Pokemon Gold & Silver Remakes Hit America In 2010

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Pokemon Gold & Silver Remakes Hit America In 2010

Pokemon SoulSilver and HeartGold may be coming out in Japan next month, but would-be trainers in North America and Europe will have to wait until spring 2010 to catch 'em all (again).

CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=221393] was apparently at the Pokemon Center in Osaka, Japan last week (presumably to get their Pokemon healed up to full health), and reports that while Nintendo will be releasing the remakes of Pokemon Gold & Silver in Japan next month - September 19th, to be precise - gamers in everywhere-that-isn't-Japan will have to wait quite a bit longer: SoulSilver and HeartGold won't be coming to North America or Europe until Spring 2010.

Spring 2010, eh? So, that's March at the earliest, May at the latest, which seems a bit puzzling to me. Surely translating a Pokemon game - much less a remake - into English can't take six months, can it? "Meganium used Razor Leaf - it's super effective!" seems pretty straightforward to me.

While most console games seem to be avoiding the holiday season this year (and hilariously overcrowding Spring 2010), you'd think that Pokemon of all series would be immune to the Modern Warfare 2 juggernaut. More than that, it's the perfect game for a stressed-out parent to get their kid for the holidays. Why miss out on the lucrative holiday season, Nintendo?

Ah well. To many Pokemon trainers, Gold and Silver are the most beloved games in the franchise, introducing concepts like breeding your Pokemon, day and night cycles, and giving the player not just one, but two entire regions to explore: After completing the Johto Pokemon League, you can go back and traverse the Kanto region from Pokemon Red & Blue. It also raised the amount of 'Mons in the game from 151 to 251.

Then, of course, you have the disgruntled "purists" who refuse to enjoy any Pokemon but the original 151 because they're grumpy like that. But hey, their loss.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Woot, I can now get another Tyranitar for my collection. I'm sure the release isn't because of translation or the market or anything like that, they just want to be dicks about it to people who don't speak Japanese.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
By spring, I might have money to spend on this game. Besides, I don't mind waiting. It just means that the remakes should be fully polished by the time of their release.

And nuts to the purists. Sure, you get about a hundred filler Pokemon with the addition of the fourth gen (Bidoof...), but they also miss out on the more unique gems from later generations. Like Skarmory, Gardevoir, and Lucario.

Poketom

Apr 14, 2009
Yaaaaay! Despite the fact i've known this for ages it still makes me happy to hear it every time.

Feb 8, 2009
I've known this, but still, YAAAAAY!

Now I can finally get a Tyranitar without having to buy a router and trade over wi-fi. I'm cheap.

Oh yeah, and I guess the game will be great too. Seeing as I played the original for most of my 8th year of life.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Is it weird that I'm looking forward to this almost as much as The Old Republic?

N... naah... that's not weird...

hansari

May 31, 2009
I thought every Pokemon game was a remake of the last... cause, you know...you do the same thing.

(start with one pokemon, then fight gym trainers, collect all pokemon)

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Good... my gameboy color pokemon silver crapped out on me. And that was the only reason I kept the ole color.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I've never wanted a game more.

Gold was the first real game I ever owned.

I don't even own a ds, I just have to have this.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I can never understand why it takes so long to get a Japanese game over here, in the West, these days there shouldn't be more than a few months extra to wait but even the biggest companies like Nintendo and Square Enix often take up to a year extra, there's no good reason for it.

ObadiahBlack

Sep 23, 2008
I'm just glad to finally know the American release, regardless of how far away it is. Gold and Silver were monumental stepping stones in the Pokemon series, and while I cannot condone the act of remaking, Gold and Silver were two games that would surely deserve the improved graphics and ideas.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
hansari said:
I thought every Pokemon game was a remake of the last... cause, you know...you do the same thing.

(start with one pokemon, then fight gym trainers, collect all pokemon)
Kind of like an FPS. Or and RPG. Or an RTS. Or (I'm sure you get the point, I'm just teasing though)

CantFaketheFunk said:
Then, of course, you have the disgruntled "purists" who refuse to enjoy any Pokemon but the original 151 because they're grumpy like that. But hey, their loss.
Oh come now, Mr Funk. Everyone knows that everything after Gold and Silver was blasphemy.

I won't be buying this though, my friend has challenged me on both RBY and GSC, and he needs to be put in his place. He's a cheap bastard though, so I need to make sure I have my super team ready.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Only after Silver and Gold did the milking properly start, they didn't add anything properly significant, even sacrificing my beloved Flygon would be worth it for them to have not released anymore until this one then nobody would complain about all this.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
Phenakist said:
Only after Silver and Gold did the milking properly start, they didn't add anything properly significant, even sacrificing my beloved Flygon would be worth it for them to have not released anymore until this one then nobody would complain about all this.
NOOOOOO. Nothing is worth sacrificing Flygon. [/kidding]

OT: I don't have a DS so all of this is meh to me.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
god, milk it some moar?

its bad enough they release 2 games at once and people buy both, but all these remakes of multiple realeased titles is silly...

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Yo.

After Mew, you've totally lost me.

I'll stick with my FireRed and LeafGreen, thank you - the only worthwhile Pokemon remakes.

>__>

<__<

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
I'm looking forward to this, especially if it comes with the pedometer you can use to train your pokemon. That would help me lose weight, for sure.