MovieBob Reviews All 29 Previous Godzilla Movies (Part 2)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
MovieBob Reviews All 29 Previous Godzilla Movies (Part 2)

MovieBob continues his look back at previous Godzilla movies. All 29 of them!

Read Full Article

Deimir

Jul 3, 2008
Reading through these reviews it surprises me just how many of them I saw growing up, apparently my local Blockbuster was better stocked on Godzilla VHS's than I remember.

I don't know if there's enough time before the movie comes out, but any chance we could get a blow-by-blow analysis of the new Guardians Of The Galaxy trailer? I really enjoy those articles.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Love GMK, Godzilla kicks the crap out of them multiple times in the movie. Also liked Millenium with Orga and vs Megarguaries. I think those were movies i can re watch in full as the editing and writing was at a higher standard. The older ones i normally fast forward to the fights as they are the best part. But then a few beers and a group of friends over can make for a fun night in. :)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Deimir said:
I don't know if there's enough time before the movie comes out, but any chance we could get a blow-by-blow analysis of the new Guardians Of The Galaxy trailer? I really enjoy those articles.
That and also something about the characters and places in it for those that dont read the comics.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I remember the last big Godzilla film I watched was Godzilla 2000, and Biolante was probably my favorite overall.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
For those that haven't seen most of these, SONY just released a series of 4 BluRay 2 movie disks that cover the majority of the Heisei and Milenium era stuff. The only ones missing from these new releases are Godzilla 1985, Godzilla vs Biolante, Godzilla 2000, GMK and Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2002. Sadly not really much in the way of bonus features, although the transfers are gorgeous. They are on the shelves at most local big box stores like Walmart as we speak.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ha! Gainax! Good one, Bob. Among us anime fans, Gainax comes up with the weirdest story beats. There's even trope for that: Gainax Ending.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
Even if the 1998 movie really sucked, I enjoyed the refreshing design of Godzilla as more of a dinosaur than a weird monster. All Godzilla movies are going to be cheesy, it's what makes them fun. It was an attempt to not have that cheese as a fat lizard or a rubber man suit. All in all, I enjoyed the bolder design attempt despite the massive flop.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I loves me some Godzilla vs Biolante. It's easily my favorite monster design and the plot is just completely gonzo.

Also...I forgot how damn corny the American trailer for Godzilla 2000 was.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I think I watched Godzilla 1985 about 100 times as a kid... I had a VHS in my room (in the 80's that wasn't a generally common thing as I recall) and my parents let me rent that tape, I think I spent a whole weekend watching and rewinding it. Especially because it also came with the super-awesome Bambi meets Godzilla.
It also scared the bejeezus out of me and I had recurring nightmares of seeing Godzilla's head coming out of the ocean near my house (lived on an island off the tip of Florida). Still somewhat unnerved by the idea of Kaiju in general.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I wonder if people would have less hate towards the 98 Godzilla movie if, like me, it was also the first Godzilla movie they'd seen as a child, and therefore didn't feel like an imposter of "their" Godzilla. Because so far it's the only Godzilla movie I've seen that I've actually liked, and I've seen several others since then. To be honest, even including it on this list seems ridiculous considering how completely different it is from all the rest. Maybe if it had been made as a standalone movie with a different title it wouldn't get ridiculed the same way.

Lyvric said:
Even if the 1998 movie really sucked, I enjoyed the refreshing design of Godzilla as more of a dinosaur than a weird monster. All Godzilla movies are going to be cheesy, it's what makes them fun. It was an attempt to not have that cheese as a fat lizard or a rubber man suit. All in all, I enjoyed the bolder design attempt despite the massive flop.
Agreed, I don't think anyone can say honestly that the original/2014 Godzilla doesn't look lame by comparison. And the fact that it didn't shoot fire made it somewhat believable as a creature.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
I've always really liked Godzilla 98, despite it's flaws, and take every chance to defend it.
Of course, I've always really hated GMK, so maybe I just have weird taste.

Daniel Janhagen

Mar 28, 2011
I had no idea anyone thought of the Heisei Mechagodzilla movie as a low point. It's definitely in my top 5 Godzilla movies of all time. At one point it was the favourite, but I think I've grown to prefer both the Destroyah and Biollante ones, as well as the original.
Overall, the so called Heisei ones are miles ahead of the others though, in my mind. (Yes, the 90's rocked!)

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
To be honest, I never really considered the classic Godzilla and the 98 Godzilla as the same thing. Still the 98 version is awful, but I was never really offended by the idea of it. I think it is a movie that gets worse and worse in hind sight. The more you think of it the worse it gets, and it wasn't that good to begin with. But to its credit, there were a lot of sick visual effects for the time, and it did have some appeal as at the time, destroying a whole city was a newer trend.

Again, I am hardly defending that movie. I think the original Godzilla movies, as well as the ones following 98 had their charm, but who knows, maybe they will take a chance and we'll get a sick Godzilla 2. That at least had the balls to make this a Monster Vs. Monster movie which I hope becomes more of a trend.