Steam Controller Delayed to 2015

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Steam Controller Delayed to 2015

Valve says that it has received a lot of feedback regarding its controller, and needs a bit more time to perfect it.

"Delay" seems to be the month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134784-The-Order-1886-for-PS4-Delayed-to-2015] this May, as Valve has now also announced that despite initially aiming for a 2014 release window, it is now looking at 2015 for the release of its Steam controller.

"We're now using wireless prototype controllers to conduct live playtests, with everyone from industry professionals to die-hard gamers to casual gamers," Valve's Eric Hope said in a new update on Valve's Steam Machine hardware [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/1820891223906967821]. "It's generating a ton of useful feedback, and it means we'll be able to make the controller a lot better. Of course, it's also keeping us pretty busy making all those improvements. Realistically, we're now looking at a release window of 2015, not 2014."

Anyone who's been keeping an eye on the Steam controller will have noticed it has gone through quite a face-lift since its traditional layout [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128240-Valve-Reveals-the-Steam-Controller].

"Our number one priority is making sure that when you [get your hands on the Steam controller], you'll be getting the best gaming experience possible," stressed Hope.

Previously, a report from an inside source suggested the controller was being prepped for a November launch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133708-Report-Steam-Controller-Will-be-in-Your-Hands-By-November], and that it was the last thing that Steam Machines manufacturers were waiting for before shipping out the hardware.

Source: Polygon [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements/detail/1820891223906967821]

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Even controllers now? This year is gonna end in July then all the rest of the months will be delayed till 2015.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I know it's been getting fairly favourable impressions but I have to wonder who really is impacted by this. I mean, and I honestly wonder this, is there really that many people who were salivating over having one of these in their hands this year?

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
hhmmmm around the time source engine 2 should be finished....then they bring out new controler.....they woud need a game id imagine to get everyone behind it like they did with steam.......HALF=LIFE+3 CONFIRMED

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
I know it's been getting fairly favourable impressions but I have to wonder who really is impacted by this. I mean, and I honestly wonder this, is there really that many people who were salivating over having one of these in their hands this year?
It all depends on whether that haptic touchpad interface works as well as they claim. That could literally be a game-changer...but unfortunately we won't know until more than a handful of people get their hands on it (and developers get a chance to use it in new and interesting ways). If it's almost as precise as a mouse/keyboard setup, then it would certainly facilitate that move of the PC into the living room like Valve so desperately wants with this whole Steam box push, and would obviously shake up the console market as well (likely, Sony and MS and maybe Nintendo would quickly move to copy the interface if it really takes off).

Of course, that's a pretty lofty goal, and it likely won't reach it...but who can say for sure right now.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Ok, Valve, spend a few more months working on it, tweaking sensitivity, debugging drivers, etc. But, you gotta fix that horrible "d-pad" (the 360 would be my only non KB & M choice for PC games if it didn't have a crap d-pad for 2D games). There's tons of sidescrollers and other genres, on Steam much less PC in general, that work best with a Nintendo or Playstation style d-pad not a keyboard or touchpad[footnote]It's especially bad when I can't rebind keys and the developer thought they were geniuses to set actions to random keys on the left side and movement to arrow keys on the right making that left/right conflict really hard to fight in a world with d-pads on the left side of virtually every controller ever made. Also, I shouldn't have to move my KB 15-30cm to the left to comfortably play using a default layout.[/footnote]

Plus, I doubt anything besides some crazy 3D manipulation mice/controllers will ever replace the mouse and keyboard as the input method of choice for first person and RTS games. If I played on my TV more often, I'd get/make some kind of board to set my KB and M on.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Nowhere Man said:
...that horrendous D-Pad.
Hairless Mammoth said:
...that horrible "d-pad"
I don't get this complaint. I really don't. Especially when the Steam Controller configuration is compared to the Playstation "d-pad".

Other than button shape, they're exactly the same. They're both four separate buttons in a plus-shaped cluster. How is the Steam controller's version any worse?

Besides, Valve is unlikely to change it in any way that won't also apply to the a/b/x/y buttons on the right. They've made a point of saying that, from the outset, this controller was to be ambidextrously designed.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
What are the odds when this thing finally releases that it's just basically an xbox360 controller?

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Vigormortis said:

Other than button shape, they're exactly the same. They're both four separate buttons in a plus-shaped cluster. How is the Steam controller's version any worse?

Besides, Valve is unlikely to change it in any way that won't also apply to the a/b/x/y buttons on the right. They've made a point of saying that, from the outset, this controller was to be ambidextrously designed.
First, the button seem too far apart on the steam controller, second the playstation dpad button are actually link together under the cover of the controller, the steam controller one look more like simple button, which make it harder to get proper diagonal input.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Nowhere Man said:
...that horrendous D-Pad.
Hairless Mammoth said:
...that horrible "d-pad"
I don't get this complaint. I really don't. Especially when the Steam Controller configuration is compared to the Playstation "d-pad".

I think the problem some people are having are they're thinking that those arrow buttons are supposed to be a d-pad. They're not.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Gaben is love. Gaben is life.

If our lord wants to delay his second coming, who am I to second guess a god? Obviously we are not worthy.

OT: Guess I have to wait to get my controller.

By the way, is it me or is everything in 2014 getting delayed? 2014 might be the year in gaming where nothing happens.
Our GabeN,
Who art in Bellevue,
hallowed be Thy name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done,
through Steam as it is heaven.

I might add, its a slick looking controller. I really like the look of the thing overall. I've not had a console since the original exbawx, and haven't really enjoyed a controller since the gamecube.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
yeah, didnt expect it to come any sooner anyway.

Ultratwinkie said:
By the way, is it me or is everything in 2014 getting delayed? 2014 might be the year in gaming where nothing happens.
that would be a good thing, theres so much games to catch up on!

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Vigormortis said:
C'mon dude there is no possible way in any tangible dimension anyone can comfortably pivot their thumb against the 4 round directional buttons that Valve has so far provided. The Playstation d-pad buttons just by their very shape and proximity lend itself to easy handling. So does Nintendo's d-pad though I understand theirs is patented. The Xbox 360 d-pad kind of sucks but at least I can struggle to make it work accurately but you can't seriously look at Valves set up and tell me that those little round separated buttons make for a practical d-pad. They will have to at least make those buttons longer to make a practical difference.

I'm looking forward to everything else about this controller but still hope they update that d-pad lay out. And if those buttons aren't suppose to be a d-pad then I may as well stick with what I'm using now.

MattTHM

May 1, 2012
Something that's confused me when people say it won't be as good as the 360 pad for certain gametypes - will the 360 pad no longer be supported? I assumed that everyone who already had 360 pads could continue using them, and this new controller could be used in games where it isn't supported or Kb+M is the assumed input device.

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
MattTHM said:
Something that's confused me when people say it won't be as good as the 360 pad for certain gametypes - will the 360 pad no longer be supported? I assumed that everyone who already had 360 pads could continue using them, and this new controller could be used in games where it isn't supported or Kb+M is the assumed input device.
The 360 pad will continue to be supported. This is the PC platform we're talking about. PC means Freedom.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Ways to make a controller

Copy the GameCube controller

Put another shoulder button on the left

Profit

I am not a fan of the steam controller as it is, if it just works in games and i don't need to mess around with better DS3 tool then it may be worth it but they have to make it work well in the hand , i have not used it but i just don't see that design working, but then again you never know people may have said the same about the analog stick.