a person that has bought the PS3 and MAYBE (if its cheap) can get a PS4 version later, I will be honest here: I do not care whether in 10-20-30 ( NOT near future mate...) years it is considered legal. My own head will be free of worry, I already payed once (or maybe twice) by then for the game. So, for me personally, it wont matter.

The games hostage part: that is to a certain extent an actual monetary problem for PC developers AND a problem of console manufacturers. For an example, technically, the PS4 and Xbox One should be able to have mods. They should also be able to play STALKER. They cant though. Explain that. The hardware itself works with the game. But the OSes do not.
And publishing a game on PC is free. On consoles it is not. So it is not the same thing :p
We've been over that before not too long ago so you should know where I stand on that. What emotion you attach to something does not, and never will make it correct.

Many games "held hostage" would likely not have been made if not for their "captors". This nonsense is laughable especially when people who say such things are normally part of that group of PC gamers who get all in a huff n' puff when one of their internet darlings debuts on a console for the first time.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Charcharo said:
So... does that mean that if there was a PC version it would be a Super Blu Ray then (discoutning future emulation of PS4 which would indeed look better then what the PS4 can do)?
No, if it was a PC game it would have been released as early access 2 years ago for $30 and look worse then the PS3 version. After 2 years of trying to help the 90% of PC users with shit computers Naughty Dog would have gone out of buisness, EA would have bought them out and stripped their developer base, released it on a Fremium model with MMORPG elements, and required you to have Origin to play it.

Oh and after 2 weeks the 90% of PC gamers who are criminal pirates will have stripped out all the DLC requirements and made sure the game will never turn a profit even in it's stripped down state, and killed the IP.

But yeah, thankfully that didn't happen.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'd say the most notable difference between PS3/4 and BD/DVD is that I can watch my Star Wars[footnote]Or pick your movie of choice, but I saw Star Wars references[/footnote] DVDs on a BD player. It may not be as sharp or fluid, but I don't need to spend another 40-60 bucks just to play the game on a new system. You don't need to keep your old player to play your old games, and you can upgrade with a built-in collection.

In short, BD changes are completely up to the end users: if they want better picture and possibly sound[footnote]depending on the audio choices[/footnote], they can opt in. For a PS4 user, these changes are not.

Well, at least they didn't wipe out TLOU PS3 from existence, so I guess there's that.

Charcharo said:
Fortunately, as a person that has bought the PS3 and MAYBE (if its cheap) can get a PS4 version later, I will be honest here: I do not care whether in 10-20-30 ( NOT near future mate...) years it is considered legal. My own head will be free of worry, I already payed once (or maybe twice) by then for the game. So, for me personally, it wont matter.
Long as you're aware you're not talking legal emulation anymore.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Charcharo said:
NiPah said:
Charcharo said:
No, if it was a PC game it would have been released as early access 2 years ago for $30 and look worse then the PS3 version. After 2 years of trying to help the 90% of PC users with shit computers Naughty Dog would have gone out of buisness, EA would have bought them out and stripped their developer base, released it on a Fremium model with MMORPG elements, and required you to have Origin to play it.

Oh and after 2 weeks the 90% of PC gamers who are criminal pirates will have stripped out all the DLC requirements and made sure the game will never turn a profit even in it's stripped down state, and killed the IP.

But yeah, thankfully that didn't happen.
Quite the strange exageration.
Though TLOU itself is a relatively poor looking game :( . Does not stop it from being quite damned good though.
Oh I wasn't saying TLOU was a bad looking game, it's quite a good looking game.
I was just saying it would have looked like crap if it was made for the PC.

going off of what you said before if it was made directly for PC it would have looked like the 240p Russian car cam uploaded on Youtube with the "free use" watermark, instead of the DVD PS3 or BD PS4.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
So basically they are telling me I would be wasting more of my time if I were to get the PS4 version, good to know! Sorry, but if the great new feature of the port is "looks slightly better!" that won't be cracking my wallet open very far.