Sony Wants Your Suggestions to Improve PlayStation 4

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Sony Wants Your Suggestions to Improve PlayStation 4

Do you know how to make your PS4 or Vita better? Sony wants to hear about it.
There is now [a href="http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/"]a place[/a] for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita owners to voice their ideas on how to make their systems better. Users can make suggestions for improving their gaming experiences on the PlayStation blog, as well as vote and comment of the ideas of other users. The site mainly functions as a way to formally gather the wishes of community and Sony isn't making promises to fulfill any of the requests, no matter how popular.

According to Sony, all submissions are reviewed in order to discard repeat, similar, or unrealistic suggestions. Users can only submit one idea per week, so there are only 92 ideas posted at this time. The site includes a leaderboard for the users whose propositions receive the most votes and other tools for browsing suggestions. Sony also stresses that Share is not a list of goals to achieve, but functions as a "reference point that helps internal SCEA employees survey interest and trends."

PlayStation.Blog Share isn't a new feature for Sony; a similar system was in place for the PS3 and PSP. After gathering suggestions for four years on those platforms, only the PS4 and Vita are open for discussion. If you are interested in viewing the suggestions for the older hardware, the archived submissions are still [a href="http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/archived-ideas/"]available to read[/a].

Some of the most popular suggestions at the time of this post are the ability to change usernames (something Xbox owners have had for some time) and to remove games from a user's Trophy history. What do you think would make a great addition to Sony's platforms? What needs to be changed?

Source: [a href="http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/"]PlayStation.Blog Share[/a]

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
The big one for me right now is speeding up the chat party creation process. It's not infuriatingly long, but I would definitely appreciate a quicker method than going through several screens of confirmation.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Backwards compatibility or emulation for my massive PS1 and PS2 library would be a great start. That's truly what I want most.

Somehow allowing external harddrives would also be appreciated as that 500 GB starts to fill up FAST...

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Trishbot said:
Backwards compatibility or emulation for my massive PS1 and PS2 library would be a great start. That's truly what I want most.

Somehow allowing external harddrives would also be appreciated as that 500 GB starts to fill up FAST...
Those are my biggest requests right now as well. I'm surprised that they aren't at the top of the votes.

Edit: I looked over and apparently PS2 compatibility hasn't made it through. It must fall under the "unrealistic" category. I can't say I'm surprised.

Deu Sex

Aug 26, 2012
Backwards compatability, backwards compatibility and backwards compatibility.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
The ability to stream games from PS4 to Vita on the go. Unlikely but if they found a way that would be awesome.
Also:
Changing username
More goodies for us UK players (PS Now, larger slection of PS1/2 titles)
View trophies without having to come out of the game and wait for sync

I love my PS4 but there are a few little quirks which I liked about my 360. I am sure Sony will fix them so won't mention them all but things like party chat and such should be more user friendly.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Dear Sony.

Please get somebody to make a decent GTA clone, or better yet sweet talk Rockstar into doing it, for the Vita.
I will then happily buy one, because seriously, I love having a decent GTA like game on a portable device.

If you can then convince Polyphony to make a version of Gran Turismo for the Vita, I will be even more happy.

Regards
Somebody who really really wants a vita, but can't justify it when there's no games he wants for the fornicating thing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
How are the Memory Card insane prices not in there at least once? It's still over $2/GB in a world where I can get a multiple TB drive for under $100 and any other Memory Card for around $.50/GB without even doing anything more than a quick Amazon search? A 400% markup is not acceptable. Heck, even a 64GB Micro stick is under $40 but a Vita is nearly $120. That's three times the cost. In what world is limiting our ability to store games going to make the company more money when we can't hold more than a couple games on the standard card, if even two.

Lokoloshe

Nov 8, 2010
Being able to stream my PS vita games on to the TV thru the PS4. It already works PS4 to Vita via remote play so it shouldnt be too hard to make it function both ways.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I asked for automatic HDCP switching... though in hindsight, I don't care about that since I don't capture my PS4. I should've asked for voice controls for blu-ray player.

P.S. Thanks

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
For the Vita-
Stop with the overly expensive propreitary memory crap. It's way too expensive to do anything, and makes having a Vita useless for digital stuff.
Next up, actually market and make the damn thing worth while to have in North American regions. In NTSC regions, the Vita has limited support on PS1 games, and rarely things get localized. Thank goodness the system isn't region locked, otherwise it'd be utter BS. Hell, in NTSC regions you can't even put the Crash Bandicoot or the Spyro the Dragon games on your Vita, and that's just sad.

For PS4-
Fix the account issue with allowing people to make their accounts master accounts. Seriously Sony, you do realize that many people who made their accounts back with the PS3 are old enough to buy their own stuff and shouldn't need to have a master account for something else in order to add money to it, etc.
And the ability for backwards compatibility with at least PS1 games would be nice, for PS2 it's hit or miss, but it isn't "unrealistic" as you put it Sony.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Covarr said:
I asked for automatic HDCP switching... though in hindsight, I don't care about that since I don't capture my PS4. I should've asked for voice controls for blu-ray player.

P.S. Thanks
They already did the HDCP switching, so you can record your PS4 now with capture cards. The update was in April, because I had to update my Elgato and ArcSoft systems to be able to record PS4. You can switch it in the settings by disabling HDCP encryption on the HDMI port, but it only works for games, which is what I need. Means I can now get a PS4 since it was one of the main reasons I wasn't getting one before. XD

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Neronium said:
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
They already did the HDCP switching, so you can record your PS4 now with capture cards. The update was in April, because I had to update my Elgato and ArcSoft systems to be able to record PS4. You can switch it in the settings by disabling HDCP encryption on the HDMI port, but it only works for games, which is what I need. Means I can now get a PS4 since it was one of the main reasons I wasn't getting one before. XD
Key word in my post: automatic. Ideally, it should be auto-enabled for Netflix, Blu-Ray movies, etc. and disabled for games. Having to change a setting constantly like that is a pain.

P.S. Thanks

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Get rid of that 50$ price hike you did which made it cheaper to buy an Xbox One here in Canada. Now that they're set to release an Xbone without the Kinect added on, the price gap goes from "almost nothing but just slightly in Microsoft's favor" to "completely in Microsoft's favor".

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
JimmyPage666 said:
or at least something to remedy the fact that 500GB is nowhere near enough, was asked for since the PS4s specs were announced.
While adding external hard drive support would be nice, Sony has something to remedy the fact that 500 GB isn't enough on the PS4, and that's the ability to easily change the HDD to anything you want because all the PS4 uses is a 2.5" SATA II HDD. It's really easy to do, and you could do it with the PS3 as well.
I'm not saying that external HDD support wouldn't be more convenient, I'd quite like it as well, but I say that the ability to change the internal HDD to a larger size or even an SSD is still good to do.